HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Here's the problem as I see it...the problem is that we all have elected to buy products in the RC industry. THAT is a constant. Those products are mainly produced overseas so once you've made the choice to use them...you're sending money outside of this country and it doesn't matter where you buy them from.

If you feel better spending a few more dollars to support the retailer who brought those products "locally" to you, that's great! There's nothing wrong with that.

If you find a way to save money so you can save or spend on your own family then that's cool too!!

Lipos are the best example out there. If you choose to use Lipos...then you're choosing to send money overseas right then and there. It doesn't matter where you buy them from becasue they are ALL from overseas. The choice you have left is how much you spend on them.

From the example above...Spending $175 on two lipos from Horizon is cool...pretty expensive, but you're supporting Horizon and it's US employees....ALONG with whomever manufactured those two lipos.

If you buy those (probably better) two lipos from overseas for $70...that's cool...and you now have $105 to spend on a family dinner at a local restaurant. OR...more money into your child's college fund.

Both examples the profit margin stays "locally".

I feel it's up to you to decide how you want your money to be spent....and other comsumers have no right to try to make other consumers feel guilty about how they're spending their own money.

Now, there is a whole arguement for customer service...and that you're also paying for that. I totally agree and that has to factor into your decision!! If you don't need that customer service then you shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not paying for it.

For me, my larger motors and ESCs.....I buy from companies and vendors that provide me the support I require. For items I don't require the same level of support, I may have other sources.
This is basically what I was saying before and it was ignored or misunderstood. The product comes from China, but it does not have to be sold directly from HK to your door. If vendors can add value by giving service or whatever, then you are still supporting the local economy.

What I'm saying, and I think others are hinting at is: the market should drive this behavior, not some sense of social responsibility. If your LHS provides good service and value, you will buy there - but if they don't, can we really blame the customers for going someplace else?!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
It's a lot of fun. I have a hexacopter with a camera gimble for work. It takes a while to get used to.
Hexacopter? That's with 6 motors? I have no doubts that it will be a ton of fun. That is my hesitastion in getting into it. I'm afraid it is going to be too much fun and too much money.

Work huh? Lucky you.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:38 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Hexacopter? That's with 6 motors? I have no doubts that it will be a ton of fun. That is my hesitastion in getting into it. I'm afraid it is going to be too much fun and too much money.

Work huh? Lucky you.

Frank
Yep 6 motors. I'm a professional photographer and I use it to get a different point of view. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. It all depends on distance/height you want to go = how much money. The fpv forum is full of information. They have stickies for just about anything.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Yep 6 motors. I'm a professional photographer and I use it to get a different point of view. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. It all depends on distance/height you want to go = how much money. The fpv forum is full of information. They have stickies for just about anything.
Wow, that's awesome!

I have been reading the stickies there are also been keeping a log of what I learn as I go along as well building a "shopping list" of what I am going to buy.

I plan on going with a quad from here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/new-m...ame-combo-kits and go from there. I hear Naza makes the best boards so I'll probably go that route but ouch! they are expensive.

I have RF6 and been practicing on flying them as often as I get the chance. The hardest part seems to be orientation.

Frank
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's awesome!

I have been reading the stickies there are also been keeping a log of what I learn as I go along as well building a "shopping list" of what I am going to buy.

I plan on going with a quad from here: http://www.altitudehobbies.com/new-m...ame-combo-kits and go from there. I hear Naza makes the best boards so I'll probably go that route but ouch! they are expensive.

I have RF6 and been practicing on flying them as often as I get the chance. The hardest part seems to be orientation.

Frank
Fpv actually got me into this hobby. It was all downhill from there, now I have a hexacopter, 1600mm sky walker fpv plane and 5 warbirds. Iflight 550 is what I have. It's really a dji f550. Same stuff just re branded. I have a Naza board and gps. It's really cool to flip the rth switch and watch it come back and land at your feet. Orientation is very hard without the fpv aspect of it. I can't go very far without losing it. They put white legs on the front but it still confuses me.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that's awesome!

Frank
I'm working with these guys... (that's where I filmed the Nano CPX review video)
http://www.coloradorchobbies.com/

I'm planning to go with this little DJI quad copter as my first little platform, but eventually plan to go up to "Cinestar" size - something that can carry my Sony Alpha. I used the mQX to learn to fly quads.

http://www.dronesvision.com/dji-f450...dcopter-frame/

But first, I have an airplane to build
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Thanks for the links Jaz. I added the DronesVision to my list. The colorado link did not work for me though.

And oh yea, you running a little behind on that Laser stick so you better get to steppin'.

Frank
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the links Jaz. I added the DronesVision to my list. The colorado link did not work for me though.

And oh yea, you running a little behind on that Laser stick so you better get to steppin'.

Frank
Well, the DronesVision web site is actually out of China, so don't add it to your list. They just had a good page about the DJI kit. The other link is one of the local hobby shops... it's the one in this video...

I had a memorial service this weekend and an actual date with a real lady as well, so I obviously had to focus on that. The plane is coming together though - I have to drill holes in it for the LEDs. Might make a video about that, we'll see.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,926 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the links Jaz. I added the DronesVision to the list.

Frank
Why, you won't buy from them anyway unless you consider Taiwan local

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I'm working with these guys... (that's where I filmed the Nano CPX review video)
http://www.coloradorchobbies.com/

I'm planning to go with this little DJI quad copter as my first little platform, but eventually plan to go up to "Cinestar" size - something that can carry my Sony Alpha. I used the mQX to learn to fly quads.

http://www.dronesvision.com/dji-f450...dcopter-frame/

But first, I have an airplane to build
I believe the guy has his store in Colorado. He just moved to a different part of Colorado and is trying to get settled. When i ordered something there he was out of stock and did drop ship from china.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Why, you won't buy from them anyway unless you consider Taiwan local

Azarr
Aw come on now Azar, that was a low blow.

Even though they are in Taiwan that doesn't prevent me from sharing that with my friends.

Frank
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
I believe the guy has his store in Colorado. He just moved to a different part of Colorado and is trying to get settled. When i ordered something there he was out of stock and did drop ship from china.
Kinda... what's going on is that he operates under a couple different names. He's the Magnum Fuel guy, the storefront is called "Heliport Hobbies" and it's been in the same place for a long while, and I think "Colorado RC Hobby" is the actual company name. Something like that - but it is all the same guy (Buzz, see photo) and the same 70th street location.

Altitude Hobby which Frank linked is a completely different operation. It's a real world store in Fort Collins which is quite a bit north of here, which is why I've never used my gift certificate from them that I won at the 3D Throwdown. Northerners say it's a great shop though.

Here's a link to Heliport Hobbies on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/heli-port-hobbies-denver

But his web site should be working just fine... http://www.coloradorchobbies.com/
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered Misuser
Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Aviano
Joined Jan 2004
338 Posts
Wow Frank, heck of a thread you got here. Glad to see your logic isnít falling entirely on deaf ears. Iím out here getting my COLA sup, only to face paying 15 Euro for a $3 Hobby King servoÖ often in the same little baggie. Hopefully enough of us can see through the moral vs economic bs and understand what youíre saying.

I source plenty from Heads Up R/C and the like (although Value Hobby burned me on a charger and didnít seem to give a damn). Plenty of the stuff does come from China, but itís vetted for duds and even guaranteed in many cases. The minimal cost difference is more than covered by the peace of mind and the personal message of appreciation.

Unfortunately, very few can appreciate that. Thereís no way to compare spending $50 vs $10 for an ESC. Itís spending $13 vs $10 for an ESC that shows up in three days vs three weeks where you can win people over.

Local is out of the question for me, but US based shops are definitely a win.

I'll try to keep up with the posts but that was a heck of a read...

Cheers,
Vince L.
Vince77 is offline Find More Posts by Vince77
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Oh not the same guy or store. The guy I talked to wasn't named buzz.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Oh not the same guy or store. The guy I talked to wasn't named buzz.
Yeah we have quite a few hobby shops just in the Denver area, and then a few more to the south in CO Springs and some to the north in Fort Collins and Greeley.

The ones here in town are:
HobbyTown - 92nd and Wadsworth (Nick is the heli guy there)
Heliport Hobby - 70th and Pecos (Cody and Buzz know their stuff)
Thompson's Hobby - Colfax and Wadsworth (Jerry Thompson - electric planes expert, and building expert - has won the builders contest more than once)
Colpar Hobbies (now a HobbyTown dealer) - Two stores, I go to 285 and Wadsworth
Action Hobby - Colfax and Tabor (Lakewood) - I go here a lot, the owner's name is Brad Weissenfels (see photo)

We do ok around here, partly due to competition between those stores. For the most part, their prices are below or at online prices, and they all have fairly good service.