HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:59 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Jasmine,
it goes without saying that if can buy the same stuff locally for the same price or cheaper as you could get it overseas then buy locally, there is no logical reason to do otherwise.

Dont forget though that the vast majority of your money is going to China regardless of where you buy from. If you can buy cheaper direct from China you then have some spare cash which you can then invest in genuine home produced goods that really does help stimulate the local economy rather than supporting 'middleman' dealers who's business is based purely on importing.

The way out of a recession is not to be found in importing Chinese products. It makes zero difference if those imports pass through a middleman on the way, it's still importing.

I'm not knocking these 'local' dealers selling Chinese products. If they offer a service that's worth the money support them by all means. But do so because they offer good value not some misplaced notion about the economy.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,358 Posts
But that opinion does not agree with economic facts posted earlier, that show importing products IS good for the local economy.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:22 PM
rookie
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Dec 2012
546 Posts
I guess there saying it's okay to buy a "lady of the evening" from a pimp but bad to deal directly with the lady.
wilf370 is offline Find More Posts by wilf370
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:25 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilf370 View Post
I guess there saying it's okay to buy a "lady of the evening" from a pimp but bad to deal directly with the lady.
hmmmm....good analogy.

I say get what makes sense for you. If it's easier to find the lady through the pimp and she comes on time and if she runs away or is lost, the pimp finds her, then that might be worth it.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:48 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
But that opinion does not agree with economic facts posted earlier, that show importing products IS good for the local economy.
What economic 'facts' are those?

And even if I accepted the idea just for a minute....
  • Why does importing directly (i.e. you order from China) not have the same beneficial effect as importing through a middleman (who orders from China)?
  • Why does it benefit the economy for you to give a middleman some extra money when you could have saved that money by cutting him out of the deal, then used the money saved to buy genuine locally manufactured products?
Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:02 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,213 Posts
I buy chinese RC stuff, and they buy german cars in vast quantities.

Sounds like a deal to me.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ch...ars-35269.html
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:51 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Jasmine, I don't know what was written earlier but I will try to explain. What is good for the economy is balance or trade surplus. When exports and imports are about the same, then the situation is neutral. No harm done. The wealth that leaves the country is replaced by wealth arriving from other countries.

When exports are greater than imports that creates an increase in wealth because wealth arriving into the economy exceeds what is being spent abroad.

The killer is the trade deficit which we have suffered for the past 50 years or so. That reduces wealth in our country and sends that wealth to other countries.

It is something like your checkbook. You earn money and deposit it and you write checks and spend it. You don't want to get into a situation where you spend more than you earn. We have sent so much wealth abroad as a nation over the past 50 years we are now in economic malaise that will not go away until we find a way to have that wealth replenished.

Imports are not inherently good for the economy. Exports are. Just ask the Chinese.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Julez,

I think VW is a little upset with them stealing their engine design for their own "indigenous" clone right now.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Selfishness can cost you and everybody else their jobs. Witness Hostess. You really are your brothers keeper, whether you want to be or not.

We're all in this together. You can't get off the island.

Just sayin'

Andy
Are you calling me selfish?
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
This thread is hilarious. Face it, those that don't buy from a LHS either can't afford it, or are just too darn cheap. I buy from my LHS all the time, and in turn they usually give me 10-12% off on all purchases. I only buy online when I can't get stuff from my local LHS. I have 3 within a 20 mile radius, and I hop from one to the other to even things out. Trying to say that helping people stay afloat in this economy is not the right thing to do is ridiculous. Selfish, maybe not, but, why condemn someone who thinks that their local LHS is worthy of their business. Heck, I even tried to see if my LHS could order a Tower Hobbies branded plane for me. They couldn't of course, but, at least they tried. Other stuff, from Great Planes and Flyzone, I can order from my LHS and I usually do. That way I support my LHS AND Hobbico, an American company. Of course if you have no LHS then you can't be faulted for going online to shop.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Last edited by chucksolo69; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
This thread is hilarious. Face it, those that don't buy from a LHS either can't afford it, or are just too darn cheap. I buy from my LHS all the time, and in turn they usually give me 10-12% off on all purchases. I only buy online when I can't get stuff from my local LHS. I have 3 within a 20 mile radius, and I hop from one to the other to even things out. Trying to say that helping people stay afloat in this economy is not the right thing to do is ridiculous. Selfish, maybe not, but, why condemn someone who thinks that their local LHS is worthy of their business. Heck, I even tried to see if my LHS could order a Tower Hobbies branded plane for me. They couldn't of course, but, at least they tried. Other stuff, from Great Planes and Flyzone, I can order from my LHS and I usually do. That way I support my LHS AND Hobbico, an American company. Of course if you have no LHS then you can't be faulted for going online to shop.
I cant be faulted anyway ! It is my choice to get my stuff where i want, it all comes from china,i choose to use usa companies to buy my China gear,to try and make it sound like anyone that dont run down to the local hobby shop is CHEAP or at fault somehow is totally wrong.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357 View Post
Are you calling me selfish?
I didn't quote your comment, so no, I wasn't calling you selfish. It was a general concept for all of us to keep in mind.

Conscience is the only one who can really ask the question, "Am I selfish?"

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
If you aren't going cheap, then why don't you use the LHS? You are right, it's your choice, but why do you make that choice, there must be a reason. Right? I shop at my LHS because, as a former business owner, I know how difficult it is to stay in business in these difficult times. I prefer to buy from my countrymen. Yes, some of the money goes back to China, where the stuff is made, but it also supports the local business man.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:52 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Quote:
This thread is hilarious. Face it, those that don't buy from a LHS either can't afford it, or are just too darn cheap.
No. Most of us here can afford to buy from the LHS, we just choose not to. A lot of guys here are either engineers, managers, or in some high tech job, or some doctor, or lawyer,...etc.

I'm won't brag that I make a ton of $$$; but I manage a group of Engineering guys for a small software firm here in the heart of silicon Valley, and I make more than enough; yet I don't buy LHS when it does not make sense.

Did you know that a high percentage of Lotto winners go broke after 5 yrs? It's just $$$ management...spend it where it makes sense.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
If you aren't going cheap, then why don't you use the LHS? You are right, it's your choice, but why do you make that choice, there must be a reason. Right? I shop at my LHS because, as a former business owner, I know how difficult it is to stay in business in these difficult times. I prefer to buy from my countrymen. Yes, some of the money goes back to China, where the stuff is made, but it also supports the local business man.
So headsuprc,amain hobbies,epbuddy,servo city,grayson hobby are not USA companies ? And i should just suck it up,fill up the car with $3.89 a gal gas and drive 2 and 1/2 hours to support a hobbie shop that dont have what i need but can order it,then charge me twice what i can order it for myself ? me thinks some just post to argue when there are different opinions than theirs.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd