Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtalHunt View Post
Yeah, well if we could get people in govt. who weren't soulless fronts bought by corporate America to begin with, maybe it could revert back to a semi-decent country but NO.... it's all about quick money, turning it into toilet paper a.s.a.p. by that swine Bernanke, cell phones that text and your AAPL stock holdings (which got clobbered last week, thank God!) or cruising down to the grocer's for a case of Mountain Dew.

DUMB! Wait until after the election, you'll see it's the same bought-and-paid-for nonsense as the last 4 years and the 8 idiotic ones before that.

The country sold it's soul a LONG time ago.
The main problem is GOVERNMENT ! they set stupid regulations,tax the heck out of small and big business, punish hard work,so companies leave and go where they don't have them breathing down there neck ! Government has its place and it is a very SMALL Constitutional area ! They have over stepped the boundaries by miles ! Just my little rant. carry on
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
RobII,

Thanks for answering my question. I'm picking up what you are laying down. In other words, I understand.

I guess another way to ask my question: Why should I buy my RC goods from a foriegn country? I cannot think of any reasons why. (I think I'll add that to post #1).

Thanks again,

Frank
Because the illusion is that you are buying from an American company when in fact you are still buying foreign goods. This has been prevalent for quite some time now. Outsourcing gives the illusion we are still buying American except we aren't. You buy from a local hobby shop, sure you are helping a few have a job the the majority of the money goes to Chinese manufacturers to buy more goods to be sold in their stores under American brand names. From a monetary standpoint paying an extra 50 percent just to help out American businesses who already screwed over the American worker by outsourcing to begin with doesn't really work as an excuse for me.

I buy from local shops and international shops. When a 2200mah 3s battery is 30 dollars at a local place and 8 dollars at an international place I'm naturally going to save my money. Either way it all gets funneled back to china so it really doesn't make a difference. Many will disagree with this point.

And as much as people want to deny it, we live in a global economy now. The Internet made this possible.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Last edited by Babadush; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:13 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
From a monetary standpoint paying an extra 50 percent just to help out American businesses who already screwed over the American worker by outsourcing to begin with doesn't really work as an excuse for me.
Wow, you should check these places out. I'm pretty sure there is not a 50% markup on their products and shipping is very cheap and quick. And I'm pretty darn sure none of those stores has "screwed over the American worker" in any shape or form.

http://www.progressiverc.com/
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/

And if you don't like those places, here is a list of companies that I have been told are fantastic to do buisness with.

RCG's All-Time Favorite and Most Reliable RC Vendor

It's funny. When you guys picked those places it made me wonder about all the great stores we have here in the US and hence the creation of this thread.

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtalHunt View Post
As for New "Warehouse" by these fly-by-night outfits.... that could easily be a garage sized unit at a U-store place, take it with a grain of salt people.
That begs the question. Has anyone seen that store? Anyone even know its address? I think it is here on the west coast somewhere but not sure where it is. Perhaps we can do a Google street view and have a look at it. As much money as they make, it should be pretty fancy and employee a number of people. Now that would be a great thing!

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
You are what You do
Bucharest/ Romania
Joined Oct 2005
51 Posts
Quote:
"...When a 2200mah 3s battery is 30 dollars at a local place and 8 dollars at an international place I'm naturally going to save my money.
Relly?
Here's the simple math

8 U$D the battery
19-25 U$D the shipping (EMS Express to USA up to 500 g)
3 U$D payment processing (at least or more)
other cost to be added: local VAT, custom duty, etc...

Now where is Your saving?
How much did You payed for that battery till it landed on your desk? Was it just 8?

Eyes wide shut
Don Chucho is offline Find More Posts by Don Chucho
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:58 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chucho View Post
Relly?
Here's the simple math

8 U$D the battery

How much did You payed for that battery till it landed on your desk? Was it just 8?

Eyes wide shut
No - you pick an expensive shipping method - EMS that is unnecessary ... so the total you indicate is false.... unless you like take option to use EMS. I see you live in Romania ... I live in Latvia ... I would never pay such high shipping for that LiPo even with Hobby Kings shipping ... and I have a good seller on ebay that sells me that size of LiPo with FREE shipping ... total for 2 x 3S 2400 mAh 30C LiPo's at well under $30

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,628 Posts
China has everybody's money. It's like a giant sinkhole, just swallowing it all up. I suppose the workers arent all that disgruntled yet, or maybe Mao has that problem suppressed long ago. Something will turn, but why or when is beyond me. Right now all flow seems to be in one direction and that isnt healthy.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
China has everybody's money. It's like a giant sinkhole, just swallowing it all up. I suppose the workers arent all that disgruntled yet, or maybe Mao has that problem suppressed long ago. Something will turn, but why or when is beyond me. Right now all flow seems to be in one direction and that isnt healthy.
The casual observation is as you say .. but if you look deeper - you will find a large amount coming OUT of China in form of investments to many countries incl. USA ... railways and otyher transport related ... city development .... financial institutions etc. etc.

How many here have accounts with banks that have affiliation or are part of HSBC ? Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation ?

There are major projects in so many countries that without Chinese investment would never even got started ... of course it's not free or charity ... but it's also not a one way deal.

USA thinks it's fine to go and invest or secure deals in other countries that promote US industry ... so what is so different ?

There is one area actually that is different ... Military sales ... it has long been shown that USA links Military sales to Humanitarian relief ... have first hand observation of that before anyone says otherwise.

The sad fact is ............ the West cannot compete on level terms, it imposes sanctions, rattles sabres, but at end of day is afraid of the purse strings that such as China hold. If USA was to enact all it threatens to .... believe me - USA would suffer far more than than China. How many more millions would be out of work when investment dries up ... component and product costs soar .... wages no longer can cover your needs and desires ....

Yes it's a post that is scary and way above the matter of a LHS ... but think on ...

UK in some ways took the bull by the horns and accepted the fate ... but grew out of it. UK led the Industrial revolution in the world ... was a major industrial nation ... and like USA now ... it fell away ... UK cried for a while, thern shook itself down, picked up its skirts and decided to concentrate on what was left ... becoming the Financial and Service Capital of the world.... there's New York ... there's Geneva ... there's Hong Kong ... but London stood up and evolved ...

Lessons of history are there for us if we wish to look. But human nature tends to cry and fight evolution. Man is a stupid race at end of day ... history comes round and smites us again and again. Still we don't learn.

China is not going away. But China will suffer same fate as UK, USA and others .. another location will develop and take over as cheap production ... Chinese probably moaning same as us when it happens.

Let me throw a curved ball in here ... how many know that USA has it cheaper buying it's Oil needs from Russia than from it's own sources ? That USA is already seriously dependent on Russian supply ?

The world keeps turning ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,628 Posts
We cant all be bankers and everybody has to eat. The edge they have is in slave labor and no regard for intellectual property. Innovation is one way to get an edge, but then a hungry Chinese manufacturer will take it and use the labor edge to keep the advantage. I'd rather see some coexistence without everything being so lopsided.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Wow, you should check these places out. I'm pretty sure there is not a 50% markup on their products and shipping is very cheap and quick. And I'm pretty darn sure none of those stores has "screwed over the American worker" in any shape or form.

http://www.progressiverc.com/
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/

And if you don't like those places, here is a list of companies that I have been told are fantastic to do buisness with.

RCG's All-Time Favorite and Most Reliable RC Vendor

It's funny. When you guys picked those places it made me wonder about all the great stores we have here in the US and hence the creation of this thread.

Frank
I shop at headsuprc quite a bit. I just bought a motor from there last week. Like I said I shop locally and abroad. It depends on who has what and for what price.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Relly?
Here's the simple math

8 U$D the battery

Eyes wide shut
You assume I'm buying from china. I don't have local vat or customs duty. I don't pay 19 dollars for shipping either. So your point is moot.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:10 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Relly?
Here's the simple math

8 U$D the battery

Eyes wide shut
Don,

Yes. Really. Here's the savings.

Try 10.99 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15019)

5.97 Shipping (USA warehouse)
Total = 16.97

If I buy 2 -> 21.98
shipping is still 5.97

Total = 27.95

So I can buy 2 and still be cheaper than my LHS.
I am a big supporter of my LHS, but not at the expense of getting ripped off.
FYI - I still buy things that make sense from my LHS...props, glue, hinges, wheels, ...small items that shipping would cost more.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
I needed more batteries for my hawker hurricane. Here is the 50 percent markup. Total from hobbyking USA warehouse including shipping for 2 3300mah batteries = 67 dollars.

2 3300mah batteries from eflite/hh 174 dollars without shipping. That saved me over 100 dollars. There's no reason eflite should be selling that size battery for 84 dollars. It's just a 3s battery not 6s.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,216 Posts
Why is it OK for US based internet retailers, LHSs, and major distributors to buy foreign products (and sell to U.S. consumers) but it's not OK for U.S. consumers to buy those same products directly?

It's OK for a U.S. Hobby store to buy a bunch of foreign products....as long as they sell them to US consumers to make a profit for themselves?

But it's not OK for me as a consumer to find the best price for what I need...and very possibly keep more of MY money in MY pocket to spend on MY family in MY locality?

Explain this to me.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,812 Posts
Quote:
I needed more batteries for my hawker hurricane. Here is the 50 percent markup. Total from hobbyking USA warehouse including shipping for 2 3300mah batteries = 67 dollars.

2 3300mah batteries from eflite/hh 174 dollars without shipping. That saved me over 100 dollars. There's no reason eflite should be selling that size battery for 84 dollars. It's just a 3s battery not 6s.
You mention that place again. Do they really have a store here in the US? Do you have an address for it? It would be cool to actaully see it on Google street maps. I see it mentioned many times but I am not sure if it really exists or is it just an urban legend.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member