SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
Sorry I quoted you on the model memory issue.

the rest had nothing to do with our post, it was jsut something I found interesting since I'vebeen looking around at a new pocket digital camera and 4GB is about the smallest you can buy now thanks to the high megapixels available from current CCD's.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:10 AM
Sponsored by Team de la PeŮa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Not quite sure why you guys are quoting me? I hit a 2 instead of a 3 in number of built-in model I.e 20 when I should have typed 30! I never said anything about SD card size
It what happens sometimes when you post from a phone
Actually, if you have ever seen me post, I have a chronic habit of quoting the wrong message , I guess I just read too fast for my own good . No disrespect intended.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
---
looking around at a new pocket digital camera and 4GB is about the smallest you can buy now thanks to the high megapixels available from current CCD's.
Abuout the SD's, I found the 2Gb
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/m...sd/MB-MS2GMAGD
microSD with adapter works; bought one the other day to speed up the tx readings a little.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:50 AM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Is the tx case plastic that's chromed? Or plastic & metal?
It looks to me like it is the same as the 8FGS.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
Abuout the SD's, I found the 2Gb
http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/m...sd/MB-MS2GMAGD
microSD with adapter works; bought one the other day to speed up the tx readings a little.
Yeah Samsung do carry them but the camera stores don't because those SDcards are about 30% more expensive than Sandisk and I know the Sandisk works in the 8FG - I have one in there now.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
It looks to me like it is the same as the 8FGS.
I sure hope it's the plastic and aluminum as on the 8FG
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,323 Posts
Once the 14SG is flying off the shelves, I would not be surprised to see some hardware updates to the 8FG. The 2Gb. SD card limitation needs to be addressed if the 8FG is to continue in the lineup. Adding S-FHSS support to new production units would be a good marketing strategy as well. Maybe the time is coming for the 8FGsd (sooper dooper)
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Once the 14SG is flying off the shelves, I would not be surprised to see some hardware updates to the 8FG. The 2Gb. SD card limitation needs to be addressed if the 8FG is to continue in the lineup. Adding S-FHSS support to new production units would be a good marketing strategy as well. Maybe the time is coming for the 8FGsd (sooper dooper)
Pete
The interesting thing is how predictable all of those limitations would have been from inside Futaba. They have a clear strategy of relying on brand loyalty to keep churning the market by introducing incremental incompatibilities, all part of the tried and true model of designed obsolescence. The 8FG was a great radio when first introduced and Futaba boosted its value with software upgrades, but given its high price in today's consumer market, they could have very easily ensured it had a much longer life, preserved its relevance and supported its customers' investment. Instead it appears they are leaving it behind and hoping to convert many users to the new range of products.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
This is a transitional phase that Futaba is going through to move their market from one technology to another, Lifecycle Management is clearly being applied. There will an announcement of another radio within the next few months, probably February/March
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:34 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Actually you will find that Futaba will support both technologies going forward, FASST is a very expensive system derived from a pro setup and used in the hobby market it is far superior to any other system out there, but is much more expensive to produce.

Then you will see S-FHSS which is equivalent to most of the other 2.4ghz in the market today, in other words very good for most modellers and there models.. This system is much more affordable to produce, so this can keep Futaba competitive.. And you will start seeing more FTR's (Futaba ready to Flys) But these would be far to expensive if they were all FASST.. These will be S-FHSS.

There will be a few set's that will do both, this being one the MZ18 being the other. Neither system is being dropped in the future.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:06 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Actually you will find that Futaba will support both technologies going forward, FASST is a very expensive system derived from a pro setup and used in the hobby market it is far superior to any other system out there, but is much more expensive to produce.

Then you will see S-FHSS which is equivalent to most of the other 2.4ghz in the market today, in other words very good for most modellers and there models.. This system is much more affordable to produce, so this can keep Futaba competitive.. And you will start seeing more FTR's (Futaba ready to Flys) But these would be far to expensive if they were all FASST.. These will be S-FHSS.

There will be a few set's that will do both, this being one the MZ18 being the other. Neither system is being dropped in the future.

Thatís what some of the press releases were saying. FASST is their top of the line system and FHSS/SFHSS is for those who canít afford FASST.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:12 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
the new 14sg is undoubtedly a fantastic radio - great to see Futaba are finally moving in the right direction and bringing it all together - if the 8FG had the telemetry and the S-FHSS compatibility it would be one of the most prominent choices in the market place today ... perhaps an updated 8FG will have this? the 14SG is still way too much radio for my sport flyer / heli / mild 3D / Glider guider needs

if they allow this tech to filter down to more "regular" radios, i'd consider it down the road but as for the time being I'm sticking to my A9... all of the above performance and telemetry and programability (without quibbling about frame-rates and the last few milliseconds in latency and other such fringe concerns) ....and all that with the added cheese of $13 HK Rx's
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Last edited by big bird; Oct 31, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
FASSTest is a different besst to FASST though. the former hops through 23 channels while the latter 36. Theres probably a few reasons for this but mostly it probbly due to the larger data packet sizes associated with telemetry data. and yes it is expensive.

The 8FG will benefit from the Robbe Futaba telemetry box add on and the R6308SBT receiver. this will allow all the current non FASSTest radio's to usethe Futaba telemetry. So the 8FG is not dead yet.It remains one of the best bangs for your buck and the Robbe Futaba telemetry box has the added advantage of being an add on that you can tailor to your needs.

In future, there will probalby be a radio in the gap betwen 18MZ and 14SG probably 16XX.
then the lower end needs a gap t be plugged between the 8J and 14SG. I'm betting on a 10J FHSS/S-FHSS system with telemetry.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
in another forum it was suggested that the 14SG is really a re-packaged 8FG... what the 8FG should've looked like had it been done right.

I think that that is probably a fair comment as the programming, layout and functionality are roughly on a par

the 14SG has superior build quality and feel, it has the multi protocol 2.4Ghz capability that the 8FG should have had and of course it has Futaba's "last but not least" telemetry included... ie. it is a fully specc'd 8FG

what would be nice though is the Futaba equivalent of the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro
ie. affordable, telemetry-equipped, able to fly all Futaba's air Rx's and with a comprehensive software set, that includes heli's and glider specific set-ups

where the 8J falls down is ... no telemetry, no FASST and no glider-specific programming ... ie. another half-baked offering from Futaba... i guess its just marketing and positioning within the Futaba product hierarchy, as the production cost of including this stuff is relatively small

of course for people who run out of patience with all this there is always the er9x and Frsky booth down the end of the hall with equivalent goodies at 20% of the cost
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:43 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,078 Posts
The 8J is a mystery why the made such a radio.

Something to replace the 7C would be more popular. Maybe a 5SG and a 7SG or 8SF to compete with Spektrum.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man