HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
I havent heard much about megapirate but I know that ardupilot mega (http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_A...r-apmpwrkt.htm) is one of the best most robust systems out there for programming and autonomous flight. You may want to go join DIYDRONES.com, as it has tons of info for what you want.

Watch for sizes also, the HAL is 775mm and its weight adds to its stability which is why I choose it. Im looking for stable video recording in the wind and it handles strong open Texas winds no sweat. Lighter planes of any type will get tossed around in the wind more easily. Choose your setup wisely and good luck on your projects to come.
morris.hans is offline Find More Posts by morris.hans
Last edited by morris.hans; Jan 17, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: grammar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
You dont put the FC on a bam its ready to go.

Basically nothing DIY works that way, I am well aware of it!

"Building it is only half the battle, for you have to tune it!"

I guess I am going to buy a hex F550 clone (saw one in a RC shop with it) with a bunch of those cheap 1200KV motors. I'll also get an extra small battery and an extra MWC SE controller and tons of propellers. With that, I'm going to use my 3D printed quad frame for practice, as it only takes me about 30 mins to print a few components if I explode it in the wall. It's basically going to cost me less than the Bixler (nice thing though), while allowing me to print the components needed. When I'll feel ready for the big build, I'll have the components in hand.

I have however a strong feeling my wallet will soon hate me for stepping into this hobby...

Bah, anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread. Thank you for your tips and thoughts, It's really helping me having a better view of this hobby. I also wish you good luck on your next project!
LoneNomad is offline Find More Posts by LoneNomad
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
No problem, printing your own sounds like the best way to do it. Please post photos or something when you get it going.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:58 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,417 Posts
Does anyone know if the landing gear for the hex will mount on the quad? Not that HK sell parts yet, but I assume they will at some point

The HAL quad's landing gear is far too weak. I know it has landing "claws" available now but that doesn't help if you want a camera.
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
223 Posts
whats your flight time with this setup? im building one exactly the same components but with APM 2.5 with gps
abriosi is offline Find More Posts by abriosi
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
The hexacoter landing gear is solid once you drill it out a bit for it to even go together.

I use anywhere between 500-800mah per minute. I dont fly wild anymore casue its fully loaded with fpv gear. I will get up some pics and a video today now that I have time! Also i switched to the mystery 12amp escs. They are lighter and are programmable and re-flashable. My kk2 is re-flashed with v1.5 to control camera gimbal on output 7&8 (roll, pitch).
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts

HAL Hexacopter at the Park (3 min 33 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morris.hans View Post
No problem, that was on topic also. My charger came in yesterday and my watt-meter today so I plan to do some testing today and surely we can get some solid numbers on this octo board and overall usage of this multi rotor.

I flew yesterday at night, and my 3000mah didnt last long. My 3600 lasted a little better. Today im making a jumper plug so I can parallel any set of batteries since I think this thing needs 5000mah and up for any decent flight time.
Hello,
I'm new to this and i need some help.
I want to buy this hal hexa frame but can you tell me what is the flying time for yours?
I've bought allready: A3536/9 910kv, 40A opto esc and 11x5 props. I will use it with gopro and i don't know if this frame is good to have a good fly time or not. Or if it's better to buy the talon hexa with extended booms.

Thank you.
onlysli is offline Find More Posts by onlysli
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysli View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this and i need some help.
I want to buy this hal hexa frame but can you tell me what is the flying time for yours?
I've bought allready: A3536/9 910kv, 40A opto esc and 11x5 props. I will use it with gopro and i don't know if this frame is good to have a good fly time or not. Or if it's better to buy the talon hexa with extended booms.

Thank you.
I dont know anything about the talon hexa, the hal is heavy so isnt gonna have best in class flight time. Id imagine carbon fiber being your best bet for long flight time. I use 500-800 mah per minute.
HAL HEXACOPTER CRUISING AT THE PARK (3 min 50 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:50 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2007
9 Posts
Hi there,

here a video of my first flight

Hobbyking H.A.L Hexacopter first flight Gopro 3 Black Edition (6 min 46 sec)

Enjoy

Thomas
4u2fast is offline Find More Posts by 4u2fast
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:55 AM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jun 2012
138 Posts
Very nice work with these frames.. I still have my frame sitting in a box untouched lol. Wondering If I'll ever build it...
aForcefulThrust is offline Find More Posts by aForcefulThrust
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
heey 4u2fast, do you have a picture of your settings and parts? this gimbal is very stable, is it direct or belt driven?
saoc is offline Find More Posts by saoc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:52 PM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2007
9 Posts
Hi saoc,

here we go :-) cheap Align ds415m Servos, direct driven

Thanks
Thomas
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Thomas thats a nice video, where did you buy the mount?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:40 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Nov 2007
9 Posts
Hi,

The mount is selfmade on my cnc router :-)
i can share the drawing for non commercial use !

regards
Thomas