HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Thanks
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,104 Posts
One more question that maybe can interest others also:

Will T14SG be able to log telemetry data to be saved as a file to the SD card so it can be opened and displayed on a PC later in an application? Or on any other device like iPhone, iPad for example?
Spektrum DX18 has telemetry datalogging that can be saved to SD card as file and be displayed in Spektrum STi app in iPhone/iPad.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
good question.

The SD cad is 4GB to 32GB so I assume the answer is yes...
Even the 2GB card was way too big for the 8FG type files.

What would be brilliant is that the radio is supplied with sftware that allows you set up the servo's rates and expo via a PC before downloading to the Tx. If those setting could transfer to realflight so that you can test fly the plane on the sim.......

ok pinch me
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2007
239 Posts
Snap flap and differential same as 12FG?

For us glider guiders I would really like confirmation whether the 14SG will do variable snap flap and aileron differential on the fly as well as expotential curve on the snap flap to elevator rate.

The current 8FG cannot do any of this, the best it can do is different snap flap and differential settings in the 5 flight modes (start, normal, speed, duration & landing) and the snap flap is linear with an offset option.

Otherwise I'll have to keep saving for a 12FG
Rooster-X is offline Find More Posts by Rooster-X
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Price-US$599

14SGA,SGH:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNCVPZ&P=G
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNCVRA&P=G

Been waiting a long time for this radio! Price is about right...
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Ben Gurion, Israel
Joined Sep 2004
871 Posts
Only thing left for Futaba is to make 5, 6, 7 channel receivers with telemetry for "normal" servos...
When that is will happen I will be the first to buy this radio.
eitanro is offline Find More Posts by eitanro
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Why would you want a 5or 6 channel RX with a 14 Ch radio?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:00 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Ben Gurion, Israel
Joined Sep 2004
871 Posts
for F3K (it will also be used for F5J)
eitanro is offline Find More Posts by eitanro
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:01 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Why would you want a 5or 6 channel RX with a 14 Ch radio?

Just because you have some airplanes that require advanced features doesn't mean that all your airplanes do. Not all my planes are 11 servo EDF jets with retracts, flaps, brakes, etc. A 5 CH RX would do great in my E-Flite PT-19, no need to spend $140 on a receiver when a $50 receiver will do.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
I ordered mine this am, and also use a code for $50.00 off.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post

Just because you have some airplanes that require advanced features doesn't mean that all your airplanes do. Not all my planes are 11 servo EDF jets with retracts, flaps, brakes, etc. A 5 CH RX would do great in my E-Flite PT-19, no need to spend $140 on a receiver when a $50 receiver will do.

- Birger
Point is that why have 5, 6 7 and 8, 9 10 and 14 channels receivers.
Having so many models eats into the sales of the others which lowerers unit volume.
The 3Ch R6203SB is great for gliders with its small footprint. Using S.bus also makes for simple neat installation.

Futaba is not going to offer all those different Rx models in future so best get used to it. IMO the 3Ch and 8Ch covers a lot of users. Even the FHSS Rx are 4 or 8Channel.

All those different TX models are going to fall away as well. Dinosaurs like the 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG, 7C and 6EX just add complexity to Product Management.

Personally, I get by using the 3ch and 8Ch now. I have R6008HS Rx as well which are non S.bus and wok well with planes requiring only 4 channels. The spare ports are just that. I only buy the 3Ch and 8Ch even though I don't always use every input port.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Does Tower still do the $100 off if you open a new account?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Bacause not everyone has an interest in using SBUS.

-Larger aircraft need more than 8 chls. I need 2X 8chl to fly my 100cc or give up tele functions of this radio.
-Smaller aircraft do not need 8 but it would be nice to use all the tele functions on a smaller unit.

Basically at this point you are buying a radio with great functions but stuck with an 8chl RX. Hey I can live with that but having a 6 and 14 make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Point is that why have 5, 6 7 and 8, 9 10 and 14 channels receivers.
Having so many models eats into the sales of the others which lowerers unit volume.
The 3Ch R6203SB is great for gliders with its small footprint. Using S.bus also makes for simple neat installation.

Futaba is not going to offer all those different Rx models in future so best get used to it. IMO the 3Ch and 8Ch covers a lot of users. Even the FHSS Rx are 4 or 8Channel.

All those different TX models are going to fall away as well. Dinosaurs like the 14MZ, 12Z, 12FG, 7C and 6EX just add complexity to Product Management.

Personally, I get by using the 3ch and 8Ch now. I have R6008HS Rx as well which are non S.bus and wok well with planes requiring only 4 channels. The spare ports are just that. I only buy the 3Ch and 8Ch even though I don't always use every input port.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Last edited by Slats!; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 AM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Bacause not everyone has an interest in using SBUS.

-Larger aircraft need more than 8 chls. I need 2X 8chl to fly my 100cc or give up tele functions of this radio.
-Smaller aircraft do not need 8 but it would be nice to use all the tele functions on a smaller unit.

Basically at this point you are buying a radio with great functions but stuck with an 8chl RX. Hey I can live with that but having a 6 and 14 make sense.
Adding a lower cost 6ch full range would definitely be a start but in my opinion not enough. As I have mentioned in the 8FG thread, I think that Futaba is doing themselves a disservice by limiting their RX range, think about it 3 & 8 ch are their flagship, full-reange RXs.

Let's say you are building a 60 sized sport plane with 5 servos (2 ail) which I would consider a pretty standard airplane for a good percentage of Futaba customers. What If you don't want a mid-range receiver and you don't want S.Bus, then your cheapest option is this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTHL6&P=0

By no means their flagship receiver but even then it is $90. For that price your frugal customer is really painted into a corner and has to consider alternatives, e.g.:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-tf...-receiver.html

where he/she can purchase 3 for the price of one.

Now, if Futaba offered a 5ch full range at a better price point, say $50, it would be a much easier decision to go for the real thing (or the aforementioned 6CH at an equivalent price point).

However, there are other challenges as well, I have a speed 400 pylon racer that requires very specific sized servos (in my case they are S3154 servos) and is extremely tight packaging. 2Ail, Ele and ESC requires 4CH and there are no s.Bus version of the S3154 so I need 4ch in order to use snap flaps for faster turns. There is no space for a decoder in the fuselage so I would love a full range 4ch receiver in a super compact package, this would be ideal if it was 4ch:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCHXE&P=0

But unfortunately it is only 3ch as a port is dedicated to s.Bus. Could they make a version that was 4ch with no s.Bus port? Absolutely, and probably pretty easily, it may be as simple as just different software on the receiver, but they choose not to, again, in my opinion, doing themselves a disservice. So what are the alternatives to this packaging conundrum, again only choice is 3rd party:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/tfr4-b.html

And I could come up with more examples (every modeler has at least one) but you get the point.

Now I understand that everyone has a different opinion and no amount of arguing on my side is going to change yours. Conversely, no amount of arguing on your side is going to change my opinion. What Futaba needs to understand is how many people fall in with my opinion and whether or not they are interested in changing how they operate to capture us as customers for this segment of the market? If they are not then so be it, we will have to continue searching for the solution that is best for us.

Respectfully,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Sorry Slats!, I quoted the wrong thread. I am agreeing with you and trying to make an argument for more RX choices. I meant to quote TimBle thread (same one you quoted) but hit the wrong button.

In the case of both, this is again just my opinion, it's not worth more than 2 cents.

Again respectfully,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member