SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:35 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
I fly a 14mzpretty awesome radio. Expensive yes. Will be getting the 18mz in the near future why. Simple Futaba has the best system out there hands down. I will also be getting the 14sg. Again why simple its the best system. I would never trust a $2000 plus plane to a substandard system.
I look at Jr/spectrum and how many different modulations have they gone through its ridiculous. Futaba has put out a great system. Does it cost a little bit more sure but I would rather pay a little more for piece of mind than watch my money fall to the earth out of control because I bought the economy radio system from brand x.
and one more thing why do you need the screen on top of your radio for telemetry? Why would you be looking down at your transmitter while flying anyways. Just another way to crash a plane I guess.

J
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
I fly a...........
and one more thing why do you need the screen on top of your radio for telemetry? Why would you be looking down at your transmitter while flying anyways. Just another way to crash a plane I guess.
J
Hello
I agree with you to look telemetry on the screen of the transmitter it is dangerous
This is at least 4 years that I use telemetry airplane, glider, jet, no crash !
You just need a remote screen immediatly visible (like on the picture) and sound information for critical phases of flight .....

I think for me, the next configution with telemetry be as follows:
T12 FG
receiver R6308SBT (x1 or x2)
Box 2.4 GHz telemetry FASSTest

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Nov 13, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,571 Posts
There are countless reasons why you should/must look at the screen while flying. DLG for example is one of the most valuable as you should check the screen at the apogee of every launch to evaluate your technique. It's similarly useful for any winch-launch. Sure there are competition restrictions but you can sure improve your practice with some real-time feedback. Occasionally glancing at the temperature or current during stressful maneuvers may help to safely test new props without overheating. And we've all witnessed the dangerous and desperate methods people use to radar/doppler fast planes -- surely this would be far more safe and accurate with a friend reading your screen, something much more practical with top-mounted screens.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:31 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Dang l did knife edge mixing on one of my planes this last weekend while flying the plane. Its not that hard to look at your radio for a second and still fly.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,310 Posts
If the 14SG telemetry functions operate like they do on the 18MZ you can have voice announcements of telemetry data as well as vibratory alarms. For launch I simply pull a switch at the top of a launch and the radio tells me the height. Or you can set it to speak continuously or at intervals. Lots of flexibility.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,571 Posts
That's a great feature and implementation! But I haven't seen any indication of 14SG's ability to do voice synthesis so the headphone jack may only be for variometer use.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
Steve, any new FACTs you'd like to share with us? I've wasted 10 minutes reading through the nonsense above. I think most of us are here to learn about the 14sg, not opinions from a bunch people who hasn't even seen one yet.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
Steve, any new FACTs you'd like to share with us? I've wasted 10 minutes reading through the nonsense above. I think most of us are here to learn about the 14sg, not opinions from a bunch people who hasn't even seen one yet.
Yes I need to have more factual information before I am going to order one. Has anyone seen a PDF version of the manual?

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
For the fact finders, here's what we have so far:

14SG product page on Futaba's web site:
http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk...4sg/index.html

Transmitter comparison chart @ Futaba:
http://www.futabarc.com/systems/feature-compare.html

Tower lists them as arriving in early December.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,495 Posts
That's a cool comparison chart. Thanks Chris!

Did I see YES for Voice Alarm under 14SG?!?!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
That's a cool comparison chart. Thanks Chris!

Did I see YES for Voice Alarm under 14SG?!?!
Yep, can't wait to check it out in person.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Have you seen my Cobra?
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,571 Posts
Interesting that the comparison chart lists voice alarms for both 14SG and 14MZ. Maybe it will have the excellent feature of switch-prompted readouts! Also interesting that the 14SG holds 30 models internally vs. 20 for the 8FG. I didn't think 20 models was an issue until: a.) I got my 21st model and b.) found that selecting models from SD card is a hassle.

There are a lot of errors in that chart though so I don't know if any of the information can be trusted. For example it says the 8FG has failsafe, only 1 Heli condition, and limited switch assignability.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
What is Acceleration Mix?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Woah... Do you mean the TX will actually read out with a voice like a robot like Siri does on the iPhone? If so, that's awesome! I'm absolutely sold if that's the case
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined May 2004
541 Posts
What is the "programming port" on the back of the case? Transferring models, or...?
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly