HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, PA, Port Allegany
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
Little one in the end made my night seems to be a nice clear setup that you are using
74charger is offline Find More Posts by 74charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:11 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
haha, yeh thats my neph Toby
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:29 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,601 Posts
Because of the weather I have not been able to fly it again.
Any comment on the flying characteristics?
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
The weather here is crap too was hoping you took yours up again been waiting to hear more on the flying characteristics myself. Been hard not to push the buy now button its been in and out of the shopping cart alot. Already have the wheels saved on tower to go with my next order there too.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:04 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
The plane flies very gracefully, but compared to what im used to a brick flies with grace, ive only ever flew 3d planes,

but i could recommend this bird to anybody starting out or experienced. but i got it for fpv and it works perfect

however it did take me some time to get used to its tip stall tendancies when banking, but im used to something that flies as well as it does inverted as it does canopy up.

will get a vid up tomorrow of it flying from the ground if i can get someone to record me.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Saw this in the NitroPlanes email yesterday and it is intriguing. I think it would make a nice night rig.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
A night rig is just what I want one for only waiting to see a few non fpv flight vids first,
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,601 Posts
The bad weather is gone so I had my second and third flight last WE. Also my first crash. Misjudged distance, went into a tree at a good clip. End of flight three. Wings ripped apart and the square box spar ripped out of one wing. Piece of the flap chewed out. Fuse and tail OK. Easy to repair with gorilla and a patch on the flap.
It takes off from the grass and flies well, slow and relaxing. The motor I have is probably overkill so mostly 1/2 to 1/3 power and 50% DR. It climbs under power, maybe a bit too much. It is a pleasure to land with full flaps.
I made one more mod to aleviate the quick pull up in the dive test by inserting a 1/8" shim under the wing trailing edge to correct the IMO too important decalage. This also reduces the climbing under power tendency.
I'll put up some video when ready.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
Sounds like it held up good for the crash that it had. Also sounds like I might go with the kit with the motor. Cant wait to see your video
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:35 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
Ok soz it took a while, dont get much time to do stuff when you sell cars for a living, and have a little one! my wife took a 2 min break from tending to him to take a quick vid of the way this plane flies in a bit of wind, here i am testing flaps.
if you play in hd you can see when flaps are down or up.

Techone Hobby Mercury quick flight (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by n00ber420; Nov 18, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: hd
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
162 Posts
Nice video you could hear the wind and the plane seamed to handle it just fine of course it could of just been the pilot. Either way I am going to have to get one now. You dont get much time when your repairing them either I could use another wrangler got free shipping lol
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
I actually crashed it today too, landing down wind wouldnt stop in time i hit a bench, stripped a flap servo, dented wing but glued and all is well. my phone ran out of sd space before it happened though and that was my best flight :<

heres another random video, nearly hit myself with the plane going super slow with flaps down at 3 mins.
Tech One Mercury FPV 4 (4 min 50 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,601 Posts
Second Crash

Crashed again. Wings folded when pulling out of a moderate dive. This time the left wing square spar box broke and pulled out of the foam at exactly the same place where the right wing box broke when I flew it into a tree. So clearly the box where you slide the spar in to join the wings is not very strong and also not glued-in well enough. The absence of sufficient glue will put all the strain on the plastic which then breaks off.
This may explain why this time the gorilla glued right hand wing spar box suvived intact. I think the repair is stronger than the original structure.
Now I will have both sides reinforced with white gorilla!
Maybe it would be a good idea to do this preventatively but then, to get access, one would need to cut open the foam and pry out the spar box just like both these crashes did.
The prop cut another piece out of the flap when the wing folded back. Easy to repair.
When the wings folded, it landed on its nose from about 20 feet. Some scratches but no real damage. Well built!
The maiden video is still being worked on, sorry
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
270 Posts
I noticed my wing spar box letting up a few flights ago, i now have the wings gorilla taped together semi permanently, it nearly caused a crash mid flight, got real squirrely towards the end of my flight, the wings had nearly taco'd on me, tape and glue baby.

tape and glue.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00ber420 View Post
I noticed my wing spar box letting up a few flights ago, i now have the wings gorilla taped together semi permanently, it nearly caused a crash mid flight, got real squirrely towards the end of my flight, the wings had nearly taco'd on me, tape and glue baby.

tape and glue.
I am afraid we are looking at a real weak point here. The spar box allowed them to get the dihedral. I will see if mine holds up saturated with gorilla glue around each spar box.
Otherwise it is strongly built and a sweet slow flyer. Easy on the rudder though!!!