HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I am slowly working on the IP/Dash and I think I will look into a decal kit for the gauges. I was trying to figure out the actual scale of this bird, and I think it is smaller that I expected. Let me know if ky math is wrong...

1 and 3/8ths inch = 1 foot, according to the box. Also, the wingspan is 57 and 9/16ths, the full scale is 40 feet and 10 inches (again, according to the box).

That puts the scale at around 11.49%, right? A bit larger that 1/9th scale?
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:21 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,526 Posts
I get 8.5 scale. 12 divided by 1.375, and 490 divided by 57.6

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Hi Les! Thanks for the input...I may be confused as to which number to divide by which number.

In simple terms: You seem to be dividing with the big number over the little number. So 12/1.375 = 8.727273.

I was dividing the little number over the big number. So 1.375/12 = 0.114583 (which I then converted into a % and scale).

I am not sure which is correct? It seems that with the Top Flite 1/5 scale, the formula works by putting the little number over the big number:

100.5/490 = 0.205102, or about 20%.

I think I may be confusing myself

If anyone knows how best to do this, let me know!

http://www.eagle-rc.com/designrc/lesson1.php
Last edited by 4075aaron; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Here are some pics of the engine clearance for the muffler. I am also including a rough diagram, although it turned out very poorly. I tried to draw it using Word, but I would have had better luck just drawing it out by hand and scanning it.

In the diagram, imagine you are looking at the firewall from the front. The virtical lines on the left represent the engine cylinder/head. The small red circle is where the exhaust comes out. The two purple squares are the engine mounts.

Here are the distances:

A to B: 4 3/4 inches
Line C (from the exhaust to the edge of the firewall): 1 1/4 inches
Line D (from the exhaust to the edge of the firewall): 1 1/2 inches
The center line from the mount to the edge of the firewall: 1 1/2 inches

Ugh...I can't upload Word documents Let me see if I can make it into a PDF...
Last edited by 4075aaron; Feb 07, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:01 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,459 Posts
aaron... WOW not much room there for any kind of muffler have you been able to find any Pitts style muffler that will fit your EVO.52?
The other thing I thought of if it's not to late can you turn the fuel tank side ways?
This is what I did on my Stinson not sure how much room you have there either?
You may have a hard time finding a stock Pitts muffler to fit that EVO.52
where or who did you buy it from?

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Hey Bruce,

I did try to turn the tank on its side as well as trying to fit it perpendicular to the firewall. Nothing worked That is why I had high hopes for a custom sized tank. I could have fit a 3 oz tank in there better, but that would only have given me 2-3 minutes of engine running time (about 30 seconds of safe flying).

I am still hopeful that I can find a muffler that will work. There are several companies out there that make custom sized mufflers and I will turn to them if worse comes to worse.

I bought the engine from HH brand new a few years ago. It came with a regular type of muffler which certainly WON'T fit

I am optimistic that I will find something, but it might take a little time.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:27 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,713 Posts
If nothing else, you could probably get a generic header to move the exhaust away from the fuselage and then fit a muffler to it.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:30 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,459 Posts
aaron.... have you seen these type of tanks? you can mold (shape) to conform to your model.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU61&P=7

I'm not sure if it will help you this late in the game but it's good to know for your next build.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
I had seen those kinds of tanks, but it would not work for what I needed. I mean I could still use one now to make my current tank "shorter", but that would not solve the issue with space RE the muffler.

The original "custom" tank I bult was boxier and fit entirely within the sheeted part of the nose.

I don't think I will have too big of a problem with the horizontal space available in the cowl. Keep in mind the cowl will be farther out from the firewall when finally mounted. The space left available is exactly as much space for a muffler as shown on the plans. It is the space between the rim of the firewall/cowl and exhaust port on the engine that I worry about (in order to not cut the entire cowl up). The muffler will need to be thin and long, but stick out enough to clear the engine mounts but not too much to get in the way of the cowl.

Easy, right?

If worse comes to worse, I can seek help from my uncle. I had forgotten this, but he has a very nice metal working shop (his hobby). When I was telling my dad about the problems I was having with the engine mounts, he told me that my uncle would have been more than happy to cut new ones for me. Amilcar had already sent his mounts so I never bothered asking my uncle to cut me new ones. I am pretty sure he could build me something; he has a lot of experience with glow engines (but with cars).
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
Actually, a quick search on the internet came up with this:

http://www.jtecrc.com/incowlmufflers40-59.htm

Not sure how well they work, but this is one example of dozens I found...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
So...I spoke with a custom muffler company and sent the pics of my build and they think that they can build me a muffler that will fit for about $40! They will make a mock muffler to ensure it works. Until then...I will work on the cabin.

I spent a few hours on the IP. It looks great so far. I hope to be done with it this weekend. I will post pics when I am done. I think you all will be impressed. I am so far!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,713 Posts
You must be counting on the storm to cancel work. I your last post can just a couple hours before I got up.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,444 Posts
LOL! I scheduled to have today off. Needed to drive the wife to the doctors for a bunch of tests.

I hate hospitals.

But I lose track of time when I build. It is not unusual for me to work on it until 4:00 in the morning over the weekends!

I din't think the storm will amount to much here. So far, only some ice and light snow.

Back to the basement!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:37 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,713 Posts
My daughter lives in Portland. They called off work, there, and are bracing for a good one.

You have to feel, for the folks in the Northeast. They have had a rough time of it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Feb 2010
111 Posts
yeah it sucks ,,,snow all over i'll be waching my garage all nigth ,,i don't won't that roof to colapse on top of my pride,,,one good thing a few days of from work maybe a good idea keep building
amilcar is online now Find More Posts by amilcar