HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:03 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
BTW...the plane in the pics you posted I think have the same windshield that mine will have (not like what is provided with the kit). Should be easier than what the kit includes; less compound curve sanding on that balsa block that goes between the wings.

That is a nice color combo though!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2010
109 Posts
here's the wankel specs Power Output: 1.1 PS, 1.08 HP at 17,000 RPM
Weight: 335g (11.8oz)
Practical RPM: 2,500 - 18,000 RPM
good thing about it it has more power than a regular piston side engine like a .46 side and the side it's smaller compare to it ,,,and another good thing about it almost no vibration,,so will see how it works ,,,i have to start building the fuse the wing it's all done ,,tail group too ,,
problem its time in between tacking care of my kid an other proyects im working around the house having free time it's something hard to come by....im glad that the motor mount works ,,
amilcar is offline Find More Posts by amilcar
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
aaron looking forward to those update photos.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Sorry guys...it will be tomorrow. I left the camera at home today! Started working on the IP tonight...
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Sorry guys...it will be tomorrow. I left the camera at home today! Started working on the IP tonight...
You don't have a PC at home aaron? The photos don't have to be expertly done.

Bruce
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts

We do. We have two, in fact! But my wife is on them pretty much all of the time. I have learned that if I don't bother her when she is on the computer, she won't bother me when I am working on a plane or recording music (my other hobby).
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
BTW most of my evening updates are done from my cell phone. I have not figured out how to upload pics from my phone onto RCGroups.

Besides, I enjoy the break from work to update the build log
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2010
109 Posts
ok here;s one pic i just took of what i have done so far,,,i'll see if by next week i resume work on the stinson ,i been very busy lately ,,of course my beisman is a mess ,,and my work bench much worse ,,
amilcar is offline Find More Posts by amilcar
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Pictures...at long last!

Here are the pics I promised. The paint on the cowl are base coats...

As much as I wanted to go with a 4-stroke, there is no way one would have fit without massive mods to the firewall/nose of the plane. That would have also caused the fuel tank to stick out more in the cabin.

Oh well. I am committed to the Evo at this point!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Still dreaming of my next build...

I was looking around on the internet about the Ryan STA and Mr. Mulligan and found the following links:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11208903

What an STA! Seeing people build like this makes me either want to become a better builder or give up entirely. But seeing how his plane is turning out makes me want to build the Ryan STA next...

This guy did a great job on his Mr. Mulligan, and he makes it look so clean and easy:

http://aviationstation.net/2003-projects/mrmulligan/

But he quit when he was getting close to being done framing it up

He makes it look so easy, I think maybe I could build it next.

Oh well, I should just focus on finishing my current project.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:22 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,743 Posts
It never hurts to dream.

During a build, I'm always looking for what I will build next. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
aaron... it's looking really good I have a question does it show the prop sticking that far out in front of the cowling on the plans? Or did you have to do that so not to cut up the front of the model (the fire wall)

Your interior looks really good nice and large are you sure you want to paint it? and not use some fabric or leather for the walls,doors, header & seats.

Did you ever decide on your covering? fabric (dope) Solartex, silk, monokote?

You can do a lot w this model take your time w/ this one and get you materials ready for the next build and plan but don't cut this one short there's still a great deal of detail that you could add to this build if you want to.

I can't see the exhaust port to try and help you find a muffler you need some more shots of that area.

keep up the good work,

Bruce
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Bruce, thanks for all of the comments!!!! Let me see if I can get to all of them from my phone...

The prop...two issues. One is that this engine is big for this plane, and I did not want to cut into the firewall to push it back. That would have really messed up the fuel tank location. I can take pics of it, but the tank is currently smack up against the bulkhead aft of the dash. Had I cut the firewall back, I would have had to modify that bulkhead as well. And the tank would have been where the seats will go.

The second part of the prop is that when I move the cowl forward for final mounting, the shaft will stick out almost exactly as shown on the plans (it does stick out a bit according to the plans).

The cabin...I will start out with a painted base coat. The full scale version is FULL of navigation and rescure gear, which I will make out of cardboard, wire, balsa, fabric, and wires. The full scale's cabin has no padding in it, except on the seats. Remember, it was a utility plane!

Still not sure about the covering material. It will most likely come down to weight...which I will check when the cabin is done.

You are right about the exhaust...I have not cut that out of the cowl yet. Need to fit the muffler first. Based on what I can do with a muffler, I can see what I can do about the exhaust. The full scale only has exhaust running the length of the underside of the cowl. I am hopefull that I can replicate that. I can take more pics and post some measurements in case anyone has ideas!

Again, thanks for the comments! I will take my time on this one, but like I have said, I love gluing sticks of wood and framing most of all. I will get this one done before moving on. I am not able to work on more than one plane at a time. I have framed up dozens of planes, but only started fully finishing them about 4 years ago (with only 11 fully finished and flying planes).

Keep the ideas coming! I will post some pics of the full scale cabin tomorrow.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:32 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,865 Posts
Sorry aaron...I forgot you were doing the British recon. version carry on sir still watching.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
The recon version has no wheel pants and no blisters on the cowl so at least that will be easy.

I have a Top Flite Stinson kit that I hope to scale out like a regular Stinson. I already have the fiberglass parts...maybe that would be a good next kit...Might be Stinson over kill.