HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:25 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
bsbauman,

That's quite all right.

It confirms all my prejudice about Spek but only being an owner of a DM8 module, I can't speak with authority.

Just look at all the threads where someone is bitching about Spek and compare that with Fut, tells me all I need to decide which brand to stick with.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:32 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,630 Posts
I admit, it is difficult not to sound bitter considering the number of lockouts and other issues I have had with the DS6i all the way up to the 11x...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I admit, it is difficult not to sound bitter considering the number of lockouts and other issues I have had with the DS6i all the way up to the 11x...
I have to +1 to that.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:44 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
I don't know how many times I see people at the field trying to bind a Spektrum RX that lost binding for no reason. Of the 6 years I used FASST, never once did I need to rebind anything.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:02 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
810 Posts
I guess I was fortunate enough to do some research on the different brands out there before moving to a 2.4 GHz system, and decided that Futaba was the best for me. I used to fly JR, and it was a difficult decision as JR served me well on 72MHz. Do not regret the decision one bit!!! Although I have not had the luxury of having witnessed the Spektrum issues first hand, I have seen a number of guys at our club struggling with binding issues, glitches, bugs, and quirks that created frustration and some lost planes.

In the three years of using my Futaba 8FG and FASST, I have had absolutely NO issues. I would not hesitate to buy another Futaba radio. Would really like to move to the 14SG, but darn it, the 8FG has been so reliable and does everything I need it to and more, that am finding it difficult to justify a new purchase. But me likey 14SG!!!!!!
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:19 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,630 Posts
I am on the 10c and more channels would allow me to use less y-harnesses on my big planes, and allow me to trim individual control surfaces. I am currently using all channels on my giant P-47, and I have been flying on fixed gear. When the Robart giant electrics get to market (supposed to be the same time as this radio), I am going to have to add another y-harness if I the new tx does not arrive before hand...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:21 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,091 Posts
Electric Helicopter Rotor Speed Telemetry

I would like to use an optical sensor to detect and display rotor speed for an electric helicopter. I understand that the relatively low speed of a helicopter rotor is kind of iffy to read accurately optically so I plan to try painting several reflective stripes on the main gear for the sensor to read. The instructions I have say to input the number of propeller blades and it will determine rpm using that information. It seems to me that the more stripes I paint, the more accurate the reading will be so will someone with a 14SG please look at the rpm menu and let me know the maximum number of propeller blades that can be entered. It is too cold right now to fly so this would be a good time to get the chore done. Then it will be ready when the system finally ships here in this country.

Thanks in advance!

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:20 PM
Grasse, France
Joined Aug 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
I would like to use an optical sensor to detect and display rotor speed for an electric helicopter. I understand that the relatively low speed of a helicopter rotor is kind of iffy to read accurately optically so I plan to try painting several reflective stripes on the main gear for the sensor to read. The instructions I have say to input the number of propeller blades and it will determine rpm using that information. It seems to me that the more stripes I paint, the more accurate the reading will be so will someone with a 14SG please look at the rpm menu and let me know the maximum number of propeller blades that can be entered. It is too cold right now to fly so this would be a good time to get the chore done. Then it will be ready when the system finally ships here in this country.

Thanks in advance!

Later;

D.W.
Hi DW,
The optical settings for the blade are up to 10 blades
Kr
AL
Alfourbe is offline Find More Posts by Alfourbe
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:28 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfourbe View Post
Hi DW,
The optical settings for the blade are up to 10 blades
Kr
AL
Thank you very much!

Have a great day.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:31 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,630 Posts
Good Lawd! 10 Blades

What aircraft have 10 bladed props?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
I wish this thing would hurry up and get here in the us. I just finished putting my models in my sons 7C so l could fly them. I had to put my planes in heli mode to get my throttle curves that I'm used to having. It's a nice radio but not as nice as my old 8fg. So l really want the 14sg to show up. Just not used to how the 7C feels.

Dang that just got me thinking l could of used my brothers 10c since he is now using my old 8fg. Might have to stop by his place tomorrow. That radio still didn't feel as nice as the 8fg. Though it has the programming to set up my planes right.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:43 PM
Tandoori lamb chop in space?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,627 Posts
Yeah, 10 is a weird number from a computer standpoint also. Why not 8, 9, or 16?
I'm guessing the high number can be useful in some cases where you might want to monitor the spokes of the gear instead of the rotor head.

Why doesn't Futaba offer a direct RPM sensor like this? Eagle Tree brushless sensor
That optical stuff is expensive and a pain to mount, especially in airplanes but even worse in cars and boats.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:11 AM
Grasse, France
Joined Aug 2006
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Yeah, 10 is a weird number from a computer standpoint also. Why not 8, 9, or 16?
I'm guessing the high number can be useful in some cases where you might want to monitor the spokes of the gear instead of the rotor head.

Why doesn't Futaba offer a direct RPM sensor like this? Eagle Tree brushless sensor
That optical stuff is expensive and a pain to mount, especially in airplanes but even worse in cars and boats.
10 is just a divisor, no link with IT stuff, but I was surprising me it starts from 2 blades, not 1 only, but no problem. 10 blades can be found on EDF system...

The eagle tree system is more restrictive. First it is only for electric motor brushless, then on an helicopter you'll get the rpm of the motor, not of the main rotor...which is less user friendly...
Alfourbe is offline Find More Posts by Alfourbe
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:07 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Well, for the first time, probably, I have run into minor limitations with this Tx (8FG/14SG). Long time ago since I looked for logical switches and had almost finished setting up a model (as plane). The glider program is a bit extended but they werent there either - or am I just missing something?
Still happy with the 14sg so wont keep wining about missing stuff... maybe
numnutchris is online now Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:09 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
Well, for the first time, probably, I have run into minor limitations with this Tx (8FG/14SG). Long time ago since I looked for logical switches and had almost finished setting up a model (as plane). The glider program is a bit extended but they werent there either - or am I just missing something?
Still happy with the 14sg so wont keep wining about missing stuff... maybe
Logic switches are only available on the 8FG/14SG for selecting different flight conditions. This still gives quite a lot of scope but it depends on what you are trying to do.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt