HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Read the thread. Futaba doesn't get it.

QUOTE=vespa;23167188]Yes, I see from the menu structure of FW 0.3 that power planes have no conditions, something also confirmed by Steve above. Presumably that will be corrected prior to release or shortly thereafter.[/QUOTE]
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:23 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
I agree. They're trying to sell gimmicks over real features. Do they think that after pushng S.Bus and te hardware needed to programme the servo's that I want a radio that can programme the servo's?

NO!

I want a radio with more programming features.

This is 8FG v.6.0 plus hardware upgrade for case and telemetry.
The only useful thing is servo slow on all channels and that's something the 8FG should have had from day 1.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:06 AM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,600 Posts
Obviously the 14SG is little more than a 8FG++ so it should come as no surprise that the v0.3 firmware is nearly identical to the current 8FG firmware. What should also be unsurprising is that Futaba software develpers will surely favor the 14SG and use it to launch all the new features and functions just as they did with the 8FG years ago. Note that the current v0.3 firmware appears complete with all telemetry and modulation functionality as well as some new features like servo slowing -- this may likely indicate the intent to have several more versions adding features along the way as they work toward v1.0 this month.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Stop kidding yourself, it won't have flight conditions in Acro mode. Ever.
jonwold is offline Find More Posts by jonwold
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Agree. They're far too cynical to provide it too the mid range market. If they had an intent to do so it would have been one of the key features highlighted since people have been crying for Conditions in ACRO mode since the 8FG was launched.
They want you to buy a silly expensive radio to have a feature that other brands offer in radios that cost less than a 8FG.

My 8FG is the last Futaba I'll buy if this is the way Futaba responds to market needs.

I'll bet the 12FG replacement will cost an extra $400 on top of the 12FG so that you can assign a channel to an S.bus servo on a colour screen.

You'd think that a clever marketeer would make sure a key feature in a higher end radio is provided in a mid tier radio to give a broader spectrum of users a taste of what the capability of those features can be. No Instead, this brand says you must buy the high end radio to get a taste of it. 18Mz and 12FG have 8 flight conditions on all models. Yo'd think that a "light" version would have been part of the 14SG architecture.

1 / 5 chillies and its on ice. EPIC FAIL. really poor marketing. But I'l sure some will be caught out and buy into gadgets that gets used once in a while.
Ill stick to my FrSky Rx's for my foamies.
Last edited by TimBle; Nov 03, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:00 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwold View Post
Stop kidding yourself, it won't have flight conditions in Acro mode. Ever.
Thatís crazy that they come out with a new radio that does not have a feature that owners have been complaining about for years with the 8FG. I really donít understand why they would do that. It looks like it would be real easy since they have it with the other modes.

Is there some firmware problem with conditions and the airplane mode that we donít understand? Thatís the only reason I could see for the omission. Itís really mind numbing trying to figure out why Futaba would do that.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:22 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwold View Post
- No, you cannot program a power plane in glider mode. I've tried, and it is too glider specific. For one, there's not throttle cut in glider mode.

The real issue here is why flight conditions are available in glider and helicopter modes but not in airplane and, in my opinion, is one which Futaba should address on the 14SG. However I disagree that you cannot programme a power plane in glider mode.

The two modes offer a slightly different choice of programming options. It is entirely up to the user to decide which gives the better choice for any particular model.

Glider mode allows Conditions with all their associated benefits. It also replaces Airbrake with the more comprehensive Butterfly.

The functions not available in glider mode are Rudder/Elevator mix, Snap Roll and those associated with the throttle function (throttle cut, idle down, throttle delay, VPP and fuel mix). With the availability of Pmixes, conditions, logic switching and separate trims each of these can be emulated though I suspect that, for many I/C flyers, the only really significant omission will be the lack of a throttle cut. This is available via the motor menu without any complex programming.

To reiterate the point made in my first paragraph, Futaba should not require us to make such contortions. That said, for the price the 8FG provides huge flexibility if you take the time to get to grips with its full capabilities.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:30 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,402 Posts
Lets see if they listened to you on the manual. I suspect not.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:22 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
606 Posts
Hello

Have you done a comparison Futaba SG14 with the Graupner MX20 ?
These are two excellent radio even if Graupner had a bad passage, the problem is solved with the system Hott

I have a Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz and I am very happy, but now i need 11 channels and I hesitate between the 14SG and the MX20
i think i never have to use the S-Bus...

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is online now Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Last edited by MADISONMaster; Nov 03, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:30 AM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
Well, I have only limited experience on the 8FG/FX-20 but as a 12FG/FX-30 user the most frustrating thing on the 8FG/FX-20 is lack of ability to adjust mixing rates while flying ie assign the mix rate to a knob or slider as is possible in the 12FG/FX-30. This is very usefull for many adjustments like elevator compensation with butterfly, aileron differential, aileron to rudder mix, variable rates, snap flaps etc. Lack of this feature makes any fine tuning much more difficult than on the 12FG/FX-30 or the competing radios.

While the conditions for the acro modes would be nice, I see it only as a minor problem if compared to the lack of ability fine tune mixes.

Otherwise the Futaba telemetry, FASSTest, systems haven't had proper signal strenght (as measured on receiver) indicator so far despite, according to Robbe, the information is sent from receiver to transmitter. Now I see that Robbe is claiming something like that on their 14SG page but let's see how it turns out. I see this feature as an essential safety feature and even more important than the ability to adjust mixes.

Regarding MADISONMaster's question, the MX-20/MC-20 has the signal strenght/quality metering, 7 phases (more or less same as conditions) available for all model types and mixer rates seem to be adjustable as well.

Here is allready a classical example if someone doubts the benefits of the signal strenght metering.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:32 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
14SG Pre-orders

Guys, at the risk of acting like a spammer...

If you are going to order a 14SG and want to have a chance of it arriving with the first shipment into the US (this is for those of you living in North America only); you will want to place your order prior to tomorrow.

A word to the wise...I just don't want a bunch of disappointed kids during the holiday season.

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:36 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaluf View Post
Guys, at the risk of acting like a spammer...

If you are going to order a 14SG and want to have a chance of it arriving with the first shipment into the US (this is for those of you living in North America only); you will want to place your order prior to tomorrow.

A word to the wise...I just don't want a bunch of disappointed kids during the holiday season.

Steve
Skaluf Claus...
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:20 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
ohh Steve you are killing me!! I was sitting on the fence and now I must jump in! I was saving up for the 18MZ but I guess I'll have to break that piggy bank now! At this price I could buy two 14SG and still have plenty left to please the Mrs!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Well heck, we have 18MZ's in stock now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph280 View Post
ohh Steve you are killing me!! I was sitting on the fence and now I must jump in! I was saving up for the 18MZ but I guess I'll have to break that piggy bank now! At this price I could buy two 14SG and still have plenty left to please the Mrs!
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:28 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
LOL! You are so bad!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280