Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,747 Posts
I said, if you don't have an LHS locally then you are almost compelled to buy online. Not really, I post when I see people have an LHS in their neighborhood but would rather go cheap than to support their local community. There are always excuses for not supporting your LHS; yours is not one of them since your LHS is 2.5 hours away. I mostly make comments about people who have an LHS in their town, but prefer to shop at places like HobbyKing because IT IS CHEAP.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:43 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,772 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with shopping online. I do it all the time and so does my wife. We live quite a ways out of town and having something delivered right to our door makes a lot of economical sense to us. Plus when it comes to buying RC goods, places like Heads up RC or Altitude Hobbies have very cheap shipping. I cannot drive to my LHS for that price.

So far I have found no reason to send my money directly overseas. There is nothing I need that can't be purchased here in the US. Everything I need can be found right here in the good old USA. Not to mention the fact that we are helping our own.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,147 Posts
Just be careful what you buy, not just where, Frank. There are some American companies who buy the CCC stuff and just resell it here. Make sure the source is an authorized dealer for what he's selling, and that they aren't clone/counterfeit products.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:18 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Just be careful what you buy, not just where, Frank. There are some American companies who buy the CCC stuff and just resell it here. Make sure the source is an authorized dealer for what he's selling, and that they aren't clone/counterfeit products.

Andy
Andy, are there really Spek clones out there that look exactly like Spek stuff? I'm aware of the OrangeRX and so on, but do we have to be on the lookout for actual clones? How can you tell?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Andy, are there really Spek clones out there that look exactly like Spek stuff? I'm aware of the OrangeRX and so on, but do we have to be on the lookout for actual clones? How can you tell?
the ones from target hobby are pretty good counterfeits- some even suggest they are overstock offloaded by HH...

take a look at this one:
http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4162037.html

Due to large counterfeits; I would rather buy a known counterfeit than buy a genuine/pay genuine and get a counterfeit; unless buying from a known source.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,147 Posts
Target's are NOT "overstock" - they are NOT genuine in any way. They are a ripoff. They are not an authorized dealer, either.

Jas, if I told you how we can tell, they'd change it and make it harder to detect.

The easy answer is, we haven't manufactured DSM2 receivers for several years (months BEFORE DSMX was announced). Anything claiming to be "new" that's DSM2 only is probably a fake. I say probably because there are people who have old products sitting on a shelf, hobbyists, but NONE of our retailers.

If you don't buy DSM2 stuff, you should be pretty safe for now.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Target's are NOT "overstock" - they are NOT genuine in any way. They are a ripoff. They are not an authorized dealer, either.
There is no way to tell though. I looked all over that site and it looks like they are selling exactly what I bought last year for my Trex 500 - which was not labeled DSMX, but is. The only clue is they said Spectrum instead of spelling it right, but everybody makes that mistake.

I think you're saying "just make sure the dealer is authorized" but that's also impossible to tell... Spek claims to have "over 2000 independent retailers worldwide" but there's no place to see the full list, so you can't verify that a particular dealer is NOT on the list. Target Hobby doesn't come up in the search, but users typically think that's just the search engine not finding it - I would not assume that it meant they aren't an authorized dealer.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/StoreLocator/Default.aspx
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
What do you guys think of my problem, then - I want to buy my Horizon Hobby stuff at the local LHS, but it seems like the Norwegian Distributor only wants to sell it from their web shop at full price to the end user (and not via local resellers). The LHS does not get any of the "new" stuff, and it takes forever from the time they order stuff until it gets delivered (if they get it at all...).

Ticks me off to the extent that I have quit buying HH stuff in Norway - I want my LHS to survive, so now I look if my LHS have an alternative to what I'm looking for first, and if I "have" to get some HH stuff I buy it from abroad...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Contact HH. Might be true. Might not. I've seen shop owners lie through their teeth - especially when it makes them more money.

For example, I caught the owner of my local music store lying to me pretty badly about an order I was trying to place through him for a product he was a dealer for. He told me it cost him hundreds more than it did, and that all sorts of things the company forced him to agree to caused the prices to be much higher than competing direct and online prices.

So I called the company. They said he was full of crap, and that they weren't happy. Two days later he called and offered it to me for $200 less than any online dealer I could find. Wonder why?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
I trust the guys at the LHS, have known them for quite a while (been into cars/helicopters for a long time) - and there is no problem with getting other stuff than that from the HH importer...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
I trust the guys at the LHS,
Been shopping there forever. Was at the owners wedding.

Like I said, never hurts to email HH and ask why this is allowed. Let them know you're unhappy.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
What do you guys think of my problem, then - I want to buy my Horizon Hobby stuff at the local LHS, but it seems like the Norwegian Distributor only wants to sell it from their web shop at full price to the end user (and not via local resellers). The LHS does not get any of the "new" stuff, and it takes forever from the time they order stuff until it gets delivered (if they get it at all...).

Ticks me off to the extent that I have quit buying HH stuff in Norway - I want my LHS to survive, so now I look if my LHS have an alternative to what I'm looking for first, and if I "have" to get some HH stuff I buy it from abroad...
this thread is really a "why not buy from your AMERICAN LHS"
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
what's better -

pay $10 for a product and thus give $ to a local person that should go out of business - aka communism. maybe if the person stopped with their bailout business, they might be forced to go back to school or something, get educated and perhaps actually contribute to society
or
pay $1 for the equivalent product then spend/donate the other $9 to what ever else you want - aka capitalism? spending the other $9 on other competitive companies would actually stimulate the economy and actually reward good business practices

hint - no matter what option you chose, the same chinese factories will make the products
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
what's better -

allow one man to fish and thus waste the gas and time of a local person that should contribute to a business - aka common sense. maybe if the person stopped with their trolling, they might be forced to go back to work or something, get productive and perhaps actually contribute to society
or
pay a fishery for a better product then spend/donate the other $9 to what ever else you want - aka capitalism? spending the other $9 on other competitive fisheries would actually stimulate the economy and actually reward good business practices

hint - no matter what option you chose, it's still your opinion and equally as valid as mine.

Cheers,
Vince L.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:40 AM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Pretty sure I mentioned my take a few months back, but when possible I shop local. Especially since it’s hardly ever possible for me. When I order, I try for the US resellers (HeadsUpRC and the like). Yes I’m paying a premium for Chinese made goods, but the resellers also provide a tangible benefit by guaranteeing items and shipping quickly.

If you want to go direct to HK or the like, cool. We’ll even be here to listen to the rant when you gripe about shipping times or getting a dud and fighting for a refund.

I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it makes me feel better about throwing money at what amounts to a noisy way to relax. Perhaps my contentment improves society, perhaps not. But my dollars definitely do, especially in Ocala, Florida.

Cheers,
Vince L.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77