HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
265 Posts
Question
Tower Super Chipmunk 400 EP build

Received my Carl Goldburg classic Chipmunk 400 Ep ARF by Great Planes from Tower yesterday.

I admit I didn't research the manual, just ASSumed any of my salavaged 400-450 motors would fit under the cowl. I'm old enough to know about assuming.

Before I modify or replace the firewall motor mount. Does anyone know of a CHEAP 400 sized motor with 3 corner (29mm spacing) adapter mounting?
oldsamer is offline Find More Posts by oldsamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
This is obviously the motor they intend you to use: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWT6&P=0

I assume you already know this though since you have the kit right in front of you.

It's a little pricy, but I don't know if any others have the 3 hole mount like that... I purchased three of these motors back when they were considered a bargain... good motors for what it's worth.

Maybe you could buy the backplate seperately and modify a motor to mount to it?
This is the backplate: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLXV2&P=0
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Last edited by ChillPhatCat; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
265 Posts
Thanks ChillPhatCat
I was hopeing for a cheaper knockoff.
My resistance to buying yet another motor is the 6 or 7 motors I already have in the junk box.
Although I could replace the wooden motor box, then I'd have a unique fuse not easily replaceable. If I can't find a cheaper alternative before the end of the month, I'll probibly spring for the $50 rimfire.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
502 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on groups that someone has an adapter to allow you to uses a Headsup motors instead of the Rimfire.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
http://www.gravesrc.com/Hobbico_Moto...p/hcaa3841.htm

Not saying this will work, but the solution will look like this. Still googling.

Can't you laminate some balsa behind the firewall? Then drill and install some blind nuts. Balsa would keep it light and the ply in front would provide the strength.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
265 Posts
Onewire,
Yep, something like that.
Need to move my on-hand motor back about 1/8" to clear the cowl.
so cut out the exististing firewall to recess the X adapter.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
So I walk in and the wife ask me why I look so happy and I say "I just tore the fire wall off my plane". "So, why are you smiling?" she asked, and I told her that now I have some thing to do that I enjoy more than flying, building, fixin. zeezee/dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
265 Posts
Yes we can.. make it better. or use a $15 motor out of the salvage box
Last edited by oldsamer; Oct 25, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: finished motor install