United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
Discussion
54.5 MPG cars

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/08/2...ciency-to.html

I'm not exactly trying to make this a political thread per se, but I wonder
how Obama thinks the auto manufacturers can double car MPG to 54.5
in 13 years just because the law now says so.

It seems to me that if this were possible, auto manmufacturers would have
already produced a model like this, and corner the market with it.

With internal combustion engines being around over 100 years, and no significant progress made on MPG, what makes anyone think its possible now?

I do understand there are 50 or so gasloline powered cars in other countries that get 50 mpg + but wont pass our emmision standards.

I cannot find this anywhere, but surely there is a penalty to auto makers if they fail to achieve this new fuel mileage standard, could this either by design, or by accident simply turn out to be a new tax on motorists?
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
I get 19 mpg, If I doubled that I'd just drive 2x as far in a year. If Gas doubles again with 4 more years of Obama then I'll be walking... so mpg really won't matter.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
It might be possible to do but there will have to be a bunch of tiny super high mileage cars to make up for the average size cars people really want to buy. I guess if you throw in some fuzzy math like happens with electric cars its easily doable. I mean the volt gets infinite mileage according to some.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/08/2...ciency-to.html

I'm not exactly trying to make this a political thread per se, but I wonder
how Obama thinks the auto manufacturers can double car MPG to 54.5
in 13 years just because the law now says so.

It seems to me that if this were possible, auto manmufacturers would have
already produced a model like this, and corner the market with it.

With internal combustion engines being around over 100 years, and no significant progress made on MPG, what makes anyone think its possible now?

I do understand there are 50 or so gasloline powered cars in other countries that get 50 mpg + but wont pass our emmision standards.

I cannot find this anywhere, but surely there is a penalty to auto makers if they fail to achieve this new fuel mileage standard, could this either by design, or by accident simply turn out to be a new tax on motorists?
It is wonderful that you are asking these questions and you are correct that it won't work. Cars that get 50mpg plus can be built, BUT, can they meet the crash standards? Can normal size people fit in them? Will they be reliable? Most important of all, can they be built for a cost that will allow a profit from a price that consumers are willing/able to pay.

What I see happening is that many car companies will become like Duesenberg, that grand old company that has'nt made cars in 80 years, but still makes parts for the cars they made 80 years ago.

If the market is there, most cars and virtually all true light trucks (true meaning a real chasis, non monocoque) can be rebuilt almost infinitely. I can see companies ramping down production in favor of making parts to keep old vehicles functional.

I think an early 70's pickup truck or VW bus is in my future.
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
448 Posts
Best car we have in our stable gets around 28mpg. To think the mileage is going to magically double on US vehicles... an Obama fantasy.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
417 Posts
I would not want to have my family in a car that got 50MPH when a 2006 TAHOE T-bones it after running a red light. It will be difficult to make a car get that kind of MPH and still be safe.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
"Energy costs will necessarily skyrocket" is his main accomplishment and a promise he was all too willing to keep. Things would be so much better now if he had realized instead that affordable energy is what will keep the economy healthy. With a truly healthy economy, increasing fuel economy wouldnt kick as many people to the curb. Another one of his great ideas was to prevent boom followed by bust. He's accomplished that one, an economy that doesnt grow has already gone bust. Yup, no boom no bust - Zombinomics.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:05 AM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
417 Posts
I was going to avoid the politics of this issue but with a president like Obama and his "father's dream" agenda working against America it's difficult.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
That should a mandatory debate question for any candidate: Did your father have a dream for America and do you intend to make us all live it?
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, FL, North Palm Beach
Joined Jul 2004
102 Posts
The wife and I test drove a Ford C-Max hybrid last weekend. It is supposed to get 47 mph city/hwy. It is bigger and has more room than my old 2002 Mazda Protege 5. It was a fairly quiet, smooth ride and it is much easier to ingress/egress than the Mazda P5. I can't attest to the stated mpg as I did not get enough time in it.

American made, not part of Government Motors, and for under 24K I was very impressed. This car is on my short list for sure.
lordsirob is offline Find More Posts by lordsirob
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Good grief - 2 litre (liter...) Diesels with 135 BHP on tap in medium sized cars are getting a regular 60 mpg in Europe now - I'm not talking 'toy' cars either - VW golfs etc
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Good grief - 2 litre (liter...) Diesels with 135 BHP on tap in medium sized cars are getting a regular 60 mpg in Europe now - I'm not talking 'toy' cars either - VW golfs etc
Diesel is a swear word in the US. If we did have way more diesel cars it would improve average mileage A LOT.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Why didn't Obama make it 100 mpg and force everyone to buy electric cars (think of the GM jobs!) or, Cuba-like, drive old beaters forever?

I do love these USSR-like Five Year Plans. If only reality was so simple.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Diesel is a swear word in the US. If we did have way more diesel cars it would improve average mileage A LOT.
Have a look at the petrol ones on this...

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/stats.shtml
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
If I were looking for a new family car I would probably consider a VW TDI of some sort but I'm not in the market and wont be for awhile. I have no car payments right now and its going to stay that way as long as possible. My truck is a 5.9 liter cummins diesel.