Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:58 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
How do the BLS173SV and the BLS173SVi differ from each other? Website specs are identical to each other...
I am not sure. One of the technologies that is coming is servo feedback to the Tx. I suspect the "i" is for intelligent or integrated which, and I am going out on a limb here, is the technology whereby the servo can feedback and tell the Tx how its operating. This may open other possbilities like intelligent servo balancing where the Servo's are able to balance each other through comparing loads and amp draw and voltage i.e so they talk to the Tx and each other like components in a PC do.

Only difference in the discription is that the "i" version has a 300mm long servo lead. I can;t see if both have the plug in servo lead or not. None of the new servo's have any meaningful descriptions added yet. I guess we wait till February for the software updates, datalogging from the Rx to Pc and other announcements that will cover the new S.bus2 servo's as well
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Last edited by TimBle; Jan 01, 2013 at 03:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:53 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
I often wondered about servo feedback to stick-feel, to emulate the full-size experience, imagine this coupled with FPV... Just wondering.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Thats also possible Andy. This S.bus stuff opens possibilities that is limited only by the affordability of the technology. But if we consider that Futaba's high end S.bus BLS servo's are less than 10% more expensive than their non S.bus brothers I guess there is lot more that can be packaged into an affordable case.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:19 AM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
320 Posts
Weight savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

I eagerly await more newsopcorn

I can appreciate the simplicity of the S.Bus wiring and how it cleans up the wiring inside my plane. I also like that I can program all the servos through the SBus programming. But those features alone have not inspired or motivated me to incorporate SBus into any of my aircraft yet. I am curious, are there other features that are currently available that I am not aware of?

Your comment about the micro SBus servos instigated my question. With a micro there is typically no need for servo extensions so clutter is minimal; aside from programming which can be done with other devices, what other benefits could a micro SBus offer?
Regarding the micro servos and SBus, my main competitive interest is soaring. On my Open class planes I save an ounce of weight and the associated wiring mess. I also fly 2 Meter planes where the space is tighter and weight is more critical. With a custom made harness I can save an ounce.

With the guys flying the micro electric aerobatic planes, the are striving for light weights. Combining wires and reducing will save weight.

Also remember you can use a 3 channel receiver which is smaller and lighter.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
dnbarrie11 is offline Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Last edited by dnbarrie11; Jan 01, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:23 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbarrie11 View Post
Also remember you can use a 3 channel servo which is smaller and lighter.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba

Early morning typo for my friend from the desert. He means a 3-channel receiver, like the R6203SB or the R6202SBW.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
It is not clear if the data rates or latency of the sbus + telemetry would be adequate to support meaningful realtime force feedback.

Plus of course you would have to throw away your shiny new 14sg (or even more expensive 18mz) and buy a new, more expensive TX with force feedback hardware integrated with the gimbals.

So while a cool idea, it seems unlikely realtime force feedback is coming any time soon.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Last edited by kgfly; Jan 02, 2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
@Tim and Dnbarrie~ Thanks for the info; you guys have me extremely excited for new updates, I might just convert a plane or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
I often wondered about servo feedback to stick-feel, to emulate the full-size experience, imagine this coupled with FPV... Just wondering.

A.
My RVOSD generation 5 cant change the way your sticks feel, but in terms of recreating the "full-scale" experience, it really does great work. Aside from having more features than I can list (see link below), it can operate in fly-by-wire mode.

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:28 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post

A.
I've tried force feedback game controllers and was always very disappointed and ended up turning it off. It doesn't compare in the slightest to full size aircraft flying. The cost of building a realistic system would most likely be prohibitive, but then a few years ago I wouldn't have believed anyone would pay $3000.00 for a R/C transmitter... The size and weight of a realistic feeling system is another thing. Simulators for full size aircraft do it, but they use a room full of equipment. My guess would be that it will not happen in my lifetime.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:18 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
I had an idea years ago to attach servos to the centring springs on the sticks to increase or decrease the tension dependant on the current draw from the servo. It would probably be possible to do but not with modern fully stuffed Tx cases.

Still, it's something for the manufacturers to think about... anyone for a $4000 Tx.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
this is the DX18QQ short story enjoy! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1316
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:08 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
this is the DX18QQ short story enjoy! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1316
Scary....if they cannot get it right with this model, then I really hate to think of the quality of the lower end units!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:25 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
I also learned about Spektrum the hard way.

Failures with several of their radios caused the loss of several aircraft. I switched to Futaba and have not looked back since. I now fly a 10c (9c for backup has never been needed) and it is amazing how much more aggressive my flying has become. I attribute it to having 100% more confidence in my radio as I have not had the slightest hint of signal failure.

The terms Blackout, Brownout, and Lockout do not seem to exist in the futaba world.
As stated above- you get what you pay for.
That said, I am confident Fut will not undercut their quality standards to release the 14sg. This radio is a game changer for all those that want futaba quality but did not make the jump because of lack of telemetry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Be careful, the Spektrum Men in Black will be visiting your home to Spektralise you....
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:59 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
Well based on my own experiences with my own aircrafts, and from watching so many failures first hand of other persons' aircrafts, lets cross our fingers they do not force me to fly any of my giants on their signal.

Spectrum is totally responsible for how I feel about their quality and for how I feel about their radio signal. But there is some good, in that I finally made the jump to Futaba and dont regret it one bit.

After having flown Futaba for about 1.5 years now, they have totally won me as a customer. I was formerly a DSMx user, but experienced too many issues (one should have been enough for me to move on). The time to make a decision came after I lost another plane, this time a smaller P-47 with retracts due to an lockout where I had absolutely no control over the plane in the air.

At the time, I was flying other aircraft with 20+ inch props and I could not feel comfortable putting those back in the air; I felt like I was risking the safety of anyone around since it could go out of control for no identifiable reason.

While I recognize we risk our aircraft every time we take off, and there is going to be a certain failure rate with any product, I believe in giving oneself every opportunity possible to succeed and that starts with choosing the best radio for your needs and environment.

I have heard for years, "...Ive used DSM technology for years without failure..." To them I say it is only a matter of time. Several of my close flying buddies used to tell me that all the time; since then most have experienced failure (sometimes 3-5 failures) before eventually converted to FASST and FASSTest
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:01 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,192 Posts
Sorry for ranting... it is late
RCG Plus Member