HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Mini-Review
Walkera V120D02S V2 Review - Pictures, Videos, Flight Times, Thrust, TA 915 Motor

Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Thanks for the review, the telemetry issue is very interesting. One thing that perplexes me is that my heli with the 6 axis gyro seems to have less power than those with the 3 axis gyro.

It seems that a lot of users have complained about the 6 axis gyro making unwanted corrections, especially with sports flying in FFF. However, I have not seen any of this with mine. My 6 axis gyro provide a much smoother flight than the 3 axis gyro. If I take my hands off during FFF, the heli keeps on going ahead. If it is banked, it will remain banked. I suspect that if the gyro gain is not set high enough, then the effect of the accelerometers will become much more prominent. Here are my pot settings on my 6 axis gyro.

zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
828 Posts
Tom, I just pulled the trigger on one of these. Thanks for the review. Can anyone suggest any other batteries and where to get them.
RaymondM is offline Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Tom, I just pulled the trigger on one of these. Thanks for the review. Can anyone suggest any other batteries and where to get them.
There are batteries for the Solo Pro 180D sold by HobbyKing but the polarities are reversed. Someone almost set their house on fire using the standard Walkera charger on those batteries.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
828 Posts
OK I just saw the 950mah Nano Techs from HK they are to fit the Walkera V120 helis, nice very nice,thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
Certified Heli Addict
Joined Apr 2011
828 Posts
I will definitely stay away from the 180D batteries thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
RaymondM. I think you will like the heli. It is pretty good so far.
I want to try more batteries including the Nano Techs
and Hyperion’s if they have some that will fit.

I updated my review on the batteries I used.
So far the stock battery is the best I have tested.
I thought the Turbo Ace Linear would be the best but they were not.
I am also looking for other batteries to try so if you find some let me know.

Updated Details

Fullriver 600 mAH 20C Battery - Stock V120D02S V2 battery
Turbo Ace Linear CG Battery 650mAh 25C
Turbo Ace 600mAH 20C Battery

zadaw, thanks for posting your RX settings.
I want to try some different settings.
The stock settings worked well for me for general flying, flipping and inverting.
These are the RX settings I used (stock).

Tom

Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
I moved all the flight times, thrust tests, and headspeeds to the bottom of the review.
This way you can read the entire review without having to scroll though all that information.

Tom
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:23 AM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
508 Posts
nice review , numbers that actualy make sense...
I'm rather confused with all the different RX Walkera comes up with !!
wich are 6axis and wich are 3axis ? wich work the best !!
mine probably is a 3 2622-VD ...
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:26 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Strange that you would put the Livonia Bob slipper clutch the proven best one down at the bottom of the list.. While putting some old mods that don't work good first..

When you haven't even tried any of them.. Was this something personal?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Nothing personal, I did include you on this list. I read your thread and the positive replies for it on here and Helifreak.
I wanted to list first that the mod can be done by yourself and then that you can also buy the clutch.
I moved you up on the list as I see yours is cheaper than the Walkera Adjustable Tail Clutch.
I thought about asking you if you wanted to send me your clutch to test and review.

Tom
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:14 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Nothing personal, I did include you on this list. I read your thread and the positive replies for it on here and Helifreak.
I wanted to list first that the mod can be done by yourself and then that you can also buy the clutch.
I moved you up on the list as I see yours is cheaper than the Walkera Adjustable Tail Clutch.
I thought about asking you if you wanted to send me your clutch to test and review.

Tom
Tom,, I don't send them out free for reviews as I don't want anyone to think that the reviewer feels they have to give a good review because they got it free,, not that I think at all that you would do this as I know you don't but still it's my policy. That along with the fact that I'm not making a killing on these,, it's just that I'm filling a need for all the Walkera owners that keeps me making them..

Just for your information, it has always been more of a problem with the "D" holes stripping out on the "A" and "B" gears and not the teeth stripping off them. And the thicker gears on the "S" models makes stripping teeth even less of a problem where it didn't help the "D" hole stripping a whole lot..

Most if not all of the home made mods don't work very well,, this is why I came up with the V2 version of my mod,, which while a person can and are free to copy it at home the expense of buying the proper size drill bit, taps, screws and tubing to make one costs way more than my kit in shipping the needed stuff not even counting the actual price of the stuff.. Then there is knowing just how to do it. And how many are you going to screw up trying to get it made right. I feel my slipper clutch is fairly priced to reflect the time and material costs that go into making and sending them out.. Keeping in mind that it costs me $4.00 in gas and takes a hour with drive time and waiting in line to take them to the post office.

If you wish to order one and get it in the mail today before I leave for the cottage in a few hours send me a email to slipperclutch@mi.rr.com and I'll send you a PayPal invoice and get one in the mail..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliecoeur13 View Post
nice review , numbers that actualy make sense...
I'm rather confused with all the different RX Walkera comes up with !!
wich are 6axis and wich are 3axis ? wich work the best !!
mine probably is a 3 2622-VD ...
The original version came with a 3 axis gyro (2622). The new version has a 6 axis gyro (2636). The 6 axis gyro is very controversial. It seems that many have reported unwanted corrections by the gyro during flight, especially sports flying in FFF. However, some including myself have not found any problems with it. In fact, I feel that it provides a smoother flight.