HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcudaman View Post
Figured it out. The little cover thing they put on the jst plug for you to better grab it, well if you look closely in the plug, you can see where this cover puts just enough pressure on the jst to deform it. I just took some side cutters and cut off the little hooks holding it in the jst plug and all was well in the world. Works like a charm now. Good idea on their part, just not quite right. Easy fix, just cut it off if its causing issues like mine did.
On another note, got my Devo 8S working on my Phoenix today. So when I want to sim at the computer I use the Devo, and when I want to sim on the big screen and sit on the couch, I grab my dx7 hooked to my sim stick and sim wireless. Which ill be able to do when I install the Firmware to talk to Spektrum.

Good find!
I see what you are talking about: "cover puts just enough pressure on the jst to deform it".

Thanks for posting this.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Turbo Ace 915 with the XP-12A-2 (V2) High Speed ESC

Just posted my review for the Turbo Ace 915 with the XP-12A-2 (V2) High Speed ESC. It is on post # 2 on page #1.

Tom
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Just going through the spec sheet for this bird and these are mentioned:

7). ESC: WK-WST-20A-L - Good ESC but a bit heavy. Starts the BL motor well. Has a heat sink on the board under the heat shrink.
Worked good until mine burned out after the second battery.

8). Brushless Motor: WK-WS-15-001 - Excellent stock BL motor. Good power, climb out, and flight times. Best micro BL motor Walkera has made IMO.

9). Receiver: RX-2636H-D - Super stable 6 axis gyro. Flips and inverts well for me.

10).Servos:WK-02-1 - Same servos as the Walkera 4G6. They have always worked good for me. Mine are still working great after years of use and many crashes.

Can anyone expound upon these, tell the pros cons ect..
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:45 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
946 Posts
Thanks Tom that's just what I wanted to know so it looks like for the most part this is a quality heli I'll just keep my eye mostly on the esc then.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Your welcome.
I think I just happened to get a bad ESC as I have not seen bad posts about the ESC. If I do I'll put links to them.
The XP-15A-2 ESC or XP-7A-2 ESC would be good options if you don't want to use the stock 20A ESC like myself.
Plus you can program the XP ESC's which is nice and they also have LVC protection.

Tom
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:03 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,162 Posts
Anyone knows how many amps the stock motor draws? I was thinking of trying another ESC but I only have a 7A and a 10A.

Edit: to check what BlHeli does to this thing
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:34 AM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Really good review. I'm running a Livonia bob slipper right from the get go. Probably a good idea for me as I crashed a couple times trying to do flips and invert. Fff has been smooth for me though it just glides along with little throttle. Full throttle I just run out of space quick even in a large field. I need to get a high visibility canopy. Speaking of which the stock canopy is fragile or maybe I am unlucky. It split bad on a minor crash. Stall turns seem normal like my gcp in 3ax mode. Big sweeping turns are predictable. The tail servo rod popped out of the guide after a visit to the bushes and I didn't realize it. It was super twitchy til I fixed that. Good power and 7 minutes on the stock battery. Actually I just stop at 7 which seems to be 3.7 when I check them. I guess it will go longer but I'd rather not strain them. The helicopter came with a USB dual battery charger. Great when, trailer camping. I usually use my gcp wall charger.

Awesome bird. I really like it.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Last edited by LarsDennert; Nov 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:34 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsDennert View Post
Really good review. I'm running a Livonia bob slipper right from the get go. Probably a good idea for me as I crashed a couple times trying to do flips and invert. Fff has been smooth for me though it just glides along with little throttle. Full throttle I just run out of space quick even in a large field. I need to get a high visibility canopy. Speaking of which the stock canopy is fragile or maybe I am unlucky. It split bad on a minor crash. Stall turns seem normal like my gcp in 3ax mode. Big sweeping turns are predictable. The tail servo rod popped out of the guide after a visit to the bushes and I didn't realize it. It was super twitchy til I fixed that. Good power and 7 minutes on the stock battery. Actually I just stop at 7 which seems to be 3.7 when I check them. I guess it will go longer but I'd rather not strain them. The helicopter came with a USB dual battery charger. Great when, trailer camping. I usually use my gcp wall charger.

Awesome bird. I really like it.
Nice canopy here and here. Good price too, I have 2 of the red ones on the way.

About them being fragile, yeah, they all are. I usually reinforce mine with some electrical tape (color matching if I'm lucky) along the bottom side, where they split.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:27 PM
V120D02S, GCP
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Feb 2012
142 Posts
Cool. They have those at wow as well. I should just get a couple. Seems like the gcp canopies did better probably because the heli was lighter.
LarsDennert is offline Find More Posts by LarsDennert
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
V120D02S V2 with the TA 915

Just tested my TA 915 with the 10T. I posted the headspeeds in post #2.
I now have tested 9T and 10T pinions.

Also Buildem336 (Manuel) flew the V120D02S V2 with the TA 915 w/10T and said it did pretty good. Dkfuji let Manny fly his.

Tom
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:56 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,162 Posts
I'm still amazed on how good the stock batteries are.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
The only thing about this heli I don't like is that so far I have not figured out how to get this bird to piro in place. Seems anytime you attempt a piro move, in place or during a 3d move, it washes out horrible. Say if I do a right piro, the tail dips down and throws the whole heli out of whack. Not sure if its the 6 axis gyro doing this or what. It acts like there is some form of elevator to rudder mixing, but I know there is none in the tx.
I have tried several types of blades and now the ace motor, but the poor piro problem is still there. Slid the motor off the main gear and checked for CG and its good. Balanced the whole rotor head with blades on a DuBro true spin, its good. So at this point, the only thing left is the gyro. I have adjusted the pot all the way to the left, and as far to the right as I could before it jitters, but no help there. Looks like I may have to find a 3 axis and try that. Back in the day my 4G3 did not have this issue. I hope to figure this problem out as other than this, I love this heli. But this problem makes piro 3D impossible.
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Bob sent me a 900mAH 25C battery to test out.
I don't know if it is a linear battery or not.
The brand name is covered with a black sharpie.
The battery fits in the battery tray.
The weight is 25.3g vs 17.5g for the stock battery.
For all the batteries I tested including this one see my review on the first post.

I got 3 more minutes flight time over the stock battery with this 900mAH battery.
I could have flown longer as the battery still had power but I didn't
want to take the voltage down too low.

Flight Time: - 900mAH 25C Battery - Stock Motor - XP-15A-2 ESC
  • 3 Minutes: 3.91V
  • 4 Minutes: 3.85V
  • 5 Minutes: 3.80V
  • 6 Minutes: 3.76V
  • 7 Minutes: 3.74V
  • 8 Minutes: 3.70V
  • 9 Minutes: 3.69V
  • 10 Minutes: 3.67V

Head Speed: - 900mAH 25C Battery - Stock Motor - XP-15A-2 ESC
  • 4,890 RPM at mid stick 100% throttle with the stock battery.

http://helircstore.com/battery,lipo,900,900mah

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:04 AM.