HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Once I have the Y-3 airframe in hand...I can see better how I will be mounting the main two forward fan units and the tail booms/edf unit/v-tail.

There are several projects on my "table" Im working on right now. I may do some on the y-3 initially...just have to see.

Ive had this project in my head for some time and was originally going to build the frame out of balsa. No one believed it could be done, but this Y-3 looks good enough to use as a base to work off of. Won't be a direct scale representation of the pic, but this will be a good test bed.

In all honestly, I hadnt planned on using a flight control board as all the mixing and stuff needed for 3 separate gyro axis could be done in my radio. But'''I bought a FC board to test out and it might work out better....we'll see.

The main way Im doing this is having the two forward edf units on the wing pylons mounted to heavy duty servos directly. They will tilt forward/aft by about 20-30 degrees by movement of the elevator stick for forward/back movement...basically just like a single rotor heli.

The edf motors themselves in those two locations would be run either using the FC board or a mix/gyro on the aileron channel to maintain level attitude.....which would then be mixed to the throttle

There would also be a mix on the rudder channel for the two forward edf units that would adjust the edf fans somewhat in opposite directions. This should allow turning in place. At more forward speeds, the v-tail would be more effective at turning the ship at the rear.

The rear edf unit would also be connected to the elevator for forward/back movement.

Anyway...I imagine I will have to replace the y-3 airframe a few times until I get the percentages right.

I might also just get a cheapo tri-copter frame to mount all the edf's too in order to test the mixes and precentages etc.before putting them in the y-3
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
So..to test my EDF setup...I bought a simple tri copter kit off ebay to install the stuff on to avoid damaging the Y-3 airframe kit just trying to figure out what will work.

As a bonus...the parts of that can be used to create the tail section of the Hunter-killer Terminator thingy when affixed to the Y-3 airframe.

For $30.....its not pretty, but it certainly will suffice as a test bed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A806-Y600-3-...item43b34ad675
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,055 Posts
@kahloq,

Nothing wrong with being novell, but you'll be testing a few unknown ideas in your design, namely EDFs instead of props, twin tilting front motors instead of tilting rear, and no gyro stabilisation. Maybe it will fly as well as that tricopter you linked from ebay with no tilt mechanisim, and no yaw control. Good luck! Let's see video of your attempts!
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:01 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Mine just arrived, and I must say I am impressed !!!
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:21 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Very well packaged, all up weight including very nicely machined yaw mechanism is 435grams. Very nicely trimmed and finished. Did I say I was impressed ?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
@kahloq,

Nothing wrong with being novell, but you'll be testing a few unknown ideas in your design, namely EDFs instead of props, twin tilting front motors instead of tilting rear, and no gyro stabilisation. Maybe it will fly as well as that tricopter you linked from ebay with no tilt mechanisim, and no yaw control. Good luck! Let's see video of your attempts!
I did mention gyros on all 3 axis mixed in the radio.....just not with a FC board.....also mentioned I will use an FC board if I need to.

The rear WILL be tilting, but the two front ones have the ability to tilt in opposite direction for yaw control. It would still be possible to keep the tail edf tilting side to side for yaw control instead of forward /back since the front two fans can tilt forward/back in unison or opposite.

Using edf's instead of props is not novell. Its been done quite a bit, just not on this specific frame since its new.

EDF-TriCopter v2_1_TiltGear.WMV (1 min 36 sec)

EDF-TriCopter v3.1 with ThrustVector-Gear.wmv (2 min 11 sec)

Tricopter EDF slow mo (2 min 41 sec)

Now...what would be really cool is too add an afterburner to the edf's like in this vid....but for the size of the y-3....too much extra weight and stuff to fit in frame
EDF Nachbrenner Afterburner - MSG Stiftland - Siegfried (2 min 51 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
THIS should give you ALL some inspiration...and maybe scare you a bit.
Hunter-Killer aerial Terminator, flying RC Model (2 min 3 sec)

Hunter-Killer Terminator flying part 2 (2 min 23 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
This one here has the rear "fan" unit tilt backwards to move the vehicle forward. Basically what I was thinking. The yaw control can be obtained by using some small wind vains below the rear fan unit. While technically this example is a ducted design, its obviously using normal props enclosed in a large duct. So....cant quite say its an edf....but the principles would be relatively similar....just need higher rpm's from a smaller EDF housing.

AirShip Endurance VTOL, RC model, project AirShip Technologies Group (ATG) (2 min 12 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
726 Posts
Kahloq- Inspiring for sure!

Thanks for sharing.
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
Parkzone collector supreme
Egypt, Cairo Governorate, Cairo
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Very cool, xtremely bad ass. I hope they ship fast.
Abdul Ghafur is offline Find More Posts by Abdul Ghafur
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
726 Posts
kaz1104,

How long did it take for HK to get it out of their doors to you?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:17 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin_Joes View Post
kaz1104,

How long did it take for HK to get it out of their doors to you?
I think it was 4 or 5 days before it was marked as shipped. They do state that there is a delay on shipping with this item. I have struck this with other items I have bought from HK also ... no idea why??

Got busy last night and have the yaw assembly fitted,
using this servo . http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24764.
Using 3 of these motors . http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
using 3 of the old atmega chip turnigy plush esc's that have been reflashed.
using an OpenPilot Copter Control flight board.
using (for now at least) FrSky 8 channel receiver and matching Tx module.
Will swap to Dragonlink for fpv if I can fit all the gear in it.
using one of these batteries . http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

So .. few notes.
The motors I chose are just high enough to get rear propeller to clear the body.
Yaw mechanism took a bit of fiddling to get it setup in a way I was happy with.
ESC's will poke out into the arms at the front but will need to monitor their temperature.
Used a distribution board mounted on standoffs under the flight controller plate.
Ample room to fit the 4000 mAh battery.

Mark
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:45 AM
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2006
329 Posts
Maiden mine this morning.

Y-3 Tricopter from Hobby King (3 min 52 sec)
Baca is offline Find More Posts by Baca
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:00 AM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
726 Posts
Baca, congrats on the successful maiden!

Can you share details on the electronic bits you didn't mention in the description of the YouTube video?

Thanks!

Neil
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:16 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,131 Posts
Nice job Baca .. nice flying. Noticed you used the bonus motor covers to house the yaw motor .. good thinking.