HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:50 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Gallery
Show off your scale cockpits!

I love a nice scale cockpit and would love to see what you all can do.

I am just recently getting back into scale after several years. The following is my attempt at hacking up a handful of pieces from a HK cockpit kit. I still have some details to add, but so far am happy with it. As I learn more techniques, I hope to be able to scratch more of the details.

The kit is a Venom F-86 70mm with flaps, air retracts, and air brakes. The HK kit was designed for a 90mm-120mm model and adjustments were made accordingly.

Still needs a few details on the dials and a pilot.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:58 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,438 Posts
My nearlyl finished 1/5.5 scale Spitfire cockpit. Just need to build an airplane around it now!

Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:20 AM
SVX
Joined Oct 2002
624 Posts
Quote:
My nearlyl finished 1/5.5 scale Spitfire cockpit. Just need to build an airplane around it now!
Why hide it?

Of course seeing a Spit taken to the same level might be worth it.

Dust
SVX is offline Find More Posts by SVX
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,861 Posts
Chad, I was going to post some pics. But after seeing that cockpit I think I'm just going to pile my planes in the yard and set fire to 'em.

Really though, cockpits are one area of my builds that really suck. But I'm trying to improve.
Here's my best effort so far. The cockpit in my Cougar.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,000 Posts
A Few SMALL WW1 Cockpits -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,206 Posts
My Windrider Hurricane is a work-in-progress, cockpit about half done. Bit rough compared to most of the others. My claim to fame is that it has a "working" reflector gun sight.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
Great work fellas! Those are all really impressive; I have gotten some good ideas from all of you! I really like that LED, I may slip one into the F-86's gunsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Really though, cockpits are one area of my builds that really suck. But I'm trying to improve.

Julian
That was the main purpose of starting this thread; hopefully we can pick up some tips from the pros
One of the many things I want to learn is to see how others are making rails for sliding canopies. I want to be able to show off what is under the glass
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,438 Posts
Thank you Julian and SVX for the kind remarks. You two gentlemen do some pretty fantastic work so my head may be swelling as we speak!

Shnokey, those are just too cool!

Jeff, I have been to the Windrider web site at least a dozen times with my finger on the "purchase" button but have yet to pull the trigger. I have so many projects already that another one is a rediculous thought but I think it's only a matter of time. (And the new LX Wildcat too.) Your Hurri is looking great.

As a model maker by trade and a dyed in the wool detail freak I am lovin' this thread! Keep the pictures coming.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
OK, I'm reallly impressed but think that seats, with decent pilot figure, and an instrument panel with control stick or wheels add a lot to a model. Operable doors on a high winger are nice and made easier with use of R.E. magnets
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,000 Posts
got another for you - a 1/16 scale Sopwith Pup - 20" wingspan
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,307 Posts
You''re a master at those WW1 cockpits Shnokey. Great to look at and see in a flying model.
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:52 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,114 Posts
I really appreciate the detail in these cockpits; anyone have any new ones to add?

I have an update on my F-86 cockpit seen in my original post- I am trimming the pilot down and need to lower him by an additional 1-2 mm before the canopy will fit.

Do any of you all have suggestions or tips on how to make a functional (manual) sliding canopy? I have been wanting to try it, but am hesitant of destroying my canopy...

The pilot is by Rocco:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:40 AM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I really appreciate the detail in these cockpits; anyone have any new ones to add?
Still a loooong way to go but I'm slowly working up a cockpit kit for 1/6 scale Thunderbolts.

Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:53 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,606 Posts
Brilliant work, Chad. What do you use for instrument bezels?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85