HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:05 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
Very nice aaron...Well on your way w/ the cab, looking forward to seeing what you come up w/
for your seats.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
bad a@#ss interior great job,you was concern about the fuel tank but if you paint the it black ,you won't tell it's there, ,,,,im posting some pics of my progress ,,,wife and kid out of the house ,so im working rigth now in it ,i took a time to see some of yours pics to guide me on the building so here's what i have done so far ,,im working on installing the engine as we said im goin to use the wankel ,,,looks easy to install ,,but it's not that easy,,,it's a short engine so i have to build up like a 3/8 space between the engine mount and the firewall ,the other thing i did is that i cutted the plastic cly off ,,still look cool with the wankel there you'll see ,,once this ply block is dry i'll sand it to shape and glue it to the firewall ,i migth not be using the ply round shape that comes with the kit ,,,
im goin to do some interior detail but not crazy ,i just wan't to finish it so will see how it goes,im goin to work on the floor rigth now ,,,
amilcar is offline Find More Posts by amilcar
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Looks great! I hope my pics have helped out a bit, but you seem to have it under control! What do you need to adjust on the wing?

That engine is sweet. I have a couple other smaller kits that I would like to use one of those in. Need to add it to the ebay search!

You said something about adding stitching. How were you planning on doing that? Do they sell pinking tape small enough for this plane?

When we finish, we will have to meet up and have our planes meet
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
what have to adjust is ,i have to make the holes on the fuselage former to insert the wing pins ,,,if i decide to use fabric polyester to cover the plane in doin the stiching detail in it they have a bunch of videos how to do it on youtube ,,,will see when i get to that step,,,,
the engine is cool look really nice enclose in that cowling still im goin to have to cut a litle in the side of the cowl ,,,because the mufler it's fix they way it's will see how much i'll need to cut i may be able to place the valve covers plastic detail on top of the cut to cover it up ,,,will see i'll posted pics...now im working on fitting the fuel tank ,,,
maybe we can meet for the maiden fligth who knows ,,,
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
You guys are going to need skies on your planes up there in Frostburg MD.
How many inches of snow have you gotten so far this year aaron?
We've been lucky here at BWI this year and have dodged all of the storms that have come trough so far maybe 2" of SNOW at one time and it melted the next day, The storms have gone south and north of so far but we have been known to get HAMMERED on Presidents day in this area.
Both of your planes are looking great guys looking forward to seeing the rest of your builds.

Bruce
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I think we have gotten about 40 inches total, but it normally snows here and the melts, and the snows again. Last Friday we only got to about 4 degrees, with blinding snow. Today it got to almost 60! But there is more snow coming tonight and over the weeken.

We are supposed to average 100 inches if snown per year.

I don't mind the snow. We live across the street from the University, so I don't need to drive to work. But I don't like the cold. The house we rent has an oil burning furnace, which sucks. I burn through about $350 worth of oil per month, and it is not that warm at home! The only heat in the basement (where I build) comes from the burner in the furnace. So it is often COLD down there! Our lease is up in about 16 months, and I hope that in about 3 years we can mive away from here.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Amilcar..I look forward to how you cover your plane. I am still unsure how I will do that with mine...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
ok i migth do it with sig polyester fabric ,,i never used solartex even if it looks like fabric ,,,fabric is fabric ,,and i had cover a lot of planes with isig fabric before so for me is easy to work with. It takes a litle more time to get it ready to the paint stage and the paint process takes a litle longer but the results are awesome ,,,here's some pics of some of my planes cover with sig fabric ,,,the flying wing even if it is a ww2 plane it's also cover in fabric and then paint it,it will follow the shape of it perfect..I use nelson epoxi paints and belive or not these planes are all paint them with a foam brush,,,the paint can be diluted with water ,,and is easy to clean ,and not poison,
i never tried a different paint ,,some times im afraid to screw it up ,,that,s why i stick to this technique...if you want to ad stich details it's easy just make the stick strips then you glue them to the fabric on the locations you want and them paint on top ,,all the details need to be made before the paint ...
monokotte forget about that crap ,,,for me if you are building an scale model monokotte will make look the plane like a toy ...monokotte it's ok for different type of proyects ,see the autogyro pic,the gyro it's cover with monokotte but the blades are covered with fabric and then painted ,Hope this pics will help to decide a covering of choice,,,maybe you know a better technique ,,Please share .....
Last edited by amilcar; Feb 12, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:15 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
amilcar... very nice looking work do you have any finished photos of the HORTON?
Solartex is really nice to work with but it's a bit heaver than that fabric you have there
and it's also filled and primed when you iron it on ready to paint or you can leave it that color, it comes in many. I will have to check out this Nelson epoxy paint (water base) humm?

Bruce
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
By the time you seal the weave, I think that you will find Solartex to be lighter than Koverall and the polyester fabrics.

Solartex, after application, is ready for paint. No sealing, no priming. Just paint. It still provides the fabric "look" without all the hassle of the other products.

Nelson paint is not an epoxy. It is a good product, however. I used it on my 1/4 Spacewalker, and it produced a scale like finish.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
i never try solartex i migth ,,,thing is that you can get 48 yards that's rigth for aroung $15 i don't remember ,,,with that much you can cover 10 stinsons side planes more or less ...
paints they are reasonable ,,here's the link http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php
it's been a while since i order from them ,i think nelson sold the company to other guy but still using the same name,,there paints won't smell ,they are easy to clean up ,,and you can paint over metal ,plastic ,wood ,fabric etc ,,,since im building planes in my beisman ,winter times for example i don't have to wait for the summer to go outside to finish painting my proyects,,,
about the horten ,,,it's scratch build from plans ,,,it has 2 ducted fans ,,because i like the plane i start building it ,,,but im not into electric,,,so i gave it to a good friend of mine for him to fly it ,,,it use no landing gear just one center skid to land ,im planing on build and adapt one for it ,,,i still have to finish to install one of the engines and the air intake ,,after im done with the stinson i'll finish it ,,,most of the times i start another proyects without finish the ones i have allready started ,,,it happends....you can see that it's all painted with these nelson paints and you can't see the strokes or marks of the foam brush,,,you have to aplied litle coats
and usually withing 3 coats you have these finish you cover all the fabric ,,,
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
That is a cool project!

Well, I will decide what to do with the covering material once I get to that point. I am worried about weight. The box doesn't say anything about what the recommended weight of this bird should be, but I am afraid mine will be heavy (compared to other same sized aircraft). Right now I am leaning more in the direction of using solartex...I have never used it but I have heard very good things about it. I have always used Monocote in the past.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Aaron

I really hate to say this, but Monokote may be your best bet for your Stinson.

Like you, I believe that weight will be an issue.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I think your right, Tom. I do hate using Monokote sometimes! It is not as bad as Econokote. The first RC plane I ever built was a Sig Kadet Mk II, with my dad, about 25 years ago. We were on a fairly tight budget, but my dad knew I really wanted to learn how to fly.

We covered it in orange Econokote with my mom's clothing iron, using an old sock to protect the iron! It took weeks of slowly applying the plastic. But my dad and I spent a lot of time together doing it! And would you believe it...the covering job on that plane is still perfect to this day. The only damage to it is the result of my poor landings.

I have used Monokote on about 10 planes and they always need to be touched up from time to time.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I am terrible at covering, using plastic films, but my objection to Monokote, or any plastic film, is that they don't provide a realistic finish.

I don't see many other options, for a model of this size, though.