SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
Looks very nice. If the software has all the power of the 12FG, then I'd be very surprised to see the 12FG remain in the lineup.
I wonder what the battery setup is on this new radio? In the photographs, the indicated voltage on the screen is 6.1V, a tad low for a 6 cell Nimh, or 2s Lipo, or LiFe. Or maybe the battery was running low during the photo session.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
I would have preferred that the screen be moved up higher so it’s easier to see the telemetry parameter values.

I also hope that it has a louder alarm. If you set telemetry parameters to sound the alarm when out of range you want to be able to hear it over the noises of flying.

It will be interesting to hear some reports from owners. I’m sure that it will be an extremely popular radio.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
what's the next version ? 14SG super with 20 channel...
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
gonna take a while but I've got the ok from the Minister of Household Finance to order one.

I've got a 6EX I'm going to flog so the old 8FG will just be a Slope, Parkie and Back up radio.

I believe the 14SG will have as standard one of Futaba's 6.6V LiFePO4 Tx battery packs that are becoming the norm. Another reason for the added cost is the charger that will be supplied for this battery pack.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
what's the next version ? 14SG super with 20 channel...
Why not – it’s only software.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
If the 630 euro price holds true, then the 14SG may well come in below $700 from Tower. You would only apply the euro/usd conversion if you were actually ordering the radio from a dealer in the Eurozone, I think? The 8FGs is $479 msrp from Tower and the 8FGs is 469 euros through Robbe. I've noticed the same narrow spread in Usd to Euro between other identical Futaba items on Robbe and Towers sites.
Pete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I would have preferred that the screen be moved up higher so it’s easier to see the telemetry parameter values.
I'm a neck-strap guy, so I hears you
For my 2 cents, the Robbe/Futaba telemetry add on box is offers better functionality than the screen in the radio, well maybe with the exception of the 18MZ
The Robbe box looks nice on the handle of the 8FG and it has audio out for an ear-bud, so you can hear alerts and voices in your head. Right now I'm hearing a voice telling me it's time to go for the Pizza, oh wait, that's my wife
Pete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
Slovenská republika, Trnavský kraj, Dunajská Streda
Joined Feb 2009
2 Posts
Manual please??
nagyb is offline Find More Posts by nagyb
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
I really hope it is I was going to get the 8fg when it came out years back and didn't like the feel.

If its a different case and has Aero flight conditions I am all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
its a completely different case. It looks very similar but there difference are clear when you look at the posted image and one of an 8FG(S).

For starters, the aluminium inlay is a different shape with bigger radii at the outer edges.
The lower edges are less raked.
The rear of the cassing has an ergo section and the side panel extending to the rear is either a softer rougher plastic or rubber (the image above is a model of the radio not the final product).
The screen in the 14SG is slightly bigger
The dials are angled differently and the LED's for power and transmission are positioned closer to the dial switches.

The touch pad is similar to that used on the 8J in that it is illuminated. The 8FG(S) does not have an illuminated touch pad.

The mechanical chassis underneath all that is still similar to the 8FG(S) as can be seen by the layout of the switches, sticks and trim switches
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Something like this below, the new Jeti DS-16 LCD screen is about in right place in my opinion. Probably this will be more common to have the LCD screen at the top, at least that is my wish. Also for Futaba radios in the future.
And crystal clear LCD screen, the screen on my 14MZ is not much to look at while flying in sun, You just can not see anything really since the screen is not bright enough in sunshine (18MZ screen is better).
Robbe/Futaba external telemetry box is actually rather good in this point of view that it can be mounted in antenna hole (on 12FG/12Z/14MZ för example) and get good distance up on transmitter where You can glance at it quickly.
http://www.algonet.se/~boem/Telemetr...1666/F1666.pdf

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Will it still need an external display to actually show telemetry data as the few images just show 8FG/S style screen layouts - and only the protocol is updated with telemetry/FASSTest?
numnutchris is online now Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
I don't think the telemetry data would be included on the "home" screen. One possibility would be to have the telemetry data screen accessed by touching the enter button, just as you now toggle between the normal screen and the zoom timer screen.
Pete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
Remember Tower price is excl GST (General Sales Tax) while the Robbe price includes Value Added Tax ( VAT @19%) for Europe.
The GST is California is 9.5% IIRC?

so now you can do the leveling math to check the price difference
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
Since Tower is located in Illinois, someone from California will not be taxed on their order. Only if the retailer has a store or facility in your state will you pay your states sales tax. Tower has a warehouse in Nevada, so I suspect someone living there would be charged the Nevada sales tax, as would the resident of Illinois.
Still too many other variables when comparing European prices and US prices. I just went back into Robbe's site to compare some other Futaba radios. From Tower a 12FG will be $999, less any of Towers deals that could be between 5 and 10% off that price with free shipping in the lower 48 states. Robbe's price is over 1100 Euros for the same radio, so as I see it, when Tower lists the msrp, then I'll know what one will cost me. My best guesstimate will be around $679 from Tower.
Pete
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
my point was merely that the European price will seem high because tax is included.