HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:09 AM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandepoel View Post
Will keep you up to date, hope to have my maiden next week ...
Hopefully maiden is good

Fu, I sent you an email about landing gear screw and also my undelivered Naza.
Drop me a line once you are back from your new year party ok.
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:08 AM
geekrawker
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Mantis VS Glyder

FU, sent ya a PM last night regarding the new Discus version of the Glyder and some questions about the new Octa Mantis you guys are selling. Shoot me a message back when you get a chance, i want to pull the trigger on a few items by next week.

Thanks Buddy! Loving the 600... had a great interview with the local TV station, you guys can view the vids on my site here... http://arkansasaerials.com/PRESS.html

Yes, i hit low power again. I have 1k in batteries in the mail... i'm trashing these old packs! no major damage, just bent gear again. Thats 2x for me now with bad batteries. Cant wait for the new ones to show up! it was reasonably windy the day of the interview, we were registering about 20mph... so you can see what the stability is like with the overhead shot of the news talent. I was holding that pattern with NO GPS... so you can see how my build holds up in the swirling wind with manual inputs. I'll be ordering a GPS unit with my next purchase.
geekrawker is offline Find More Posts by geekrawker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCAP - Spring 2014 Aerial Reel
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:51 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
Hey, nice interview And some serious fellas that you got in that club
wow, you did it with the 18-55 lens!
Sure that the gps (and, in another way, the compass) will kinda help to relax and take time to adjust the shooting.
Cheers
milouze is offline Find More Posts by milouze
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:27 PM
geekrawker
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milouze View Post
Hey, nice interview And some serious fellas that you got in that club
wow, you did it with the 18-55 lens!
Sure that the gps (and, in another way, the compass) will kinda help to relax and take time to adjust the shooting.
Cheers
lol thanks! Were no lazy club thats for sure... we have a blast out there. I got the anchors husband sucked into it 4 months back and they wanted to do a story. They are neighbors of mine and always see me flying the small stuff in the front yard. I finally got him hooked after he saw me flying a quad wearing a halloween costume.

I don't think the station knows how to work with the DSLR footage however... when you compare what they pulled, to say my snow video, you can tell they had trouble with the post production work flow.

I like the look of the 18-55 albeit complex to balance and way heavy, it looks nice with the right post work. Since i haven't heard from FU about the Mantis yet.. i think i'll just pickup another 600 but try the discus version this time for better loading, and yes... adding that gps to my other one so i don't have to hand steady it if the news wants to do more shots like that. Going to have a couple of these on hand incase i decided to fly my new batteries to LVC and blow up more landing gear. I had forgot my glasses that day too so i kept it pretty low and close to see it, glad it wasn't up a good 250ft when LVC hit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:45 PM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekrawker View Post

I don't think the station knows how to work with the DSLR footage however... when you compare what they pulled, to say my snow video, you can tell they had trouble with the post production work flow.
Well, I thought the contrary, watching the vid... When I understood that it was the nex, I told to myself "yeah, it inserts well in the overall footage"; given I watched it with a not so great youtube quality (at 360), it helped a lot of course. And also you know how the original footage look like!
Cool thing anyway, I'm happy to see you could achieve some good results with that system, and yeah! Some fresh batts will help lolz!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:53 AM
geekrawker
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Well, I thought the contrary, watching the vid... When I understood that it was the nex, I told to myself "yeah, it inserts well in the overall footage"
I agree, the nex does a good job matching up with pro cameras. on the broadcast HD though, you could spot the Interlacing from my N model. I normally roll this back to progressive before editing, or work all in interlacing then kick out to progressive. I'll try a nex 7 with progressive on the next system unless i go for broke and test out the giant mantis frame. I could haul my HPX170 under the octa mantis for some nice pro level footage. I really love the steadicam feel though to the glyder though. so torn!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:06 AM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
And, why not capturing video directly in progressive? That's a thing the 5N can easily do..
Oh, I've heard that the firmware is different, between countries like US and european ones; but as far as I remember, the advantage goes to US, where the firmware lets you capture in 60p, and I, with the actual firmware, am able to capture up to 50p (only ) quality (I wish I could have 60p!)
By the way, what editing software do you usually use?

I've ordered some cf tubes to make the glyder a bit larger and longer, this way I'll be able to swing some 15"props, and then have longer flight times.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:31 AM
France
Joined May 2009
196 Posts
Quote:
I've ordered some cf tubes to make the glyder a bit larger and longer, this way I'll be able to swing some 15"props, and then have longer flight times.
Bonjour Monsieur Milouze ;-) ,

I had exactly the same idea about increasing the motor to motor distance to increase flight time.
I was planning to use a "pancake motor" like
Turnigy Multistar 4225-390Kv
or
Turnigy Multistar 4822-390Kv

Are you using a similar kind of motor ?

It seems it's quite difficult to find a proper ESC handling the 16 or 22 poles of these pancakes motors...
Do you know which ones are know as working correctly with them ?

Merci beaucoup !
tshado is online now Find More Posts by tshado
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
Registerer Used
Paris
Joined May 2010
715 Posts
Hello Tshado
Yes, I plan to use some pancakes motors, the ones from rctimer precisely (5010, they seem to be known to work okay with 15" even on 4s, and checking the price, I thought I would give them a try). Also, they have less poles than the multistar ones, so maybe there will be more ESC compatibility. In fact, I didn't thought about that aspect, I will have to dig more into this subject. Voilą voilą
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
Please post your flight time with those lipos on Glyder 600. I am keen to know how many minutes you get. Thanks.
hey,

did today my maiden and got a flight time of 12min fully loaded.
i have to say that i made a mistake in the begining by setting my voltage alarm to high, it was on 22.7 volt -0.7 = 22v and that was my reason i only got 4min of flighttime at first.

now i set it on 20.7-7 = 20 for the led and 20-0.7 for landing and it works great.

now im trying to solve the vibration problem.
im using a panasonic tz30 camera, put it on a rubber strip, place this on the plate and use a rubber damped screw on the bottom.

i cannot tell if the problem is realy to much vibration or the camera stabilizer is causing the problem. next week i going to test it with the horyzonhd to see if the problem stays.

chrs
Vandepoel is offline Find More Posts by Vandepoel
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
France
Joined May 2009
196 Posts
Hey VAndepoel,

Nice result !!

Can I please ask you some info about your config :
1)What is the total weight of the glyder ( all included) ?
2)What is the weight of your panasonic tz30 camera ?
3)To balance your camera with the 6S 5000mah Lipo , did you use the small carbon tube for the battery tray ?

Many thanks
tshado is online now Find More Posts by tshado
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:13 PM
geekrawker
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
And, why not capturing video directly in progressive? That's a thing the 5N can easily do..
Oh, I've heard that the firmware is different, between countries like US and european ones; but as far as I remember, the advantage goes to US, where the firmware lets you capture in 60p, and I, with the actual firmware, am able to capture up to 50p (only ) quality (I wish I could have 60p!)
By the way, what editing software do you usually use?
Actually my 5N does P through 720, at 1080... i get Interlaced options only. The R model in the USA is the the version 5 for 50p. So i thought i would just step up to the Nex7 for the next cam purchase, higher bit rates, all progressive.. why not.

I use a few editing softwares but i still prefer final cut pro 7 at this time. I hate the new version (X). Mainly though, this is a choice based on the work i do and workflow needs. FCPX has improved a whole lot since it was released, but for making 100s of commercials every few weeks, the timeline is not conducive to allow for such volume. Final Cut Pro X is better for long format stuff like corp videos, short films and such. Im actually about to replace FCP7 (since it doesn't like AVCHD very well) with the latest Adobe Premiere. Have a buddy that switched last year and said the new premiere is like final cut 7 on steroids... same shortcut key commands and everything. I'm heavily versed in adobe with after effects, Illustrator and photoshop.. might as well go back to Premiere too then.

Premiere was the first NLE i ever used back in the late 90's (thank god, good by tape edits!), then several Avid systems, then several versions of FCP... and i've dabbled with sony vegas a bit at home (or general sony software), i really like sonys audio software. In the end, its just about what works for you. Almost all the pro level applications achieve the same end product these days. Some have different feels to the end product but mainly your choice should be on your work flow needs not software function or "ease of tool use". They all do the same thing, they just lay the tools out differently.

hope that helps
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshado View Post
Hey VAndepoel,

Nice result !!

Can I please ask you some info about your config :
1)What is the total weight of the glyder ( all included) ?
2)What is the weight of your panasonic tz30 camera ?
3)To balance your camera with the 6S 5000mah Lipo , did you use the small carbon tube for the battery tray ?

Many thanks
hey,

total weight was littlebit over 3kg i think, 6s is a very heavy battery,
camera weighs 284 gr and i use the small carbon tube indeed for balancing.
i have to put the battery to the maximum lowest point for a correct balance.

you still have trouble with the 4s setup?

chrs
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
75 Posts
here is a small video of my 3th flight,
camera used was a panasonc tz30.
maybe the problem is unbalanced props? it did flip over the first attempt but did not see any damage to props or rig, maybe this has caused something that generate the vibration ... anyone a suggestion what i can do or had the similar problem?

vibration glyder 600 (0 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM
geekrawker
Joined Aug 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandepoel View Post
hey,

did today my maiden and got a flight time of 12min fully loaded.
i have to say that i made a mistake in the begining by setting my voltage alarm to high, it was on 22.7 volt -0.7 = 22v and that was my reason i only got 4min of flighttime at first.

now i set it on 20.7-7 = 20 for the led and 20-0.7 for landing and it works great.

now im trying to solve the vibration problem.
im using a panasonic tz30 camera, put it on a rubber strip, place this on the plate and use a rubber damped screw on the bottom.

i cannot tell if the problem is realy to much vibration or the camera stabilizer is causing the problem. next week i going to test it with the horyzonhd to see if the problem stays.

chrs
This is good info! I turned my voltage protection off, i was tired of it trying to auto land under heavy loading. i'll try out your setting... i would like to get it to where it doesn't auto land until about 60 seconds from LVC... i would like to use the protect feature but i could never get the load levels correct.

re vibes... My glyder needed a heavy cam, not sure how heavy your Tz30 is. my gopro got all sorts of vibes in it. i suspect this was due to the light weight not adding enough tension to the steadicam springs, so the springs were amplifying the vibes. As soon as i started loading the steadicam with heaver equipment, my vibes were totally gone.

I'm just guessing here though, some of the other early build guys got smooth results with light cameras. FU gets good results from light point and shoots, could be something i missed in my initial build. Most of us early folks were building half blind at the time as FU was still working on the manual and discussing things with us regularly.

No disrespect intended, quite the opposite... i enjoyed being one of about 30 folks that got this contraption flying in just a few weeks after the release. i don't mind making mods and working blind, its part of the fun of our hobby in my opinion. I half expected it would need lots of modifying since it was a new release. All i really had to do was rase my battery plate a little to accommodate the heavy Nex, and i've replaced the landing feet, broke those right away in my first LVC slam down.
RCG Plus Member