Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortho10 View Post
Hi Dereck

You must have been based at RAF Locking in Weston Super Mare.
My Dad was involved in decommissioning some of the equipment when the base closed.
Newquay is now the number one destination for Stag Weekends in the UK!

As far as the model goes, youíre absolutely right; Iím not going to be charging the Battery while itís in the model.

Iím leaning towards the idea of making a hatch/making part of the cowl removable, and retaining with magnets. Still have to purchase my motor/Batteries combination so no decision will be made until these are in place.

I have a couple of electric conversions under my belt (see my blog), and I have mounted the motor using the threaded rod/bolt technique. I think this model does deserve a bit more; extending the firewall is probably a bit beyond my skill set though!

Am really enjoying the building so far, thanks for you advice.
Off topic, but yes, it was RAF Locking. Was there for four months in 1971 and a year 72-73. Fond memories include seeing the Rothmans Barnstormers fly four Pitts Specials at 'Newquay International' and meeting scale model writer and designer Gordon Whitehead. First time I saw him, he was flying a 52" Veron Tomtit scale bipe of the parade ground.

Back on topic. A 'firewall' extension need be little more than a plywood box keyed into the slimy firewall - a lot of ready-mades use a similar technique. Your suggestion is probably easier! If you do it right, you might have room under the cowl for the ESC too - good cooling and any weight forwards is good.

You are correct - a model this good, and big, deserves considerable attention. Be a shame to put in a lot of effort and then have a piece of cheap junk ruin it.

Idly thinking again... For my last five years in England, I was lucky enough to be able to get to Old Warden a lot. Their Spitfire Vc back then had the clipped wingtips but, much better, was finished to look like it had just flown back from the European battle front, not a polished museum piece. Wish I'd taken a lot of photos, it was great to see. Would be a fair bit of work on a model, but I'd go that way.

Good luck with your Spitfire.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:06 AM
alberta
Joined Jan 2010
83 Posts
Got to stad all done today and picked up the power 90 for motivation!

I was thinking the same thing about extending the fire wall. I'm a long way off from that just yet just trying to plan ahead.

I was also thinking about a universal mount from great planes I recall seeing in a shop a while ago. It was adjustable in length and may get us the forward position we need. May even help with the CG even more.

Looking forward to checking off some more steps along the way.

Cheers!
jdlfreedom is offline Find More Posts by jdlfreedom
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
jdlfreedom welcome to the thread, please post lots of images of your progress!
Ortho10 is offline Find More Posts by Ortho10
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
alberta
Joined Jan 2010
83 Posts
Not to much to show quite yet. Just working on the rudder next. Its been a pretty fun build so far. Been thinking about saving weight in the tail at every step.

I was reading a build log from a TF corsair and he was able to get a proper CG without adding any dead weight by moving the servo tray and lipo placement during the build.

Also got bored and came across the you tube vid about the germany guy who came up with the Benedini r/c aircraft sound system and he way saying that its weight about 8-16oz and has helped get the C of G right on alot of his warbirds without adding dun dun dun... DEAD WEIGHT lol

I may be getting ahead of myself yet I wanted to have a plan when it comes time to finish and paint the spit....
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:05 PM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
261 Posts
Your first scheme seems to be a griffon powered Spit (Mk XII or XIV) - quite a different shape from the Mk IX the top flite kit portrays. I've never seen a canadian Spit in desert camo though. Your second scheme is a RAAF Mk VIII, same squadron as on the historic pic. Here the rudder shape is somewhat different, and the tailwheel is retractable. And on the Mk VIII and IX the tailplane/elevator split is not quite as in the kit. Not difficult to correct at this stage. Watching with interest, as there is one of these kits in my attic as well...
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:06 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
No harm in dreaming jdl, I love the tail on these later mark spits.
I have seen threads where the guy has done a conversion, will try to find the link.
Last edited by Ortho10; Nov 25, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
Now this is the classic Mk9 Scheme, please no invasion stripes though.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Stick with a real colour scheme. This isn't any old aircraft you're modelling - it's a Spitfire. The one above says it all.

Suspect the Canadian Spitfire in desert camo might be a little bit of imagination and too much late night coffee Could be wrong, further proof is awaited.

Leave putting the wrong colour scheme onto 'scale' models to the Chinese, they have a talent for it If you want to see how good they are at getting it wrong, try this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=chilton

Sorry, can't resist - have a special liking for that registration...

And the really idle thought - I once got to drool over a real IMAA legal model of a Spitfire - all wood, V12 engine out of a Jaguar car and 12" = 1ft scale. It was being assembled in an RAF hangar and we got to look it over. Well shy of overall finished, but one of our long-timers who had worked on 'real' Spitfires in his early RAF days pronounced it matched the originals well in many details. It was finished and eventually flown in the first prototype's all silver finish and a straight sided canopy rather than the usual bulbous look. K5054 was its number.

Often thought that would make a neat model for a change.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:39 AM
alberta
Joined Jan 2010
83 Posts
I have looked pretty hard to find and info on that can spit and I dont think it was ever a real flying spit. Im leaning towards the aussie grey nurse scheme I think. Started the wing ribs tonight.

I took some shots of my planned power set up I will upload tomorrow.

Hows your build going?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
OK your ahead of me now!
A couple of images to show I have done some work
Also my secret weapon in the sanding war, lithium powered, really helps with all the sanding with this kit.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Aliphatic resin applicator
Joined Oct 2012
74 Posts
What time frame do you think this model will be finished in?
329 is offline Find More Posts by 329
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
I havenít even thought about a time scale, some time next year hopefully.
Iím not short of models to fly (or sail), and I really enjoy the build aspect of this hobby. Might have to get a move on now jdl has joined the thread!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:59 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
Ok it's not a Top Flite Spitfire but this thread has some good info for converting your Spit to the Griffon version.
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...p?th=55641&p=1
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 AM
alberta
Joined Jan 2010
83 Posts
Got the some work time on the spitfire today. Really liking this kit building thing! Lots of sanding tho. My little dermal works like a charm. My elbows would be sore without it!

Got some more power system planning done as well.
would love some feedback on the ideas about it.

e flite power 90
great planes extra large motor mount
c.c 100amp esc
6s lipo pac... around 5-6000mah?
16x8 apc prop

thoughts?
P.s Its not a race! lol I just have the winter off and need something to do!
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:45 AM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
set up your cowl area so that the batteries will be as close to the motor as possible: if they are not almost completely inside the cowl area, you will need to add nose weight. Spitfires are notorious for building tail heavy.
Try to set up your build so you do not have to remove the wing to change batteries. Consider adding a hatch to the top of the cowl, just behind the motor, so you can insert the 6S 5000 pack vertically. It should just fit in there.
Good advice from earlier on - sort of prevents the use of the long motor mount though. I'd tend to move the firewall so as to be able to get the batteries further forward as you have it in the first power setup pic.
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer