HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
283 Posts
Discussion
New Y-3 Frame from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_KIT_.html

I have already seen this frame here. Where did HK copy this frame from?

Looks nice. but shamelss copy
Morphin is offline Find More Posts by Morphin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:31 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphin View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_KIT_.html

I have already seen this frame here. Where did HK copy this frame from?

Looks nice. but shamelss copy
Where did you see the original? Probably not very crash resistant hey? This thing is sweet. Thanks for posting it.
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
283 Posts
I have found it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=tricopt
Morphin is offline Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
errr.... actually it is not a copy... it is the original! HK bought out the sole rights to it ..... don't ask me how I know!

One of the reasons I did not post anything further on it!

However, I can tell you that the production version had several improvements from the prototype;

1. Dual rear servo pushrods are solid pieces x2
2. All venting holes in the fuse are pre-cut
3. Inner frame has been totally redesigned to allow you to remove the FC mounting plate for very easy access to the wiring.

BTW- The photos on the HK site is of the prototype...the very same one! That one died after an inflight blade failure..... and yes the Tri is not very repairable... but at that price.... who cares!!!!!!
dtm360 is offline Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
i do!

so just incase hobbyking remove my comment as per usual i will post it here

doubt they will bother to fix the backend up to look nice as it was suggested to them to do so back in july?? search for a thread on rcg by dtm360 called "A Beautiful TriCoptor"

"if i really have to find something that i would like to see to improve design is that i also agree with the need for a rear motor canopy that rotates with the motor."

"and as other stated.. it needs something on the rear"

"Also the fuselage just stopping flat at the back is kinda weird. It just needs somthing to finish off the tail"

i like this quote from dtm360 the best!

"One thing we learnt today is that you cannot trust no brand 9g servos, even if they do have metal teeth! There was a massive amount of play from the servo (even from new) that the yaw motor almost self destructed itself vibrating like hell! The play certainly had a fairly large effect, but I'm not sure if the FC contributed also."

"I had a discussion with the designer on the rear motor cover. It would be easy to do, but the current design inspiration for the rear are the 1950-60 F1 cars with the exposed mechanical engines in the back."

"OK, heres the video link.... You can see the rudder servo going spastic when I first try to take off, I had to throttle back and start again. Anyway, does anyone know the issue with this?? I'm assuming it is the massive play the servo gear? Frightens the hell out of me when it goes like that in midflight because the Tri goes a little crazy at the same time"

dtm360 aka hobbyking? scared the**** out of me too mate

"However, today tried to push the envelope of flight and found a rather disturbing trait, which may be the FC or the Tri. When pushed for fast forward flight (I mean 30-45 deg attitude at full power!) The Tri could not hold the Yaw, it drifted to the right quite badly, doing a straight forward pass was quite difficult.. almost impossible. Also found that the rudder right was a lot more in command than rudder left!? It was almost like the rear servo did not have enough torque to hold it's position. This only happen when really pushing the power, switching off the auto-stability. It was during this time when vibration from the rear motor occurred again! But it was a lot less than before and only briefly during flight."

"The current Y4 prototype is the latter version! It is significantly stiffer than the FG."

"One more thing, the designer showed me some CAD drawings of a Y6. Has listened to pretty much all feedback, fully faired motors all round, removable wing, even more massive fuselage, easy conversion to Y4.... only one major difference.... the theme is not 'beautiful'. I can only find one word to describe it ..... ALIEN!! But seriously seriously awesome!!"

so y6 with fixed back end and fixed y4 any day now hobbyking?

A Beautiful TriCoptor Maiden on a windy day! (4 min 43 sec)

i have since read dtm360 does not work for hobbyking in any way?

the comment as posted on hobbyking today

neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Last edited by neobot; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
Pls do not associate me with HobbyKing!! I will take offense to such comments...... Hobbyking has a policy of discriminating against the locals... Hong Kong. Even thought they are located in Hong Kong. They block their website from local access via an IP block and will not sell to locals. This is all under a thinly disguised excuse of not letting anyone copy their products.... even the general public like me!

However, the more they block their website, the more tempting it is to 'get in' (but not to cause trouble).... as you can see from my post on their site!

My flying buddy is a supplier to HobbyKing, but business is business..... when I first created the thread, HK was not in the picture!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
.........so y6 with fixed back end and fixed y4 any day now hobbyking?
That would not be my business to comment!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
BTW - the Y4 design has been pretty much abandoned. The extra weight upsets the CG too much, also, it really did not give enough yaw authority without some weird height change characteristics.

The yaw servo vibration issue was pretty much fixed with the new linkages to reduce the play on only the servo gears and tweaking the FC (probably the main problem in the first place)..... However my prototype crashed with a blade failure before I could do any endurance testing on it......
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Would be better with a clear canopy and a pilot figure.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Ungifted Prodigy
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2012
288 Posts
already banned users really doesnt last for long

Lets keep it low
Multor is offline Find More Posts by Multor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Aug 2004
2,063 Posts
Nice frame. Could not help myself and I purchased one. Sad to hear of your issues with Hobbyking and its trading practices when it comes to locals dtm360, but I do appreciate your honest "review" of this frame's prototypes. Seem to be "standard" tricopter issues ...
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
Thks, It is actually a very nice frame/fuselage. You will like it, the profile of when it is flying is extremely nice!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Dreamer
Joined Aug 2004
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
Thks, It is actually a very nice frame/fuselage. You will like it, the profile of when it is flying is extremely nice!
I want to turn it into a slippery fpv machine, but that means cutting a camera location in the nice shiny canopy ... . Fitting all the other gear in will be a challenge too. I will work out the available room when it arrives. Is there enough room in the arms themselves to slide the esc's into them. Maybe a couple of cooling hole under the arms to keep the esc's happy?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
570 Posts
Unfortunately not, because of the vertical ply stiffners that run into the roots of the wing. However, if you have small fingers, you can mount the esc under the middle and rear sections, extend the FC mounting plate to the rear and have your fpv tx there. Up front there should be plenty of room for the camera. If you want also an osd.. ....you have a challenge!

Post some pics when you are done. Good luck,
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Dreamer
Joined Aug 2004
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
Unfortunately not, because of the vertical ply stiffners that run into the roots of the wing. However, if you have small fingers, you can mount the esc under the middle and rear sections, extend the FC mounting plate to the rear and have your fpv tx there. Up front there should be plenty of room for the camera. If you want also an osd.. ....you have a challenge!

Post some pics when you are done. Good luck,
Thanks again for the information dtm360. The y3 has not been posted by hobbyking yet, but it will arrive pretty quickly by ems post once it starts transit. When it arrives I will try and see what I can squeeze into the body. Would be nice to fit in osd, etc also.