HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:32 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Why is it OK for US based internet retailers, LHSs, and major distributors to buy foreign products (and sell to U.S. consumers) but it's not OK for U.S. consumers to buy those same products directly?

It's OK for a U.S. Hobby store to buy a bunch of foreign products....as long as they sell them to US consumers to make a profit for themselves?

But it's not OK for me as a consumer to find the best price for what I need...and very possibly keep more of MY money in MY pocket to spend on MY family in MY locality?

Explain this to me.
He cannot.

Second - considering that USA is a UNITED STATES co-operative ... where each state looks after itself, applying taxes, etc ... sending money out of state to another state for products - is that really that much different to international order ?

Surely the real benefit if you want to buy and keep US interests going - is to buy within your own locale ... ie State or even better own Town ?

Europe is fast becoming USE ... United States of Europe ... and spending money in another state in EU is no benefit whatsoever to own locale ... and IMHO will never change.

??

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
Team 3DHS
djmoose's Avatar
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Here's the problem as I see it...the problem is that we all have elected to buy products in the RC industry. THAT is a constant. Those products are mainly produced overseas so once you've made the choice to use them...you're sending money outside of this country and it doesn't matter where you buy them from.

If you feel better spending a few more dollars to support the retailer who brought those products "locally" to you, that's great! There's nothing wrong with that.

If you find a way to save money so you can save or spend on your own family then that's cool too!!

Lipos are the best example out there. If you choose to use Lipos...then you're choosing to send money overseas right then and there. It doesn't matter where you buy them from becasue they are ALL from overseas. The choice you have left is how much you spend on them.

From the example above...Spending $175 on two lipos from Horizon is cool...pretty expensive, but you're supporting Horizon and it's US employees....ALONG with whomever manufactured those two lipos.

If you buy those (probably better) two lipos from overseas for $70...that's cool...and you now have $105 to spend on a family dinner at a local restaurant. OR...more money into your child's college fund.

Both examples the profit margin stays "locally".

I feel it's up to you to decide how you want your money to be spent....and other comsumers have no right to try to make other consumers feel guilty about how they're spending their own money.

Now, there is a whole arguement for customer service...and that you're also paying for that. I totally agree and that has to factor into your decision!! If you don't need that customer service then you shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not paying for it.

For me, my larger motors and ESCs.....I buy from companies and vendors that provide me the support I require. For items I don't require the same level of support, I may have other sources.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Here's the problem as I see it...the problem is that we all have elected to buy products in the RC industry. THAT is a constant. Those products are mainly produced overseas so once you've made the choice to use them...you're sending money outside of this country and it doesn't matter where you buy them from.

If you feel better spending a few more dollars to support the retailer who brought those products "locally" to you, that's great! There's nothing wrong with that.

If you find a way to save money so you can save or spend on your own family then that's cool too!!

Lipos are the best example out there. If you choose to use Lipos...then you're choosing to send money overseas right then and there. It doesn't matter where you buy them from becasue they are ALL from overseas. The choice you have left is how much you spend on them.

From the example above...Spending $175 on two lipos from Horizon is cool...pretty expensive, but you're supporting Horizon and it's US employees....ALONG with whomever manufactured those two lipos.

If you buy those (probably better) two lipos from overseas for $70...that's cool...and you now have $105 to spend on a family dinner at a local restaurant. OR...more money into your child's college fund.

Both examples the profit margin stays "locally".

I feel it's up to you to decide how you want your money to be spent....and other comsumers have no right to try to make other consumers feel guilty about how they're spending their own money.

Now, there is a whole arguement for customer service...and that you're also paying for that. I totally agree and that has to factor into your decision!! If you don't need that customer service then you shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not paying for it.

For me, my larger motors and ESCs.....I buy from companies and vendors that provide me the support I require. For items I don't require the same level of support, I may have other sources.
Very well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
You mention that place again. Do they really have a store here in the US? Do you have an address for it? It would be cool to actaully see it on Google street maps. I see it mentioned many times but I am not sure if it really exists or is it just an urban legend.

Thanks,

Frank
It's real. Now here's the conundrum. Since it's in the USA does it count as local or still overseas?

9822 47th Avenue Southwest building 18 ste. a, Lakewood, WA

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08256&t=h&z=18
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Last edited by Babadush; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:55 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
It's real. Now here's the conundrum. Since it's in the USA does it count as local or still overseas?

9822 47th Avenue Southwest building 18 ste. a, Lakewood, WA

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08256&t=h&z=18
Cool. Thanks.

Frank

PS Just saw your edit. That is a very good question. Probably needs a little more thought on how their operation works before an answer can be given. Do you know?
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added PS
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Cool. Thanks.

Frank

PS Just saw your edit. That is a very good question. Probably needs a little more thought on how their operation works before an answer can be given. Do you know?
No problem. I was weary too at first.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:26 AM
Team 3DHS
djmoose's Avatar
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Very well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

Frank
I'm in no way shape or form saying it's a good situation or that I have the difinitive answers....

I am trying to point out that it's not as cut & dry or black & white as many think it is.

Frank, HeadsupRC, ProgressiveRC, Altitude, Millenium, Stevens, Dubro...all of these guys are AMAZING retailers. I'm not trying to take anything away from them. (and I'm sure there are many more...)

However, in my opinion the arguement for money staying in america for items that are manufactured overseas is not entirely accurate...or not as accurate/simple as many try to make it.

I greatly appreciate your list of companies that sell American MADE products! Awesome list right there!
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
I for one love headsuprc. For motors that's my go to place. The amount of data they give helps me save time on ecalc.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
I'm in no way shape or form saying it's a good situation or that I have the difinitive answers....

I am trying to point out that it's not as cut & dry or black & white as many think it is.

Frank, HeadsupRC, ProgressiveRC, Altitude, Millenium, Stevens, Dubro...all of these guys are AMAZING retailers. I'm not trying to take anything away from them. (and I'm sure there are many more...)

However, in my opinion the arguement for money staying in america for items that are manufactured overseas is not entirely accurate...or not as accurate/simple as many try to make it.

I greatly appreciate your list of companies that sell American MADE products! Awesome list right there!
Totally agree on all counts Jeff and thanks for the kind words.

It is not a simple thing at all and I really can't believe this thread has ballooned like it has with such strong opinions on both sides. The good thing it has on the most part been pretty civil. There have been some nasty shots taken by a couple folks but overall I do not think the mods have had to step in and moderate. I'm happy to see that.

The great thing thing that I have learned from this thread and the thread about favorite vendors is that we have a plethora (name the movie that made that word famous) of shops here in the US that we can use to purchase our RC goods from. I did not realize there were so many. Nor did I realize that there are so many companies that make RC products right here in the US. Folks have shared over 250 companies with me so far. That's huge!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
I for one love headsuprc. For motors that's my go to place. The amount of data they give helps me save time on ecalc.
That is what seperates them from the rest. You may be interested in this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671893

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
That is what seperates them from the rest. You may be interested in this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1671893

Frank
Do you ever shop at readymaderc. That's another place I like. Although that's more fpv.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
Do you ever shop at readymaderc. That's another place I like. Although that's more fpv.
That's the first I heard of them. Thanks for letting me know. I have added them to my list.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23023463

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
That's the first I heard of them. Thanks for letting me know. I have added them to my list.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post23023463

Frank
Cool thanks. It's very hard to find fpv retailers in the USA
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
Cool thanks. It's very hard to find fpv retailers in the USA
No sweat! My next RC adventure is going to be quads with FPV. That's if I can justify the cost to myself.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Registered User
Babadush's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
No sweat! My next RC adventure is going to be quads with FPV. That's if I can justify the cost to myself.

Frank
It's a lot of fun. I have a hexacopter with a camera gimble for work. It takes a while to get used to.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant Why you should not buy a DJI product second hand. iscgdave Multirotor Talk 76 Jul 28, 2012 11:28 PM
Discussion Not seeing my product reviews, why? jokeane Nitro Planes 1 May 20, 2012 06:33 PM
Discussion Why Not Support Our Hobby? Murocflyer AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) 356 Nov 27, 2009 07:41 AM
not any of our business .... a private conversation ... so why bring it up? logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 7 Mar 16, 2004 04:25 PM
Where to buy HECELLs and please request your hobby shop to carry our products. hsuusa Batteries and Chargers 0 Dec 14, 2002 10:54 AM