HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:01 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
My local hobby shop is supporting a family of four, and two part-timers. THAT is the economic impact of shopping locally and don't you forget it.
I won't forget it, I just don't believe it.

By nature, part time doesn't support a thing. So by your measure, the only beneficiary is the owner and his family. And as I've seen here, the owners that make it are typically in an incredibly low overhead situation, work another job, or run the shop out of their home.

It's true of many industries, not just hobby shops. You can be passionate if you like, it won't change the current retail landscape.

[edit] - so you understand - I'm all for buying locally. And when the local Hobby Shop starts doing so, I'll be right there to buy from them. And then I'll go apply for a job at the factory they start buying from.

Get it?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:28 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
My local hobby shop is supporting a family of four, and two part-timers. THAT is the economic impact of shopping locally and don't you forget it.
Supporting HIS family is not my concern. Supporting MY family is. And don't you forget it.

Just sayin'.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,082 Posts
Selfishness can cost you and everybody else their jobs. Witness Hostess. You really are your brothers keeper, whether you want to be or not.

We're all in this together. You can't get off the island.

Just sayin'

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
818 Posts
Someone talked about buying Y leads and a plug from your LHS and complained about he price. I keep a stock of wire and plugs and make my own Y leads. Much cheaper and I can make them any length I want. Also I buy both battery and servo plugs by the dozen. I know I will need them sometime. I save a heap of petrol (diesel) by not driving to the LHS. By the way my LHS is a 100 kms away and when I visit I can talk RC planes, heli, cars as well as the owner has an MG midget and I have an MGB so we can talk about those as well. And another thing...I grow my own vegetables but I am sure the local supermarket is worried...not.

Hi Jasmine...done any build videos lately? (i assume your are one of the same?)
Watdazit is online now Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:33 PM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,730 Posts
I buy from the LHS (Flightline Hobby) in Lake Orion, MI. Never will mail order!

when I need help, I go to the store and get the answer. Great supply of everything electric.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Last edited by IWC; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:05 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
Hi Jasmine...done any build videos lately? (i assume your are one of the same?)
Yeah, I'm working on one right now, I just built a DJI F450 with a KK board, test flew it tonight, still have some adjusting to do.

Obviously I come first, and I'm not asking folks to break that cardinal rule of economics. What I'm saying is if I can get great service, great products, and a great price, at a number of places, but one of them supports a family of four who lives just up the road from me, that's where I'm going. If your LHS is rude and expensive then obviously you should go for the better deal and better service wherever you can get it, but when it's a tie - tie goes the locals.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
i get as much locally as i can but the shops here just dont carry what i need
and i have TRIED to get the old guy at my LHS to carry what i need but hes to set in his ways and wont do it
so im stuck with what ever Tower and Horizon have from him same with the local HobbyTown only carries what Horizon has
i do order from US based stores other wise and try to avoid the chinese fronts like Hobbypartz, bananahobby et. all

Helidirect
Nankin Hobby
EP Buddy
Feathermernchent RC
Performance Plus RC
3DHobby Shop
these are my go tos when i cant get stuff from my LHS
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I do not order anything direct from overseas, but do, have, to use overseas made products, we all do. My LHS is a 2 hour round trip, which in itself is not a bad deal, but they never have what I need, so there's $80.00 for gas and lunch. I take my wife to the "big" city. I do order from U.S. based and hopefully family owned online hobby shops though. I prefer Heads Up Rc. I can get just about anything I need in 2-3 days for a $2.00 shipping charge with a company that has 5 star customer service. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
I buy a lot online; but I still support locally.

There are just some things where it makes no sense to buy online and should be bought at the LHS. My LHS guy calls it the bread and butter of his business

pushrods,
wheels
glue
nuts/buts
anything small

and most of them eflight stuff, where eflight has a price cap and it's the same price anywhere you buy. If you buy online you pay shipping; from LHS, no shipping.

Last year, I probably spent 3k online and 1k at my LHS.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:03 PM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
I was missing my LHS the other day when I wanted some music wire to fix a plane. They never really carried anything much that I wanted. I did buy a plane and a Tx from them. I figure I really will miss them when I want some Dubro parts, but I haven't run out of anything recently. Their Dubro stock was pretty spotty, I bought the last of any number of parts and they never replaced them. In a lot of ways, I feel that Stevens Aero was more like a LHS to me than the store when it existed.

I heard the owner is being charged with tax fraud, but the store itself has been gone for a couple of years
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I am still surprised by the number of people that seem to feel the need to send their money directly to another country outside of the USA. In today's economy, America is struggling and it seems to me that we all would want to do our best to help. Sending monies to a foriegn country just does not seem to make much sense to me. And it is not like we don't have any RC shops locally to us. And when I say "locally" I mean shops and businesses in the USA.

If you don't have any LHS or you don't like your LHS them check out my blog. There you will find over 350 different places to shop from that will help support our economy and you will find vendors that cannot be beat on quality AND customer service.

I saw this interesting fact on shopping locally:

Shopping "locally" has a multiplier effect. One dollar spent at locally owned business returns FIVE TIMES that amount within the community through city taxes, employee's wages and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent businesses.

So why not buy locally? Can't think of any reason not to.

I guess another way to ask my question: Why should I buy my RC goods from a foriegn country?

Another thought.

Edited to add on 24 Oct:

Thanks for all the great comments and the not so great comments. I don't think attacking my character was very considerate but I know that is how things work here on RCG.

I am not trying to guilt anyone at all. I just want folks to understand and realize we have so many great stores here in the US to purchase their RC products from. I'll bet that a lot of folks never even heard of some of those stores on this list here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751689 I at least wanted to point out the fact that we do have some great places here in the US to buy stuff from.

That is the point I am trying to make. Sure, would it be cool if we could purchase everything we buy here in the US? I think so. Would it have the 5 times mulitplier effect that the economists says it does? I don't know. That is not my line of work. But my small brain says that the more stuff we as Americans purchase here in the US the better off as a country we would be. Like I said, I don't know if that is right or wrong but it seems to make sense to me.

Ultimately, we as consumers need to do our research and shop at places we feel is best for us. Me personally? I do not buy anything directly from an asian market. Two reasons; 1. I do not trust my CC number or banking info going somehere that does not have the same conumer protection laws as we do here in the US and I like to limit exposure of my personal info especially when it comes to money and 2. I have yet to find something "over there" that could not be purchased here in the US.

Frank

PPS
I'm tired of the personal attacks so I am hoping by closing this thread down the hate mail will stop. Not sure why pointing out the fact that we have so many great stores here in the US to choose from would make someone so angry that they have to take it out on me. I guess shipping to them is cost prohibitive or something like that.
NOTHING local is made LOCAL, or even in the USA, so one way or another the money is going out of the USA. I cant see paying twice as much for something, also i do buy building materials local,but lipos planes ect nope. I buy from Headsuprc, Amainhobbies,Grayson,twisted hobbies, and most planes come from Nitroplanes.Also love epbuddy,and servo city
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:02 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
NOTHING local is made LOCAL, or even in the USA, so one way or another the money is going out of the USA. I cant see paying twice as much for something, also i do buy building materials local,but lipos planes ect nope. I buy from Headsuprc, Amainhobbies,Grayson,twisted hobbies, and most planes come from Nitroplanes.Also love epbuddy,and servo city
All those shops you mentioned are considered local- they all have some presence here in the US.

I think somewhere along the lines the OP's definition became blurred from strictly buying from your local LHS to any USA shop, to any presence in US...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=64

So as long as you aren't ordering straight from overseas, by OP's definition it's Local- heck Hobbying is Local as long as you buy from the USA warehouse.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:30 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,478 Posts
As an outsider looking in (I'm in the UK). The whole basis of this thread is laughable. You are asked to shop locally to support the US economy when the 'local' dealers you are asked to support buy virtually all (if not absolutely all) of their products from overseas and therefore themselves do very little to support the US economy.

The 'local' dealers who get so much praise from Frank buy on the basis of 'cheapest is best regardless of country of origin' yet when the end user takes the same approach he's dispised

I don't get it

If the argument was purely 'buy from local dealer XYZ because he gives great service and you get your stuff the next day' then fair enough, but don't kid yourself that it helps the economy.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:46 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I would like to know who on this entire forum is connected and engaging with a U.S.of A. product. Anyone have a made in the USA laptop? Router?, not Porter Cable , .. My underground cable I bought is made in the US, but not the wire .. I waiting on this in a short time...then one for the whole world... Dave,
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
As an outsider looking in (I'm in the UK). The whole basis of this thread is laughable. You are asked to shop locally to support the US economy when the 'local' dealers you are asked to support buy virtually all (if not absolutely all) of their products from overseas and therefore themselves do very little to support the US economy.

The 'local' dealers who get so much praise from Frank buy on the basis of 'cheapest is best regardless of country of origin' yet when the end user takes the same approach he's dispised

I don't get it

If the argument was purely 'buy from local dealer XYZ because he gives great service and you get your stuff the next day' then fair enough, but don't kid yourself that it helps the economy.
If the local economy added value and made a profit, then it absolutely does benefit us locally. If you choose to buy direct from China, and you end up paying the same or more than at your local shop, them you sent money to China that could have stayed here.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501