SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aForcefulThrust View Post
I never liked gemfan, I had one break on me before. I have a set of the RCtimer 10x4.7 SF Carbon and they are very solid, i can even chop down small weeds with them.
Do the rc timers flex? They look nice and I may go with these at only $40 for 8 props.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...9&productname=
morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jun 2012
138 Posts
That's the ones I have on my Y-6, they're solid I'm happy with them. I abuse them too, they've brushed concrete, chopped weeds, still solid.
aForcefulThrust is offline Find More Posts by aForcefulThrust
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Hello guys!
I'm french and new member on your forum, so excuse me for my poor english!

I'm building the TURNIGY HAL HEXACOPTER, i would like to take photos and videos with a GOPRO caméra and gimbal.

Morris.Hans: about your HAL, is it enough power to carry a camera and a big lipo.
your lipo is 3 or 4 cells?

Thanks!
Newtec 42 is offline Find More Posts by Newtec 42
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtec 42 View Post
Hello guys!
I'm french and new member on your forum, so excuse me for my poor english!

I'm building the TURNIGY HAL HEXACOPTER, i would like to take photos and videos with a GOPRO caméra and gimbal.

Morris.Hans: about your HAL, is it enough power to carry a camera and a big lipo.
your lipo is 3 or 4 cells?

Thanks!
Yes. I often carry two cameras and two lipos hooked together.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
OK, with NTM 28/26 A 1200kv and 3S lipo?
The power is really sufficient?
You carry 2 lipos! How much capacity?
Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
OK, with NTM 28/26 A 1200kv and 3S lipo?
The power is really sufficient?
You carry 2 lipos! How much capacity?
Thanks!
Yep, check my photos on the first few pages. I made a jumper to hook two batteries together for longer flight times. I usually fly with 3600+3000mah or 5000+4000mah all 3s. 6 propellers pulling a measily 10amps per prop is still 60 total amps and well over 600watts of power. Some other guys have pics up of two batteries also but I just velcro the two batteries together and then strap them to the bottom. I will have to do a weight test once my carbon fiber props come in.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2013
6 Posts
Thanks!

I see at Hobby-King the NTM prop drive 28/26 1OOOkv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._version_.html
What do you think about it?
It must be run with 4S lipos?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Thanks!

I see at Hobby-King the NTM prop drive 28/26 1OOOkv
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._version_.html
What do you think about it?
It must be run with 4S lipos?
I was using those on a 3s until one burnt up. Then I switched to the 1200kv. Im not really sure why the 1000kv failed.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:51 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Hi all!

I just finished my hex HAL build. Here's some pictures! I dismantled a Y-6 to build this guy. I'm pretty excited to fly it, I can't wait for the rain to stop!!
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
That looks nice Thunderslimer - get up into the air.
Just an update/info: My HAL Hexacopter is flying now. After 2 little crashes everything is stable now (APM 2.5). 27 - 30 A with 3s Lipo for hovering (without camera, only 5 A per motor). Approx. 75 A maximum. Lots of load possible (2 kg min) - exact payload unknown so far. Up to 9 min flight with 6000 mAh (limit!). With D3530/14 1100KV Brushless Motors.
@Morris: I used probably the same props (but from rctimer), no break so far (sweating).
evdb is offline Find More Posts by evdb
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
I just finished building one of these!
calen is offline Find More Posts by calen
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
HAL Hexacopter Night Flight

In a windy night - quite stable.
evdb is offline Find More Posts by evdb
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:39 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
732 Posts
Hello,
how thick should the ESC -> motor wires be?

18AWG = 0,75mm^2 or
16AWG = 1,5mm^2

I am using Roxxy 2827-34 10A 790kv motors .... until now and an 20A ESC.

The three short ESC cables that came already installed use 16AWG. I want to extend them. Hobbyking offers 18AWG but 16AWG is still on back order.

What should I buy?
CyberCrash is offline Find More Posts by CyberCrash
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:05 AM
Giant Scale 3D
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2006
133 Posts
Very nice guys, I will order one within 2 weeks (I already have the quad HAL)
Alexzzz is offline Find More Posts by Alexzzz
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:29 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Ignore me if you wish, but for anyone considering this frame, my advise is to get DJI F450 instead of HAL quad, and DJI F550 instead of the HAL hexa. (quad is same price, the F550 is $20 cheaper than the HAL, plus you can buy them stateside for fast shipping) The HAL is heavy, and uses crappy clamp style boom and motor mounts. It won't survive more than a couple crashes in most cases. (mine didn't) If I could go back in time, I would've gone with the DJI frames. Top notch quality and dirt cheap price. I assumed the DJI frames were expensive when I ordered my HAL. I assumed nothing could beat HK prices. (usually the case for most things)

Not here to offend any happy HAL owners. I was completely happy with mine until it crashed. I was even less happy with it after I realized DJI F450 was same price as HAL, and I could buy from USA vendor. Even less happy when I realized the quality was VERY good, frame was very light, and extremely tough. Replacement parts (stateside!) are dirt cheap too. Lots of aftermarket support. Hard to recommend any other frames for cheap quad/hexa frames from now on.

To each their own, but I'm now an F450/F550 fan for my cheap acro/bashing rig. Cheap, tough, and well designed. Checks all my boxes.

HAL does have some things going for it. It's rigid. No flexing like the DJI's have been accused of. (I can barely make the arms flex, so maybe they upgraded their arms?) HK makes a cheap gimbal specifically for the HAL. It's decently cheap. Comes with a plastic cover to protect the electronics.

Oh yeah, landing gear is absolute garbage. One moderate landing and they're toast.

I need to stop typing before I make some happy HAL owners very angry lol.
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated