SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:32 AM
england newcastle
Joined Aug 2009
215 Posts
Question
Rc Boat motor and esc

Hi guys just after some info Ive been an aero modeller for about 5 year now and done a couple of scratch builds and just recentley decided i want to get into boats due to not getting out much with the distance i have to travel etc

Ive just ordered the Orca plans of Pat trittle and trying to get my head around the power system to be used

Ive got loads of spare motors and esc of my planes (the exact ones) and just want to ask if i could get away with using them in a boat my system sofar consists of

Jr propo pcm9x tx with frsky 2.4ghz module (of my planes)

2x 3s 5000mah 20c lipos

A2217-6T 1500kv 250watt motor which is a replacement for a 400/480 size motor

Motor Specs:

* Type: A2217-6
* No. Of cells: 2-3S LiPo/8-10 Ni-xx
* RPM/V: 1500KV
* Max. efficiency: 79 percent
* No load current @10 V: 1.0A
* Working current: 22-26A
* Max Current capacity: 28A (60 seconds)
* Dimensions: D28 x L35mm
* Shaft diameter: 4mm
* Weight: 72g/2.51oz

30 amp esc

Specification:
* Class: Brushless
* Model: 30A Pro
* Application: Aircraft
* Constant Current: 30A
* Burst Current: 40A (for 10 seconds)
* BEC Mode: Linear
* BEC Output: 5V/2A
* BEC Output Capability:
on 2S LiPo - RX + 5 standard micro servos,
on 3S LiPo - RX + 4 standard micro servos,
on 4S LiPo - RX + 3 standard micro servos
* Battery Cell Count / Input Voltage: 2-4S (7.4V - 14.8V) LiPo or 5-12 (6V - 14.4V) NiMH
* Weight: 25.8g
* Dimensions L*W*H mm: 55 x 25 x 9mm

any info and assitance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Les
drifter_uk is offline Find More Posts by drifter_uk
Last edited by drifter_uk; Oct 29, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:35 AM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,123 Posts
Drifter,

Like you I use brushless motors in planes but not boats. My observation is that a lower KV would be helpfull. I'm sure that with a little experimentation you will find a prop that works.

I did once try to use and aircraft ESC in a boat and I was finding that the low voltage cut out was coming in far too early. An airplane will always come down, a boat stuck in the middle of a pond can be more tricky to recover.

In my experience boats need ballast as can be found in Nimh or in larger boats Pb gell cells. These type of batteries do not need the LV cut off that you ESC is probably programmed for.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:12 PM
england newcastle
Joined Aug 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post
Drifter,

Like you I use brushless motors in planes but not boats. My observation is that a lower KV would be helpfull. I'm sure that with a little experimentation you will find a prop that works.

I did once try to use and aircraft ESC in a boat and I was finding that the low voltage cut out was coming in far too early. An airplane will always come down, a boat stuck in the middle of a pond can be more tricky to recover.

In my experience boats need ballast as can be found in Nimh or in larger boats Pb gell cells. These type of batteries do not need the LV cut off that you ESC is probably programmed for.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Hi rob thats great to know i could get away with using both motor and esc in a boat and as for the Lv cutoff thats easily solved by using a lipo alarm only a couple of quid or turn of the Lv cutoff on the esc and run nihm

Thanks Les
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,627 Posts
A 30 mm prop and run on 2s would be fine for the motor you listed, if you want to run 3s use a gear reduction, ive used a Maxx 400 sized box with sucess in the past, they come with three pinions to give 2:1 2.5:1 and 3:1 ratios approx.
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
england newcastle
Joined Aug 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
A 30 mm prop and run on 2s would be fine for the motor you listed, if you want to run 3s use a gear reduction, ive used a Maxx 400 sized box with sucess in the past, they come with three pinions to give 2:1 2.5:1 and 3:1 ratios approx.
Nick
That's spot on nick I've got an adjustable tx so can set throttle/rate of travel to where I want it so even on 3s it should be alright with tweaking

Thanks Les