SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:33 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
No FCC entry for the 14SG yet (search on Grantee Code of AZP). Once that's published, we should know if the RF supports S-FHSS.

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Hi guys, while we are a bit early in the release of the 14SG. I'll try to answer some of your questions about it. Here are answers to the questions I can recall so far. Btw, the 14SG web page will be up soon, so keep checking at www.futaba-rc.com

Case- no it's not the same as the 8FG, the feel is very solid, switch spacing is wider (like the 18MZ), rubber grips on the sides and back.

Modulation: FASST, FASSTest, and yes...S-FHSS!

Telemetry, with vibration alerts, louder beeper also.

Programming is very similar to the 8FGS.

SensorTouch programming dial has been improved, it also has two buttons. You'll read more about these when the web page is up.

6v 1700 NiMH pack for power. I don't have run times yet, but so far it looks like well over 4 hours depending on how much you use the backlighting.

That's it for now, let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to answer them.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Thanks for confirming Steve

Glad I got most of it right but I figured Hobbico would go the same way as Robbe with Lithium based batterise for the Tx. Why have you not opted for this direction? I asked a bunch of questions on the other forum as well so I won'r t repeat here
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
Great news Steve! Thanks for sharing. Got my credit card ready!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,195 Posts
Steve,

How it is with conditions in T14SG - will it be airplane conditions (not only for sailplane/helicopter) and how many conditions in such case (8 like in 12FG/12Z/14MZ/18MZ?)?

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Steve's checking on the conditions. I'm sort of suspecting it will have conditions in airplane mode. It would be a shot in the foot if they don't include conditions in such a complex radio.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
Hi guys,
---

That's it for now, let me know if you have additional questions and I'll try to answer them.

Steve
Any way to transfer models from 8FG to 14SG; considering the programming, as Ive filled up the poor 20 internals long time ago and have several on the SD card too...
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Yes, you can transfer models from the 8FG to the 14SG.

Battery-wise, I really don't have the answer to that question.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
Any way to transfer models from 8FG to 14SG; considering the programming, as Ive filled up the poor 20 internals long time ago and have several on the SD card too...
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ukraine, Odes'ka oblast, Odesa
Joined Nov 2007
3 Posts
What type of sticks? 1 or 2 bearings on the axle?
fronktktmen is offline Find More Posts by fronktktmen
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
The gimbals are the same as the 8FGS, dual ball bearing. They also include tension adjustment however.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronktktmen View Post
What type of sticks? 1 or 2 bearings on the axle?
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,046 Posts
In Japan:

http://translate.google.com/translat...factoryhayashi

http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/...c0c23a4a6a.jpg
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,784 Posts
S-fhss ?

How many channels does Futaba S-FHSS support. There are only 8-channel receivers so you will have to go to FASST or FASSTest. Also does S-FHSS have programmable failsafe just like FASST? Cost is not that big of a deal for me so I will just continue to use FASST.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
How many channels does Futaba S-FHSS support. There are only 8-channel receivers so you will have to go to FASST or FASSTest. Also does S-FHSS have programmable failsafe just like FASST? Cost is not that big of a deal for me so I will just continue to use FASST.

I found the answer. FHSS is 4 channels and designed for RTF applications and park flyers. S-FHSS is 6 or 8 channels and I think it’s full range.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Yes S-FHSS is ful range but will also be available in many Futaba Transmitter Ready products.

FHSS is 4 channel and S-FHSS is 6-8 channel but the same aircraft can be flown in both Rx modes. It just enables the purchaser to fly the aircraft with either a 6J or a 14SG or 18MZ.

FASST is now a legacy system and I doubt any new hardware will be launched using purely FASST. The future for Futaba is FASSTest and FHSS/S-FHSS so new TX and Rx will be launched in these formats.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Yes S-FHSS is ful range but will also be available in many Futaba Transmitter Ready products.

FHSS is 4 channel and S-FHSS is 6-8 channel but the same aircraft can be flown in both Rx modes. It just enables the purchaser to fly the aircraft with either a 6J or a 14SG or 18MZ.

FASST is now a legacy system and I doubt any new hardware will be launched using purely FASST. The future for Futaba is FASSTest and FHSS/S-FHSS so new TX and Rx will be launched in these formats.
Given the speed that Futaba phases out products and the large amount of FASST only transmitters still for sale new, I can imagine that FASST only receivers will be around for a very long time to come. I would be surprised if in 10 years time, you can't buy new FASST receivers (unless the RF chipset manufacturer discontinues it). I think FASSTest uses the exact same chipset as FASST anyway, if so supporting FASST is only a software issue. In fact I believe that there are several versions of FASST anyway and the newer receivers supports all of them?

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member