Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
sorry to hear. I think HK support can really only refund you for damaged/missing parts and that is it.
If they were not selling their own brand motor, that'd be fine, but they are not being responsible for their own brands, which for me impacts my willingness to buy their brand of a product.

Anyone know what bearings and bolt-on prop adapter fit a turnigy Aerodrive XP SK5055-580?

It might take the 2 bearings the same size, or the one big and 2 little bearings.
I'd really like to find out before I take it apart.

For the prop adapter, I'll have to buy one for a similar model, but I don't even see 'em for sale for the motors they sell now.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:16 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by co pilot View Post
Just be careful, there is a certain bunch that hates on people who post bad experiences with hobbyking.
Well, if I post what occurred in a factual fashion and show how they operate damages my willingness to do business with them, and someone doesn't like that, they can 'bring it' as they say.

Or, more beneficially, they could inform their employer as to some easy but significant improvements they could apply to their business model.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
If they were not selling their own brand motor, that'd be fine, but they are not being responsible for their own brands, which for me impacts my willingness to buy their brand of a product.

Anyone know what bearings and bolt-on prop adapter fit a turnigy Aerodrive XP SK5055-580?

It might take the 2 bearings the same size, or the one big and 2 little bearings.
I'd really like to find out before I take it apart.

For the prop adapter, I'll have to buy one for a similar model, but I don't even see 'em for sale for the motors they sell now.
The prop adapter is listed under the accessories tab and is part of the accessory kit "Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 50-XX Spare Accessory Pack" ID: 192000005

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sory_Pack.html

That took all of 2 seconds to find.....

Bearing-wise NFI - you will need to measure them up - the same as you would for any other brand of motor.
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:48 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
No, I have seen that and it will not fit. The SK3 has a 6mm shaft and the older SK has an 8mm shaft.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:52 PM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
The bolt on adapters are the same mate.
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:58 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I wish they were. The shaft size mismatch isn't even the big problem.

SK3:


SK:
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:05 PM
Heli nut
Australia, WA, Wembley Downs
Joined May 2005
434 Posts
Sorry, i see you have an early one my bad....
Trexmad is offline Find More Posts by Trexmad
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
You are actually illustrating the problem quite nicely- there are lots of similar versions, some almost the same, some fairly different.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:08 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Razor_Racer's Avatar
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
You are actually illustrating the problem quite nicely- there are lots of similar versions, some almost the same, some fairly different.
You have to get into the mindset that HobbyKing "customer service" has no more technical data than you do. They don't have a magic database with all of their parts and compatible collets, etc. They can't run to the warehouse and measure bearings for you. When you ask them questions about if they have a certain product, they go on their own site and search just like you can.

Customer service is ordering and sales support, not technical support.
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:11 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
rcalldaylong's Avatar
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer View Post
You have to get into the mindset that HobbyKing "customer service" has no more technical data than you do. They don't have a magic database with all of their parts and compatible collets, etc. They can't run to the warehouse and measure bearings for you. When you ask them questions about if they have a certain product, they go on their own site and search just like you can.

Customer service is ordering and sales support, not technical support.
This is where RCG comes in

I've had to ask folks here to measure for me or asked which adapter fits. Good news is HK stuff is so well saturated around the globe that someone has it or has done what you wanna do...and also RCG members have some of the best people in the world and willing to do just about anything to help. So when in doubt, ask, ask, ask, verify, verify, and verify. And if you don't wanna do that, well there's your LHS, where you can touch it, feel it, make sure it fits before you buy.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor_Racer View Post
You have to get into the mindset that HobbyKing "customer service" has no more technical data than you do. They don't have a magic database with all of their parts and compatible collets, etc. They can't run to the warehouse and measure bearings for you. When you ask them questions about if they have a certain product, they go on their own site and search just like you can.

Customer service is ordering and sales support, not technical support.
I would agree with this if this was just a brand they were selling, but this is their brand- they are the authority on it.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Razor_Racer's Avatar
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
I would agree with this if this was just a brand they were selling, but this is their brand- they are the authority on it.
You are talking to customer support for HobbyKing, not technical support for Turnigy. You are not talking to the people who designed the motor. You are talking to one very very small cog in the huge machine, and that cog can't simply call up the designer of the motor and find out.
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
Carnifax's Avatar
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,314 Posts
C'mon. Motor shaft size is basic info that HK should have at the ready for their customers at the time of purchase (much less available upon request). Is the consumer supposed to guess at the supporting equipment necessary to operate their products?

Here is a good example of exactly how HK earns the reputation they do. Its not a matter of "hating" them or not.
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:38 PM
Merry xmas
KCV6's Avatar
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,831 Posts
Dan it is available at the time of purchase? The issue here is this motor is no longer listed.

Here is a good example of commenting without any knowledge. Might I suggest if you wish to value add, perhaps take the time to read and investigate and comment accordingly. I really don't understand why you would comment as you have. It does nothing to assist with the question being asked?

Dave, HK have a customer forum where questions like these can be answered if that answer can not be found elswhere. As the old SK 2 series is now superceeded I suspect. You may be able to find the answer by searching SK2 5055 580. I run the 3548's and they have 2 bearings only, so I suspect the 5055 is the same style.

Mark

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
Registered User
3d astronaut's Avatar
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax View Post
C'mon. Motor shaft size is basic info that HK should have at the ready for their customers at the time of purchase (much less available upon request). Is the consumer supposed to guess at the supporting equipment necessary to operate their products?

Here is a good example of exactly how HK earns the reputation they do. Its not a matter of "hating" them or not.
True on many levels but they have improved 10 fold. Even over the last few months, they keep getting better and more efficient. Cant wait to see where it goes from here.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant Hobby king is NO customer service KING Easyrydr HobbyKing 7 Dec 11, 2012 12:05 AM
Discussion Hobby King's lack of customer service Joe 1320 HobbyKing 18 Jun 08, 2012 02:58 PM
Alert Hobby King NANO TECH and their terrible customer service. tascheri HobbyKing 9 May 30, 2012 07:45 AM
Rant Hobby King Customer service. Easyrydr HobbyKing 15 Apr 15, 2012 03:26 AM
Discussion Hobby King Customer Service dazed&confuzed Hobby Stores 1 Mar 25, 2012 09:48 PM