Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
This is gonna hurt.........
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
battery info

Have you had a chance to try any nanotech packs yet.
Also, does walkera make a charge cable to be able to charge more than one pack at a time? Your pictures helped me determine that I ordered the wrong one. I thought they were JST. But looking at the pics, I think I was wrong...
nwcudaman is offline Find More Posts by nwcudaman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
840 Posts
I thought they were jst also.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
The stock 600mAH battery has both a jst and standard walkera connector.
The stock 20 amp esc has a jst connector.
The XP-12A-2 -V2 ESC has the standard walkera connector which is the esc
I will be using from now on. I had to do the review stock out of the box first
but when the stock esc burned out I used the XP esc to practice flying
and update the rx firmware so that is why some of my pictures have that esc in it.

I have not tried the nanotech battery. I have the nanotech 300mAH batteries
for my Mini CP. The flight time should be half of the stock battery.
I am looking to see if there is a nanotech 600mAH battery that will fit in the battery tray.
Also I am looking for a 600mAH hyperion that will fit.

There is a charge cable to be able to charge more than one stock battery pack at a time.
That is what I am using. It will charge 5 batteries at the same time.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Ok, well it got here today. Amazing speed. But that's a story all in it's self.

I got the combo with the Devo 8S, and the disc that came with it will not open on my computer so I'm going to muddle through it. I've programed many TX's before so I hope I can figure this one out.
It does look like I'll need to open the TX and switch the location of the hold and idle up though so they are like what I'm used to flying.
Ok,,,so off I go to dig into this little green monster. Thanks for the write up.

By the way, you said you did an update on the RX. I don't have that USB thing. Didn't know I needed to order that...Do I need to do an update or something before I can fly this thing?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
You can fly the helicopter without the RX firmware update, I did but...
There is a throttle bug where when you have the throttle all the way down the rotors will still spin a little.

Your heli may have the updated V1.1 firmware it in as I think mine did also.
If you don't have the throttle bug problem then you should be fine.
I didn't have the throttle bug problem on mine.

"2: The program provides improved throttle lock set a negative value appears related death, throttle BUG"

When you update the firmware the software should say V1.0 firmware.
After you update the firmware with V1.1 the software will still say V1.0.
This is also true for the Mini CP, Ladybird, Hoten X, and Master CP all of which I updated.
The software will tell you the same firmware version before and after the update.

You may have seen this but if not I did How to videos for updating RX/TX firmware.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=31

Tom
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcudaman View Post
It does look like I'll need to open the TX and switch the location of the hold and idle up though so they are like what I'm used to flying.
You can also program the MIX switch to be your FMOD and make your FMOD your throttle hold. I did this for the Devo 8 and Devo 10.

Tom
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Ok, just got finished setting up the bird as I would any of my other birds. And also, while I was at it, did some work to the TX to make it a smoother Heli TX.
I went ahead and swapped the switches locations. I had to extend the wires a little, not a big deal and then when that was done used a sharp exacto knife to remove the lables for Fmode and rudder D/R and swapped the locations for those as well so it all looks factory and good. Works like a charm.
While in there, I swung away the tension band for the throttle / collective stick and used a jewelers file and smoothed out the ridges that touch the tension band. Those little notches drive me insaine. So, all smooth and light grease back on, blue locktight on the tension screw, set to how I like it to feel,,,( just enough to hold the stick in place if held upright ) and now it's smooth as silk and I can feel the nice bearings in the TX. Thus far I'm liking all I've seen. Now to wait for the rain to stop so I can start figuring out throttle and pitch curves it likes.
While this will not be a beast like my other birds, I'm hoping for a micro this will fill the bill for me. I really didn't wish to go the same road as everyone else around here with the 130X and all the issues there.

Right now the big issue is with the JST plug on the ESC. The thing is so tight I have to use pliers to get the battery un plugged. I've been running a dummy plug in and out of it for awhile, hoping to loosen it up some,,,but not much luck yet.
Last edited by nwcudaman; Oct 20, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Nice work. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about how it does in FFF and stall turns. Does it feel like the gyro is fighting you? I don't feel that, but others do.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,135 Posts
Quote:

Right now the big issue is with the JST plug on the ESC. The thing is so tight I have to use pliers to get the battery un plugged. I've been running a dummy plug in and out of it for awhile, hoping to loosen it up some,,,but not much luck yet.
The problem with that JST plug is that you could get leads ripped off the battery eventually. Also, the leads of the ESC are pulled at the same time. I had an incident where the wires are shorted leading to copious smoke from the ESC. I was prepared to stomp on heli so that it didn't start off a fire. In the end, I was able to unplug it.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
The JST plug that came with my V120 was ridiculously tight, felt like I might destroy the heli just by unplugging the JST. I decided to installed micro deans and be done with it.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Nice work. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about how it does in FFF and stall turns. Does it feel like the gyro is fighting you? I don't feel that, but others do.

Rafa
Thanks.
I think it does well in FFF. I didn't notice the gyros fighting me or any bobbing up and down.
I haven't tried to adjust the gyros yet as I think they are fine where they are at
which is the factory positions. But I will play with the settings to see what happens.
I have seen posts that say to turn up (+ sign) the gyro gain to reduce the 6 axis effect.

I have never tried a stall turn. I just went on YouTube to see how it is done.
Will practice it on my sim before I try it.

Tom
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
The JST plug that came with my V120 was ridiculously tight, felt like I might destroy the heli just by unplugging the JST. I decided to installed micro deans and be done with it.
Same here. Mine was so tight I thought I was going to have to remove it with pliers.

I am now using the XP-12A-2 (V2) High Speed ESC which has the standard walkera battery plug.

Tom
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Mine was so tight I thought I was going to have to remove it with pliers.
Well, I did actually have to use pliars, two pairs in fact. At that point, I knew I had to get rid of the JST plug altogether.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
840 Posts
Just going through the spec sheet for this bird and these are mentioned:
7). ESC: WK-WST-20A-L
8). Brushless Motor: WK-WS-15-001
9). Receiver: RX-2636H-D
10).Servos:WK-02-1
Can anyone expound upon these, tell the pros cons ect..
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
USA, OR, Sandy
Joined Mar 2009
242 Posts
Figured it out. The little cover thing they put on the jst plug for you to better grab it, well if you look closely in the plug, you can see where this cover puts just enough pressure on the jst to deform it. I just took some side cutters and cut off the little hooks holding it in the jst plug and all was well in the world. Works like a charm now. Good idea on their part, just not quite right. Easy fix, just cut it off if its causing issues like mine did.
On another note, got my Devo 8S working on my Phoenix today. So when I want to sim at the computer I use the Devo, and when I want to sim on the big screen and sit on the couch, I grab my dx7 hooked to my sim stick and sim wireless. Which ill be able to do when I install the Firmware to talk to Spektrum.