HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,089 Posts
I don't like to interject into Scruffys thread but it might help for any bipe. After the bottom wing is attached, I stick a straight pin in the centre of the leading and trailing edge of of both wings. Then while the glue for the upper wing is still soft, measure the distance from the leading edges of both wings, say 7 ins., Measure the distance of the trailing edges, and they should also be 7 ins. As long as the distances are the same, your good to go. There are other methods but this is what I do. Hope this helps
Forgot to mention, with staggered wings, prop the back of the fuse up on the table so the pins on the bottom wing measure the same distance from the table.

Gord
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:32 AM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
i have read that several times now gord, and i haven't got a clue what it means

but feel free to contribute to the thread - you may have helped someone with that information but sadly that someone isn't me
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Hi guys, Gord, thank you for your effort but i am also not sure what you mean unless its making the top wing level with the bottom. I may of explained myself poorly but i was after the amount of stagger the top wing has and i thought the distance from the front of fuse to front of top wing would give me those distances.
Anyway its all sorted now. I also sourced some quality balsa from lhs, same thickness as original but much stiffer and replaced struts and bc. Scruffy, thanks for the offer of the tissue, the lhs had it for $20 for one metre but the stiffer balsa seemed a better deal.
With a turnigy Nanotech 3s 1400mah battery way foward i am still going to have to add a reasonable amount of weight to get the cg around the 10mm mark. Have you found this as well Scruffy?
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
Anyway its all sorted now. I also sourced some quality balsa from lhs, same thickness as original but much stiffer and replaced struts and bc. Scruffy, thanks for the offer of the tissue, the lhs had it for $20 for one metre but the stiffer balsa seemed a better deal.
that's quite a markup from $8.99 although the convenience of the lhs is priceless
a square metre is enough for a very very very long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
With a turnigy Nanotech 3s 1400mah battery way foward i am still going to have to add a reasonable amount of weight to get the cg around the 10mm mark. Have you found this as well Scruffy?
dunno if it's the clever addition of the heavier wheels i used, but my battery seems in the right spot as per the photo, and i am using a 1300mah turnigy 1.3 which in itself weighs only 115gm - i am going to recheck that, but i am not sure how accurate my fingers are as a fulcrum

my all up weight so far, excluding the aileron rods and horns, plus the linkages to the upper aileron was ~470gm

how much is your one in at ?
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:29 PM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,089 Posts
Yep, my fault. I thought it was the incidence angles you were looking for. Sorry about that. I'll zip my lip.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:46 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
You have got me there Scruffy. All up ready to fly with only THREE servos i am at 510g god knows how it got up there, its very stock aprt from balsa
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
You have got me there Scruffy. All up ready to fly with only THREE servos i am at 510g god knows how it got up there, its very stock aprt from balsa
i'll recheck my weight tomorrow arvo, but that sounds weird

did you use the supplied fibreglass rods ? there's about 10gms extra there all up versus my carbon fibre replacements - and where are your cross braces ?? you need them for sure for rigidity !

how heavy were your esc and battery each ?


looks good though tell me how it flies; i'll get there eventually ... see you up there
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
I discovered i was one fibreglass rod short in the box. I can get one tomorrow at the lhs so i didn't fit the other side tonight. Whats the plan, you just cut them to fit?
I had also ordered a HK combat and soaring flying wing ($20!!!)which came yesterday,apart from electrics i finished building it tonight so if the wind ever dies down it should be a fun double maiden
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
I discovered i was one fibreglass rod short in the box. I can get one tomorrow at the lhs so i didn't fit the other side tonight. Whats the plan, you just cut them to fit?
I had also ordered a HK combat and soaring flying wing ($20!!!)which came yesterday,apart from electrics i finished building it tonight so if the wind ever dies down it should be a fun double maiden
yep - follow the book i guess for the rods

if the wing is as good as the bonsai you'll be really happy with it
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
yep - follow the book i guess for the rods


Hang on, can i have the old obsessive compulsive Scruffy back please!

Gee mate dont go soft on me now. The book says fit stays as per this fuzzy blurry photo and glue. Did you push the stays 5mm or so into the foam, glue and then glue at the join when the angles were right?
On the weight issue, if i strap two 1000mah packs just behind the motor mount the cg is pretty close to right. Its starting to get a bit heavy tho.... Having said that it is more than happy to go vertical while holding it, so the power is there
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:24 AM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
yep - follow the book i guess for the rods

Hang on, can i have the old obsessive compulsive Scruffy back please!

Gee mate dont go soft on me now. The book says fit stays as per this fuzzy blurry photo and glue. Did you push the stays 5mm or so into the foam, glue and then glue at the join when the angles were right?
i might use carbon... but i like your idea - jam 'em into the fuselage and wing with as much "spare" poked in as i can get to go with some flex in the manipulation; probably have to guesstimate and trim first

then jig it all up perfectly (which my struts should already have largely achieved)

then hit it with some cyanoacrylate; it might be good to bind the X of the rods with something reliable too


Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
On the weight issue, if i strap two 1000mah packs just behind the motor mount the cg is pretty close to right. Its starting to get a bit heavy tho.... Having said that it is more than happy to go vertical while holding it, so the power is there
if it has that much grunt then 1300mah will last for plenty long for my concentration span per flight
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:17 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Right.....finished. With both batteries.........590g
Plus some decent wheels and the bracing is one size up as well
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:22 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
This is not letting me upload more than one pic at a time.
Batteries held on with velcro and rubber band
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:04 AM
looking up down under
scruffy1's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,158 Posts
them's serious old school wheels, like i used to have on my control-line 2.5cc plane

beat me to the finish of the project, but i'll get there by and by
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:23 AM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
33years ago i used to fly control line at a club on the Central Coast of NSW, you bought back some memories by saying that
I dont have a y harness for the batteries, ill have to make a Pitt (sic) stop to swap them over. I have only been back in the hobby six months and have very little idea what i am doing. Im going to take the pitts, and the wing, around to an old hand at this before any maiden. Ill let you know how it turns out
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Biplane PITTS-EPP from Hobbyking derfnam01 Electric Plane Talk 4 Oct 21, 2012 06:42 AM
Video Pitts-EPP from Hobbyking - some little aerobatics with this nice biplane derfnam01 Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 13, 2012 08:32 AM
Sold HobbyKing Pitts EPP w/Motor NIB sgomes Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 21, 2012 08:38 AM
For Sale HobbyKing Pitts EPP Kit - Plus extras $110, conus sgomes Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 10, 2012 10:06 PM
For Sale Hobbyking Pitts EPP listed below sgomes Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 06, 2012 09:24 PM