HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Exactly. If we didn't or somehow couldn't buy "local", as defined by "living room ordering", then Andy and everyone else would be out of a job at Horizon since virtually everything they sell is made overseas...mostly in China.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:48 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
673 Posts
I would not worry. As much as Americans buy from overseas, overseas buyers buy from the USA. As you see, I live in Australia and buy from all over the world. There is no advantage for me for shop at my LHS as I live 100 kms from my closest one. Its cheaper for me to buy from the USA than drive the 100 kms to Canberra.

Where many LHS's fail in my mind is they are not taking an advantage of trading in a world market. Many do have web sites but they are poorly set up and their pricing is generally too high. I acknowledge pricing is driven by necessity because they are based upon a small turn over, maintaining expensive staff and shop fronts and maintaining stock on shelves whereas they could probably make more money putting that money in the bank.

There are a number of suppliers in Australia who trade world wide and my only reason for using them is speed of delivery. Most times this is the next day. Some of these do not have shop fronts and this is a modern way of internet trading. I do buy from the USA and generally find the "shops" give good service and post orders immediately. Where the USA does fall down on service is on it's postal service. It tends to be very erratic in delivery times.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:32 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I guess "local" means something entirely different between us. Among my peers "local" means "in my immediate vicinity" which is subjective but generally would mean (to me) "a reasonable drive for the type of item to purchase there." To me that would be less than an hour drive unless there were no hobby shops closer.

My understanding of your definition is where I would use the word "domestically" meaning "in my country" in contrast to "international." Canada is a gray area for me right up until I fill in the Customs Declaration at the post office.

I was confused by the references to shopping from the living room. That's not "buying locally" no matter how the definition is twisted. Conceptually it's no different than mail order except that it's done electronically, and I doubt anybody considers mail order to be local. All those "mail order brides" are just "local girls" then. How would one define paisano?!?!?

I recently ordered some ball bearings for an engine. The company that sells the parts does not have a customer pickup window, as virtually all of their sales are web/mail to customers around the globe. But I was buying locally, as the company is based in Champaign just a few blocks from my office. If I were buying them from my old home in NJ, I wouldn't consider that a local purchase - it would be inter-state, domestic. I would have the option of buying them locally there, though, as a brick-and-mortar just 10 minutes from my old house keeps those items in stock. That would have been a local purchase, even though I would have crossed state lines to do it.

Shopping online in your living room from a store across the country is not a "local" purchase just because you do it in your underwear.

Andy

That's cool. Whatever you want to call it. Doesn't make either opinion right or wrong.

Like I said, great service, low shipping, and a fast delivery and I am happy. Our peers have picked those stores in the link above and I am happy to support them with my hard earned cash for the products I buy.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,764 Posts
By all these new definition, HobbyKing is now local too. They have a USA warehouse... or are we excluding HK?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
By all these new definition, HobbyKing is now local too. They have a USA warehouse... or are we excluding HK?
Sure, why not? Basically no different from Horizon. Employ some US workers, throw up a warehouse or two, but pretty much everything's still made in China anyway.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Sure, why not? Basically no different from Horizon. Employ some US workers, throw up a warehouse or two, but pretty much everything's still made in China anyway.
Exactly
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:37 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,764 Posts
Quote:
Awesome! That means I've been buying 99% of my electronics and Lipos locally! wow...so proud of myself . Planes on the other hand, only account for 20%, I've purchased the other 80% from stores like hobby lobby, advantage hobby, etc.

As for my LHS, I feel like I get ripped off each and every time I go there, so I only buy when I'm really really desperate...like a crack addict desperate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:23 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,114 Posts
I buy most of my stuff from HeadsUp RC in Florida. I buy my lipos from Haiyin from their US location and occasionally from the LHS. I prefer to buy in the USA but for a few things I can't get here I still go overseas but rarely.

My LHS has mostly brand name stuff and I just can't afford it. Headsup has nicely made generic motors, ESC's etc. that are just as good as the brand name stuff but much less expensive. They only charge me $2 to get an order from Florida to Oregon in 2-3 days. Just can't beat that. I had a bad experience with Hobby King so I have pretty much stopped shopping there at all.

HeadsUp RC, Maxx Products, Mountain Models, Pat's Custom Models, National Balsa pretty much take care of what I need and all are US based.

Dave

P.S. I have worked in China and they do make some high quality products. Someday they will have to look for a lowest cost country to source their own products but for now they are very competitive. Global economics is a very complex thing and will always be in a state of change. Remember when Japan starting becoming the low cost source? That didn't last forever either.
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
P.S. I have worked in China and they do make some high quality products. Someday they will have to look for a lowest cost country to source their own products but for now they are very competitive. Global economics is a very complex thing and will always be in a state of change. Remember when Japan starting becoming the low cost source? That didn't last forever either.
Absolutely. I expect to see a lot of stuff start being made in sub-Saharan Africa in my lifetime.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,764 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely. I expect to see a lot of stuff start being made in sub-Saharan Africa in my lifetime.
sure. I'd bet you can order a poison dart made from porcupine needles and probably pay like $5 shipped!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
sure. I'd bet you can order a poison dart made from porcupine needles and probably pay like $5 shipped!
I meant R/C (especially electronics) stuff.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,764 Posts
Quote:
I meant R/C (especially electronics) stuff.
No problem- You seen that vid where they turned a dead cat into a flying heli! I'm sure you can buy a dead porcupine for 50% off straight from that place. electronics...no sweat. Just dig up those landmines there and I'm sure you convert that into rc stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
No problem- You seen that vid where they turned a dead cat into a flying heli! I'm sure you can buy a dead porcupine for 50% off straight from that place. electronics...no sweat. Just dig up those landmines there and I'm sure you convert that into rc stuff.
Catcopter is one of the sickest things I've ever seen... and I don't think it was local - it certainly wasn't in Boulder, where they send you to jail for things like that
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
No problem- You seen that vid where they turned a dead cat into a flying heli!
That thing was hilarious. Perfect for Halloween! Scare the crap out of some trick or treaters.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,700 Posts
i think the catcopter was a european creation - iirc a dutch artist
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl