Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:29 AM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
Does Microsoft still spend any effort on Windows XP?

Basic Lifecycle management knowledge
We're not talking about Microsoft.

So basically you're just making assumptions without any hard facts.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Registered User
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
are assumptions criminal?
There are wild assumptions, and there are informed assumptions that are grounded in assessing actions.
The former has a low probability and the latter has a high probability.

Do you have something to contribute? or are you know the self appointed thought police?
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:48 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
are assumptions criminal?
There are wild assumptions, and there are informed assumptions that are grounded in assessing actions.
The former has a low probability and the latter has a high probability.

Do you have something to contribute? or are you know the self appointed thought police?
Not to argue semantics, but your original comment was:

"Both are old platforms that are costly to keep in production."

If this was an assumption on your part, it certainly came across as though you knew it as fact, which is why I questioned it.

There is a difference between useful contributions, and making things up to suit your point of view.

It's a public forum, if you can post half true factoids, I can point them out.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Fit to CFIT
vespa's Avatar
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,544 Posts
Jeez, Spacecase. It's a well known principle of goods production that older products become relatively more expensive to produce over time and companies routinely discontinue older products even if they are still selling well (e.g. VW Bug). New products are designed with more efficient manufacturing methods so they can be less expensive, more sophisticated, or both. This is why the 14SG is similar in price to the 9CAP, and also why every capacitor, microcontroller, etc. inside the radio is less expensive and more capable. Not only must the price of an old product be reduced to remain competitive but the manufacturing cost actually increases as the old product needs ever increasing re-design efforts to address issues with sub-component obsolescence and new regulations.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Jeez, Spacecase. It's a well known principle of goods production that older products become relatively more expensive to produce over time and companies routinely discontinue older products even if they are still selling well (e.g. VW Bug).
You picked a bad example, since they actually stopped making those in 2003.



Quote:
This is why the 14SG is similar in price to the 9CAP, and also why every capacitor, microcontroller, etc. inside the radio is less expensive and more capable. Not only must the price of an old product be reduced to remain competitive but the manufacturing cost actually increases as the old product needs ever increasing re-design efforts to address issues with sub-component obsolescence and new regulations.
The 14SG is similar in price to the 9C due to marketing reasons, advancing technology is what makes it more powerfull for the same price.

As for the 12FG/Z , well Futaba has a ton of turkeys in their current lineup that are obsoleted by newer/better radios (4EX,6EX,7C,10C 2.4g,12Z,14MZ) they might just have too much stock of, or maybe it even sells in some specific countries.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Jeez, Spacecase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
It's a well known principle of goods production that older products become relatively more expensive to produce over time and companies routinely discontinue older products even if they are still selling well (e.g. VW Bug). New products are designed with more efficient manufacturing methods so they can be less expensive, more sophisticated, or both. This is why the 14SG is similar in price to the 9CAP, and also why every capacitor, microcontroller, etc. inside the radio is less expensive and more capable. Not only must the price of an old product be reduced to remain competitive but the manufacturing cost actually increases as the old product needs ever increasing re-design efforts to address issues with sub-component obsolescence and new regulations.
One can assume so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
The 14SG is similar in price to the 9C due to marketing reasons, advancing technology is what makes it more powerfull for the same price.

As for the 12FG/Z , well Futaba has a ton of turkeys in their current lineup that are obsoleted by newer/better radios (4EX,6EX,7C,10C 2.4g,12Z,14MZ) they might just have too much stock of, or maybe it even sells in some specific countries.
Makes sense to me.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
The 14SG is similar in price to the 9C due to marketing reasons, advancing technology is what makes it more powerfull for the same price.
advanced technology ? why is the 18MZ more expensive than old 14MZ ?
they have sold over 100.000 units of 9C in the USA, I bet your house, car (not wife) that they won't sell the same quantity of 14SG because the competition is there.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:53 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
The 18mz is more expensive because they can, its also a flagship product . And like I said, the 14SG is priced like it is for marketing reasons (i.e. because of the competition)
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Skaluf's Avatar
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
My turn....
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,292 Posts
The 18MZ costs what it does in large part due to the fantastic color touch screen. On another forum there was a guy who dropped his 18MZ and cracked the screen. Retail cost for the screen was something like $2,200 or so IIRC. Of course wholesale is less, but it still demonstrates how expensive these screens are. BTW - he bought his radio using his AMEX card, they covered the cost under their accidental damage coverage on new items!!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:38 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
I would'nt be surprised to see a 12FG, and 12Z replacement. Both are old platforms that are costly to keep in production.
With global markets still down and emerging markets the only place where growth is still expected, mid range radio's is an area where a RC company can provide value and affordability. The futaba range needs a gap filler between 18MZ and 14SG that falls in line with current market needs
Looks like you are right about the old platforms:

14MZ discontinued

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTNB1&P=ML
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:07 AM
Registered User
CSpaced's Avatar
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
My turn....
What would you know?
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:11 PM
Registered User
MADISONMaster's Avatar
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
580 Posts
14SG : NO flight conditions for the airplane

Hello

The 14SG does not have flight conditions for the airplane ! It's a pity ..

12FG is the best for this program or,.... buy the MX20 from Graupner witch have all flight conditions, it is a good Radio with the telemetrie Hott system ....?
Good news: we have the programming speed servos for all pictures 6 - 7 - 8

You can see the pictures plane glider and Helicos
1 & 2 - Plane
3 - glider
4 & 5 - Helico

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Nov 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
The 18MZ costs what it does in large part due to the fantastic color touch screen. On another forum there was a guy who dropped his 18MZ and cracked the screen. Retail cost for the screen was something like $2,200 or so IIRC. Of course wholesale is less, but it still demonstrates how expensive these screens are.
That's just silly. Laptops, tablets, ereaders, and even some smart phones all have screens better than that Tx. Once again there is a confusion between cost and price. The 18mz has a ridiculously high price because the market will bear it, mostly because it is sold to experts who will pay a lot for small marginal improvements in functionality or to those who seek prestige through owning it and for whom the more it costs the more exclusive it makes then feel.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,292 Posts
Argue all you want. I was only relating the situation of a fellow on Flying Giants.

There is a third group of owners that you failed to mention. People who enjoy having a really nice radio. Or a nice car, house, pair of pants or whatever. People decide to buy things for more than trying to impress total strangers.

Odd that you would only see two possible groups and attach a negative connotation to each.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Futaba 9cap\JRXP9303 Airplane\FUTABA 10C tx wanted Defacto Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 8 Mar 26, 2013 06:54 PM
Whoops! The Futaba 8J S-FHSS is better than Futaba 18MZ S-FHSS! The 8J may get Telemetry... SimonChambers Radios 1 Jul 09, 2012 04:54 PM
Sold Genuine Futaba GY401 gyro with Futaba S9650 servo BD Flyer Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jul 01, 2012 10:33 PM
Sold Genuine Futaba GY401 gyro with Futaba S9650 servo BD Flyer Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Jun 27, 2012 09:47 PM
Sold Futaba S9650 Digital Servo + Futaba Gryo GY401 / Futaba 2.4GHz 8Ch R608FS wefao Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Mar 10, 2012 08:45 PM