SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
Discussion
Pacific Balsa - Dictator boat kit. Build and RC conversion

Greetings All,

Haven't watched a few video's on youtube and reading a couple of forum postings I've decided to build a Pacific Balsa - Dictator boat kit and convert to RC. The kit itself was only 20 but its obviously going to cost quite a bit more to make it go fast!

I've got a bit of experience building full size boats, I also scratch built a International One Meter a few years ago so I should be ok with the woodwork and the fibreglassing. Building is underway, the included canopy seemed flimsy and I wasn't sure how well it would seal so I've built one up from scrap balsa. I probably should have waited to find out whats going inside first but you know what its like when the balsa comes out, hopefully i've got enough room!

As you can see its pretty damn small so I need some advice regarding the engine setup. I'm speed reading as much as I can to try and work things out myself but honestly all the numbers are blurring together and i'm confused!

I know i'm making things difficult for myself picking such a small boat for a first time electric build but can someone please recommend a suitable engine and battery setup to make this tiny craft go very very fast?

I've found this setup which includes drive shaft and rudder...

https://astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/pr...ac39ba81b69c88

which seems like it should work? are there any better options out there?

I promise to post more build pictures and any crash damage from putting a really fast motor in this boat!!
tim_uk is online now Find More Posts by tim_uk
Last edited by tim_uk; Oct 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added a title
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
construction continues, i've added about 4cm extra width, not really sure if this will help or hinder matters but i can't help myself from messing with the design. Now i've mocked it up it looks a bit like i've created a couple of wing on either side of the hull?! hmm is this going to make the boat flip up or at model boat speeds is aero dynamics really much of an issue?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:49 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
The boat looks real good , and yes aerodynamics make a huge difference how the boat performs . Your's is looking more like a tunnel hull , It should make it faster . Hope you intend to glass that wood . I think I would use a medium weave cloth.What size is the boat . And what will be the all up weight , estimated . The drive sys. depends on the motor you use 1/8 flex cable will not stand a lot of power .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
hi Bill

Thanks for the info about the drive wire, hadn't even considered that, i'll keep looking.

I read on another forum that someone built one of these up total weight 500grams, not sure what i'm aiming for but i'm intending to make it as light as possible. so far it weights 85grams with all the main balsa structure complete, glass cloth is on order so will have to wait to see how much it weighs when laminated.

oh and the overall length is 14inch, which means I might have posted in the wrong forum, should be in the micro section, oops!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:19 PM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
You should have no trouble using the drive sys. you first looked at . I would go to hobby king and look at some of the 2850s or 2860 inrunners . They also have some water cooled outrunners that might just be the ticket for you .
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
Continuing the experimental theme I've decided to laminate the hull with nylon tights! I'm sure I read somewhere this is a legitimate technique for an ultra lightweight glass skin or perhaps the resin fumes have gone to my head

The hardest part of the process is braving the funny looks in the shop buying ladies tights at 9am on a sunday morning but i managed it. I'm intending to use the tights for the outer skin and use some thicker glass fibre cloth for extra reinforcement where necessary.

i also finished off a hand shaped boomerang which i've been practicing laminating on (next one might be covered in tights!)
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:20 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Never heard of this method . Keep us posted , it should be strong as glass cloth . At least you hope so ?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
i'm hoping it has that same effect as really fine glass cloth, will have to wait and see. i'm also going to strengthen the main hull where i mount the motor and on the transom, the rest can afford to be a lot lighter (i think)

it hasn't all melted into a horrible mess (yet) so i've added another coat of resin, finger crossed.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
main hull has been skinned, i'm happy with the results. weight is 71grams, once i add the sponsons and glue the hull together should be about 200 grams.

would the following be ok for motor and battery combo?

Leopard LBA 2435/ 4000

Turns: 20
Max amps: 17A
power: 250W
KV: 4000
Diameter: 24mm Length: 35mm Weight: 73gm

with Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 11.1v 25C 35C Lipo - Pack Weight: 188g

I still haven't worked out what all the numbers mean so i may be way out here!!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:11 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,394 Posts
4000 kv is way too high for 3s use. 2500 kv would put you really close to where you want to be..
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
ok I'll continue looking, thanks for your input bill.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
If the boat were mine this is the motor I would run with a 50 or 60 amp water cooled ESC . It's the ADS 400L 3700kv motor . It can be run on 2 or 3s lipo It's a 600 watt motor and will make that nice boat of yours a rocket ship . Motor can be had at hobbyking.Just go to boat motors .
Last edited by highflyerbill; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
ok you got me at rocket ship, i've ordered one of those motors, hopefully i can navigate the trials of hobbyking international shipping to the UK. The motor was about half the price of something similar in the UK, i think its worth a shot. Most of the other bits and pieces have been ordered so lots of toys will be turning up over the next few days.

one of the final pieces of the puzzle is the prop, what sizes/makes should I be looking at?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2008
45 Posts
after the stress of spending a bit too much money chasing some rocket ship micro tunnel hull dream I have returned the relative calm of laminating. My one concession to extra strengh, one layer of 50gm glass fibre on the bottom of the sponsons. still needs a final squeegee in this pic. can still see a lo of sanding in my future

The ultra light ladies tight technique (ULLTT) has been a success. According to a learned friend at work its been used by aero modellers for years?! oh well guess i'm not that original.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
She’s looking quite good and thank you for sharing your unique build.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal