HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:48 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandepoel View Post
hey,

did today my maiden and got a flight time of 12min fully loaded.
i have to say that i made a mistake in the begining by setting my voltage alarm to high, it was on 22.7 volt -0.7 = 22v and that was my reason i only got 4min of flighttime at first.

now i set it on 20.7-7 = 20 for the led and 20-0.7 for landing and it works great.

now im trying to solve the vibration problem.
im using a panasonic tz30 camera, put it on a rubber strip, place this on the plate and use a rubber damped screw on the bottom.

i cannot tell if the problem is realy to much vibration or the camera stabilizer is causing the problem. next week i going to test it with the horyzonhd to see if the problem stays.

chrs
Thanks Chrs,

Well I think my 6-7minutes flight with a 4s 4000mah is the normal flight time for Glyder then. This thing is huge and when it powers up, very ferocious! I don't like it - except the camera gimbal, but still I have not tested to it's full potential as of yet.

Horyzon HD testing jello? Why not find something square-ish like the gopro instead? Me and my friends had a lot of trouble getting rid of jello using Horyzon before.. however when we plug Gopro - no more jello. I think it's got to do with the curved case design.
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
France
Joined May 2009
199 Posts
@Milouze,

I compared the RCtimer 5010-14 360KV and the turnigy 4225-390Kv

For that I used ecalc

Assumptions :
I choosed of weight frame of 1800 kg without drive (ie battery esc , motor, prop)
This correspond of 1600 kg of frame weight only + 200g FC+ Rx receiver + wiring

The results are the following

1)For The RCTimer motor, 4S battery and 15" prop is not sufficient
Ecalc shows that a 5S 6000 mah and a 16" prop is needed
Max time HOVER of 15.88 min
Add payload before 80% throttle for hover 193g

2)For the turnigy multistar
Ecalc shows that a 4S 6000 mah and a 15" prop is needed
Max time HOVER of 14.38 min
Add payload before 80% throttle for hover 563g

The Turnigy 4225-390Kv seems to be a better choice
It is only 6$ more than the 5010-14 360KV

ecalc spreadsheets

For rctimer 5010-14 360KV

For turnigy 4225-390Kv

tshado is online now Find More Posts by tshado
Last edited by tshado; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:09 PM
geekrawker
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
Thanks Chrs,

Well I think my 6-7minutes flight with a 4s 4000mah is the normal flight time for Glyder then.
I run 2x 2650 4s in parallel on mine and average about 8 minutes, but i cut it off at 7 given my battery woes. Hover is about 80% stick position. Its why i'm ordering the disc motor version and moving to 6s. i want to ease the battery stress and get hover back down to about 50-65%. it fly's fine at 80%, but i go easy... no fast movements or fast decent, i just don't have the overhead power to get wild with it. But i'm using it specifically for HD video for my local production industry, no need to go blazing around with it.

I actually like the parallel setup for balancing the steadicam. You can get it "pretty close" then tap the top pack around a little to get the balance "perfect". That and i fly a crazy amount of airplanes on 4s 2650 packs. The battery order i just made a week ago is for 8x 4s 2650 50c rated and 4x 6s 4000mah 50c rated. no more battery woes for my glyder as of next week!
geekrawker is offline Find More Posts by geekrawker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCAP - Spring 2014 Aerial Reel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:35 PM
France
Joined May 2009
199 Posts
Hi Milouze ,Geekrawker and all,

I just added the two ecalc figures for the two different motors we discussed with Milouse.
They correspond to two different "pancake motors"
Please let me know, if you have any comments or suggestions.

Regards,JC
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:36 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
@Tshado, this shows that the multistar is a better choice; I didn't use eCalc, I didn't find all the specs needed to run it for the 5010 on the rctimer site. I just saw on another thread here in rcg a guy who achieved 40 min flight with an hexa, 15" props and two 4s 6000 batts; of course his setup was lighter!
I've ordered a bunch of them a few days ago, as I wanted to try two of them to test rewinding for a brushless driven gimbal.
I've been hovering some days ago on the HK website motor pages to check those multistar, they were again on backorder, so I've given up on them Lucky you are they are back in stock.
milouze is offline Find More Posts by milouze
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:48 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
@Geekrawker thanx for your reply about the editing softwares. I've tried vegas recently, and based on your answer I think I'll stick with this one (the way it looks is very similar to audio editing softs, which I use everyday, so I'm kinda already used to it!). I was interested in Final cut, but don't own a mac.
milouze is offline Find More Posts by milouze
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:03 PM
France
Joined May 2009
199 Posts
@Milouze,
I got even a better result with a 15x7.5 Carbon props (sold by RCtimer)
It increase thrust a lot !
So hover is now at 48% throtlle (was 68% with a 15x4.5)
Add payload is up to 1698g (was 463g before)

I need now to look for a good ESC which can handle this motor and its 16 poles!!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
Joined Feb 2013
75 Posts
Question, is it possible to adjust the steadycam springs.
I have the intention that they are to soft and therefore transfering vibrations to the camera?
One sugetion was use heavier equipement wich helped for geekcrawler but i dont want to make my setup heavyer and instead tighten those springs to create the same effect ...
Vandepoel is offline Find More Posts by Vandepoel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
AKA 3DJIM
Bournemouth Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
439 Posts
Hi all,

Managed to get out with the Glyder 600 today at last for some much needed testing and FPV!! No rain, no wind, and a glimmer of sun!. Small amount of jello as I just strapped the gopro black onto the gimbal with a velcro strap as I didnt want to fly the NEX5R on it today.

Happy with the results so far, need to do so further small adjustments to the springs to help keep it level but on the whole its great

Jim

FOXTECH GLYDER 600 FPV (7 min 10 sec)
Tetley is offline Find More Posts by Tetley
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:24 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekrawker View Post
I run 2x 2650 4s in parallel on mine and average about 8 minutes, but i cut it off at 7 given my battery woes. Hover is about 80% stick position. Its why i'm ordering the disc motor version and moving to 6s. i want to ease the battery stress and get hover back down to about 50-65%. it fly's fine at 80%, but i go easy... no fast movements or fast decent, i just don't have the overhead power to get wild with it. But i'm using it specifically for HD video for my local production industry, no need to go blazing around with it.

I actually like the parallel setup for balancing the steadicam. You can get it "pretty close" then tap the top pack around a little to get the balance "perfect". That and i fly a crazy amount of airplanes on 4s 2650 packs. The battery order i just made a week ago is for 8x 4s 2650 50c rated and 4x 6s 4000mah 50c rated. no more battery woes for my glyder as of next week!
Hi geekrawker,

Yes I saw your videos, awesome.
I too got it to hover at around 80% throttle.. first time going into GPS lock mode and got it to hover with centered stick (50% throttle) then my heart nearly fell off as I switched it to manual mode and saw the Glyder falling like a heavy brick (it is a heavy brick)

Took some time to get it up again - I feel it's underpowered with the stock motors that's equipped. Having more power will make me feel safer.

We too are using this frame to capture some steady HD videos. But not as 'professional' as you of course

Now I need to get more lipos for longer flight time... this thing is really heavy.

milouze: Ha.. I'm going after that setup as well. Maybe if equipped with a good gimbal the flight time will shorten a bit because of the weight - but a 40minutes setup sounds real good to me for a start!
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:33 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
I don't think 6s pancake motors will give you more power since Glyder 600 is limited to spin 12". I would suggest 4s motors around 690kv capable of spinning 12" along with a battery 5-8A... I am getting my Ys x4 on monday hopefully i ll finally fly my glyder as well and join back on the feedback and support of this thread... it's been 4 months since i got it and everything was working against me so far. Cameras breaking, naza acting strange resulting to crashes... I thought geekrawker was holding the scepter of bad luck but i surely took it away from him

I also looked into an x8 configuration but i think it will be a challenge getting 10-12k mAh on the air and stabilise the gimbal at the same time... plus an x8 will give a a power close to a hexacopter from what i have read around the forums but it will sure give more failsafe options.
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:45 AM
Cyprus, Limassol
Joined Feb 2008
1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetley View Post
Hi all,

Managed to get out with the Glyder 600 today at last for some much needed testing and FPV!! No rain, no wind, and a glimmer of sun!. Small amount of jello as I just strapped the gopro black onto the gimbal with a velcro strap as I didnt want to fly the NEX5R on it today.

Happy with the results so far, need to do so further small adjustments to the springs to help keep it level but on the whole its great

Jim

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUYq8OSd0Y
Thanks for sharing this is amazing... Not so much jello by the way very nice movements and good footage. Nice area to film as well...
panos2408 is offline Find More Posts by panos2408
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:51 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Jim

ha, thought i recognised that hotel.. drove past it last night on my way to lymington. :P
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:12 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,731 Posts
Quote:
Hi all,

Jim

very smooth , very nice view.
I will post some of my videos later
glassfox is offline Find More Posts by glassfox
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Foxtech 2014 Christmas Video
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
AKA 3DJIM
Bournemouth Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2004
439 Posts