HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,432 Posts
Question
Charging lipos at higher C rates?

Have a ? I have lipos rated at 5C and they are 5000MAH is it ok to lets say charge at 20 amps?
I am thinking the battery won't last as long but I am not sure as they do not even get worm during a 20Amp charge.

So what's the effect ... good or bad to high C charge?

THANKS
reptileman is online now Find More Posts by reptileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:15 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,698 Posts
If they say it will handle 25 A (5C) then it should handle that much rate.

The fact that you see no warming at 20A is a good sign.

There is no evidence, one way or another, AFAIK that says higher C rate charging shortens pack life.

The main reason you can charge at these higher C rates, is back in the "old" days, we didn't balance charge. High rate charging in those conditions could cause serious heating of out of balance cells---the ones that were left in a high charge state. Also is why the manufacturers tended to use balanced cells in those packs.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142882

a 3S 2250 charged at 11A and discharged at 40A for 300 cycles.

That would be 5C charges and 17.8 C discharges.

FWIW I am still using that LiPoly and it is currently being flown in my Blade 400 and Blade 450 helis.Total of 326 cycles seven in the past month.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,202 Posts
Hi reptileman,

Usually it is in instructions with a LiPo battery how many amp it can be charged with. 1C (5 amp in your case) works for almost all LiPo I know of. 2C (10 amp in Your case) is probably safe to use on most LiPo today. Higher then that I would try to find out from manufacturer website or from good source how many amp is safe to use on that brand and model of LiPo. For example ThunderPower G6 LiPo can be charged with as much as 12C (with ThunderPower recommended chargers). Many LiPo's today can be charged with up to 5C but I would check the specifik brand and model of LiPo You have before any atempt at these higher (above 2C) charge rates. If they say it is OK to charge with 5C in Your case then You can pump in 25 amp ( 5 x 5000 mA) while charging if You want.
Probably most mid quality LiPo today can be charged at 5C.
I usually charge at 2C since I'm not in that much hurry when charging.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Oct 18, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Probably most mid quality LiPo today can be charged at 5C.
I'll chime in that yes that's true, except for smaller batteries. A lot of 1000mah or smaller, especially the under 500mah I still often see with 3C ratings. However the Nanotech 3S 45C 1300mah batteries I just got claim 10C charge rate!
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
Have a ? I have lipos rated at 5C and they are 5000MAH is it ok to lets say charge at 20 amps?
I am thinking the battery won't last as long but I am not sure as they do not even get worm during a 20Amp charge.

So what's the effect ... good or bad to high C charge?

THANKS
I charge at high rate all the time and have not noticed any decrease in battery life. The newer generation of LiPo batteries are designed for faster charge. LiPo technology just keeps getting better and better.

The only disadvantage is that you need a high powered charger and power supply. I just got a Turnigy 1080W 60A 18V power supply to use with my Power Lab 8 V2 so I can charge my large packs faster.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,432 Posts
Thanks for the input guy's
I am using a hi tech 2 port X 400watt charger
My packs are the gens ace that say 5C capable now i have older lipos they say 1C should i just use 1C on these or is 2C fine?

Thanks
reptileman is online now Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman View Post
i have older lipos they say 1C should i just use 1C on these or is 2C fine?
I have older "1C" lipos also and they get charged at 3C. I like flying more than I like waiting for my batteries to charge.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards