HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
When trying to cool our engines, it isn't how much air that we force into our cowls, but how much we let out.

Ideally, the ratio would be 3:1, air out vs air in.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
yes i have one sig ryan too ,i build one and i keep another kit ,but it's a pain in the neck will see when i have the time to build mine...i remember i use microballons for filling parts where the wood meet the plastic on the ryan ,,was the first time i use it and it works ok.. i have pics of that,,,the plastic pants ,,are made of 5 parts and i use that plastic filler between them i don't have a close pic of them,,,but belive me works perfect ,,,
amilcar is offline Find More Posts by amilcar
Last edited by amilcar; Jan 30, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
that's rigth ...im thinking on cutting the bottom cowling open like the real one since my engine is goin to be fully enclose inside of it,,,there's no much air that can escape between the fuse and the cowl
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Nice STA! Now I am wondering, should I build that next, or the Rearwin Speedster

The plans call for shaping the nose/firewall so that it is tappered. This leaves a fairly large gap between the fuse and the cowl, which is consistant with some versions of the full sized plane. That, along with the intake I will build on the bottom of the cowl should be enough, but I will try and do a measuring to match Tom's ratio.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Here are some pics of instrument panels. Amilcar, I think you could certainly pull these off on yours. Your building skills are great! The pattern provided in the kit is not accurate. At all.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Here is a good picture of what I will try to do with my panel. The first picture I found on the internet, the rest are from my trip to Oshkosh. there is some sort of tarp over the top (under the wing). I couldn't figure out what it was or what it was for. I doubt that I will try and replicate that.

The windshield on this kit is also not accurate for the version I am building.

But the seats in the version I want to build are fairly easy to replicate!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron View Post
Nice STA! Now I am wondering, should I build that next, or the Rearwin Speedster

The plans call for shaping the nose/firewall so that it is tappered. This leaves a fairly large gap between the fuse and the cowl, which is consistant with some versions of the full sized plane. That, along with the intake I will build on the bottom of the cowl should be enough, but I will try and do a measuring to match Tom's ratio.
The easiest way to hit the ratio is to seal off the gaps between the cylinders. Leave an area open in front of your cylinder head. The sealed area can be painted black to hide it fron view.

Which Rearwin kit do you have ? I hadf a Bridi kit, which I sold, and a Stafford kit that a friend built for me.

The Stafford Rearwin looked and flew great.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I have a Craft Air kit...sort of an odd ball (not much about it). I don't foresee it being a real scale type project, but I won't know until I start! I just love the classic kits of classic planes.

I guess there are a couple versions of the kit. Mine has a fiberglass cowl.

I am hoping to buy a Birdi version one day. After working on this Reliant, I really want to get back to working on larger planes.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:34 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
The Bridi Rearwin looked like a good kit. I wish that I hadn't parted with it.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
The Birdi comes up for sale from time to time...It must have been about a year ago someone was selling one here very cheaply. I wish I would have picked it up

Not too much to report. I have the fuel tank installed and I am now working on the new cabin floor plate.

Supposed to be a cold snowy weekend so I hope to get a lot done!

I was looking at the engine location vs. fueling the plane. Being that I had to push the engine as far back as it would go, and being that this engine (like all new engines and 4-strokes) has the tuning needle/fuel input at the back of the engine, there is very little space between the firewall and the fuel intake nipple. This won't be a problem for normal engine operation, but it could be an issue for fueling the tank!

Any thoughts?

I have a couple Great Planes remote fueler/filters that I could use...I would most likely mount it under the cowel but not sure yet.

Once I am done with the cabin, I will be to the point of covering. Any thoughts?

I would like to keep the colors as true to the full scale, but I have not found any traditional "off the shelf" materials which come in these colors. Some of them come close (which I may need to settle with). I was thinking about maybe trying Solartex and paint, but that may add too much weight...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:52 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,876 Posts
The GP fueler is a valid option. I prefer the DuBro, but I have used the GP with no problems.

On a small model like this, Mono, or Ultra may be your best option.

Having said that, I do plan to use Solartex/Coverite on my 72" Monoprep, and paint it. It should weigh around 6-7#, and I'll power it with an OS 52 4 stroke.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I had a very productive weekend!

I got the cabin fully sheeted (and ready to scale out), the final tank installation done, and the rest of the fuse sheeted (with some rough sanding). I got the engine remounted and the cowl cut up and ready to install.

I still need to fuel proof the firewall, and then I can mount the engine one last time.

Boy, I would not have wanted to use a larger engine. The 52 (which is supposed to be the size of a 46) is about all I can squeeze in there. The cylinder does not stick out too far, which is nice. But even with the engine as far back against the firewall as possible, the carb sticks out a bit more than I would have liked from the cowl. It does not look too bad, but still...

I did a quick CG check. I am way nose heavy right now. I know I still have some weight to put on the tail with covering, but I was surprised. I installed the radio gear farther back than what is called for in the plans and I am still so nose heavy. Time will tell...

This plane is certainly more designed for a 40-sized engine. But I am not sure a 40 would pull the plane around.

I would have pictures, but I left my camera here in the office (from the last time I dumped pictures)! I will snap a few pics tonight and get them up ASAP.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
sorry i was away for a while ,,aaron are you asking about the ryan firewall?..i modified the firewall i moved it back because my friend want me to fit a .120 4 strokes in there so i move it back,,,fits perfect,,,,,,i want to build mine too but i need it a cool off time from it ,that's why i started the stinson,, it has a lot of work on the plastic parts ,,but it looks really cool ,build the ryan next i can help you if you need it,I have a lot of pics if you need help ,,thanks for those interior pics ,,i have one small one those pics are perfect ,the control panels it's a must have on these plane will see ,,,,
during this week i'll see if i can resume building on the stinson,,,
AARON the mount worked ok?
Last edited by amilcar; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
i was goin to cover mine in polyester fabric and paint it later in red and black,m thinking on adding stiching details and so on ,,,but....as you said the weigth it's an issue ,,so i migth end it up using solartex.im sure i can ad those details on solartex too ,,,about the correct color ,,well mine is goin to be close ,,will see
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Good to have you back! The mount worked flawlessly! I took some pics tonight that I will post tomorrow. It is looking good! I thought about weighing it tonight, but I will hold off on that bad news until I am ready to cover

What is the displacement on your wankel?

I am still not sure what to cover mine with. I am afraid of the weight painting it will bring, but I can't find the right colors in traditional plastic covering materials.

The Ryan is a sweet kit. I will let you know when I build it. I am still wishing I was building a bigger plane. I was reading some build logs for the Bud Nosen Mr. Mulligan. I have one I want to build, but it might be outside of my abilities at this point.