HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Unbelievable... here's my vote. I don't care if it comes with the SDcard or not, what I want is the Futaba Radio. I can care less if Spektrum has them or not.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Jun 2004
357 Posts
VESPA,

what do you find "crappy" about the 617rx?
Pilot232 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot232
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,541 Posts
Sure, they can include 5 SD cards, 3 receivers, or whatever else that pleases you. But if the radio is inferior, I'd take still take a quality radio without a SD card.

None of my Canon cameras come with SD/CF card. None of my airplane come with motor or servos. But guess what, the plug and play toys I bought from ToysRUs comes with everything, even a charger for the included puffy lipo. You should be all over those.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post

what do you find "crappy" about the 617rx?
To me there’s nothing wrong with the 617, which is Futaba’s work horse receiver (I own 11 of them). But that rx most likely be replaced with a FASSTest receiver.

But, that's just my opinion,
Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
463 Posts
Mike,

I have passed this information on to Futaba/Hobbico in the past and will do it again. I will see if I can get an explanation as to why it isn't included.

As far as listening to customers, believe me we do. These forums are regularly monitored by Futaba and Hobbico and information passed along to those who liaison with Futaba Japan.

My point was to simply say that people will always find something to complain about. Complaining about not supplying something that is not even needed for operation seems petty.

I have never mentioned the competition by name and will not, despite having first had knowledge of problems, failures and other issues. I was not "calling out," customers, simply making a comment based on posts here. Never called anyone "wrong."

As you can see from other posts, the lack of a SD card isn't too concerning to others.

I think you'll find that Futaba FASST and FASSest systems are the finest system on the market. Futaba has been in the 2.4 business for well over a decade in the industrial market. This knowledge was passed down to the the RC market with a product that are unequaled in the market.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Well as a representative for "Team" Futaba you might want to listen to customers and not complain and call out your customer base, when they show fault.

This is clearly a miss - especially at this price point. Plain and simple.

As a marketing professional myself I have learned a couple of things I NEVER do with my customers:
  • Ignore what the customer is saying
  • Call my customers "wrong"
  • Bad mouth my competition to sell my product

Mike
dnbarrie11 is online now Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbarrie11 View Post
I have passed this information on to Futaba/Hobbico in the past and will do it again. I will see if I can get an explanation as to why it isn't included.
That is great - it is nice to have someone who can help. I just think it is funny that a $600 radio doesn't come with a $2 part. Not the end of the world - but odd.

Quote:
As far as listening to customers, believe me we do. These forums are regularly monitored by Futaba and Hobbico and information passed along to those who liaison with Futaba Japan.
I agree I think they listen - and are doing great things like Telemetry. Futaba is WAY behind the game on this.

Quote:
My point was to simply say that people will always find something to complain about. Complaining about not supplying something that is not even needed for operation seems petty.

I have never mentioned the competition by name and will not, despite having first had knowledge of problems, failures and other issues. I was not "calling out," customers, simply making a comment based on posts here. Never called anyone "wrong."
Calling customers petty is also wrong.

Your first two lines are where I think you call out as wrong - but I certainly don't want to put words in your mouth.

Quote:
As you can see from other posts, the lack of a SD card isn't too concerning to others.
I suspect you are right - some just like to complain but to me it is all about making a "slick" package. When I plunk down $600 bucks I want a few things in a radio system.

It should have the following:
  • A battery
  • A charger
  • A neck strap
  • Support and service

When it uses SD technology for stuff - it should also include an SD card. Just one more thing to "impress" the buyer. I have a complete package - yea!

I understand why Futaba might want to sell systems without servos - just too many plane types to be valuable. I also like companies that sell TX only setups. I wish Futaba did more of that - as I have plenty of Futaba receivers and again the type you include may not work for my 4oz or 40lb airplane.

Quote:
I think you'll find that Futaba FASST and FASSest systems are the finest system on the market. Futaba has been in the 2.4 business for well over a decade in the industrial market. This knowledge was passed down to the the RC market with a product that are unequaled in the market.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
I am well aware of FASST systems and have used them a great deal. In fact I reviewed both the 6EX (Futaba's first air 2.4GHz system) and the 7C 2.4GHz systems right here for RCG on the eZone magazine. Both are great systems giving me flawless performance. I still use the 7c today - all with zero issues.

I have also reviewed and tested the Hitec A9 and many of the Spektrum Systems. All have pro's and con's and as you point out none are perfect. I wish I could combine the programing of the A9 (simply brilliant) with the power of Spektrum DX18's mixes and flight conditions, sliders, superior feel (very important) along with an LiFe TX pack, built in chargers and a FASST RF link and telemetry into one system.

I just wish Futaba had been quicker to market with their industrial knowledge. I still find it almost impossible to imagine how when they had things so together in the industrial world they watched Spektrum DOMINATE the early market and have allowed the same thing to happen again with telemetry in the hobby 2.4GHz market.

I really like the Futaba 14 - and will likely even get one and buy myself an SD card. . I like how it is the first system to support ALL the Futaba protocols so you can use any receivers especially the lower price point stuff that works so well. But with FASST compatibles in the market there is less a need there certainly.

Thanks for taking the comments to the Futaba folks - I will drop my contacts a line too.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Dec 24, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
USA, OH, Warren
Joined Jan 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Mike,

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
the only thing i dont like is that it doesnt have flight modes in airplane menu it has them for heli and glider.
there are other brands like hitec and airtronics has them. i dont know about others but it seems like it should have them for the price they are asking.
cap23244 is offline Find More Posts by cap23244
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:52 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,664 Posts
Pilot232, I mention the 617RX because it is their cheapest full range receiver and is often included as a free bonus. With no failsafe, HS mode, or s.bus it's "crappy and obsolete" compared to Futaba's other receivers.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap23244 View Post
the only thing i dont like is that it doesnt have flight modes in airplane menu it has them for heli and glider.
there are other brands like hitec and airtronics has them. i dont know about others but it seems like it should have them for the price they are asking.
It's been pointed out many times that you can still do most of what you could want without flight modes. The programming is very flexible as far as switch assignments to different rates and mixes.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grummingoose View Post
I cannot find any updates for the 14SG - do you have a link please?
Hello

You must go here
http://www.robbe.de/?___store=en&___from_store=fr

Merry Christmas to all

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
MADISONMaster: I also have a MX-20 and I am sorry to say, the quality is just not there compared to the Futaba products. Yeah it has synthesized voice, but they too have gone through several revisions to get to where they are now. By the way, Graupner is on the brink of bankruptcy, so you may have an orphan radio soon.
I had already Graupner since years (work very good and no problem's - menus are very well done) and never worry if it is not updated, I do not see what we can add it, it has everything and at least the voice synthesis works good !

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Slyne
Joined Jul 2008
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADISONMaster View Post
Hello

You must go here
http://www.robbe.de/?___store=en&___from_store=fr

Merry Christmas to all

MADISONMaster
Thanks for that, however, I think I'll wait for the Futaba updates to appear.

My box contained the "heli" ratchet so have changed it over, I only fly fixed wing but prefer the smooth ratchet. The charger is well thought out, a fly lead is included meaning I can charge at 600ma using an accucell 6 which stops charging when full.

Took me a bit of time taking the back cover off the TX, unscrewed the four screws on the rear, after a bit of head scratching, realised the antenna housing has to be removed before the cover is able to come off. The ratchet fixing is slightly different to the 8FG, the screw holding it in place is on the top of the tension release mechanism for the throttle. There is also a plastic piece in the same packet as the ratchet which I assume can be fitted under the ratchet making it slide even easier.

Removing the rubber grips was quite easy, not "nail breaking" as mentioned earlier in this thread. Just make sure you remove them as discussed on page 17 of the manual.

Another head scratching moment for me was, when choosing transmitting mode "FASST, FASSTEST etc. there is a "G" that can be changed to "F". Eventually found it means General "G" and France "F"

I hope the U.S. get there accreditation soon so that this thread can be as informative as the 8FG has been. Also hope Malcolm can incorporate the additions of the 14SG into his notes. They are a great help.
grummingoose is offline Find More Posts by grummingoose
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
463 Posts
The other way:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grummingoose View Post
Thanks for that, however, I think I'll wait for the Futaba updates to appear.

My box contained the "heli" ratchet so have changed it over, I only fly fixed wing but prefer the smooth ratchet. The charger is well thought out, a fly lead is included meaning I can charge at 600ma using an accucell 6 which stops charging when full.
I think you may have gotten it backwards. The heli radio has the smooth throttle stick and the airplane version has the ratchet.

Glad you got it fixed.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Team Futaba
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Slyne
Joined Jul 2008
176 Posts
Quote:
I think you may have gotten it backwards. The heli radio has the smooth throttle stick and the airplane version has the ratchet.

Glad you got it fixed.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Team Futaba
Hi Darwin sorry if you misunderstood my post - the TX had the airplane ratchet in and I changed it to the smooth one, which I prefer.
grummingoose is offline Find More Posts by grummingoose
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:41 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
463 Posts
Still good

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Pilot232, I mention the 617RX because it is their cheapest full range receiver and is often included as a free bonus. With no failsafe, HS mode, or s.bus it's "crappy and obsolete" compared to Futaba's other receivers.
As was noted in another post, all radio systems are in a continuous process of evolution. The 617 is still an excellent receiver and still the receiver that comes in several systems. I still use the 617 in several planes.

I have transitioned most of my competitive models to SBus.

Keep in mind that the vast majority will never actually program failsafe or use SBus and most could never tell the difference between a standard receiver and High Speed. I know I can't.

I definitely don't see it as crappy or obsolete. It is a very reliable receiver that will work for most of what people will fly.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba