HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
215 Posts
Discussion
Poor mans diy FPV goggles

Hello
I just want to share my diy FPV goggles which I constructed out of depron and tape.
The walls are 2x3mm depron sheets coated with black tape. The monitor is a 4.3" backing lcd TFT from ebay: http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/43-TFT-L...558893499/item
Im using some cheapo 4.5+ reading goggles which allows me to move the screen closer to my head. The googles are ziptied to the sides of the frame.
They get the job done, are quite comfortable and Im probably looking like a tool wearing them .
Ofcourse they cant be compared to fatsharks but for the price they are unbeatable!
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
Great idea on the reading glasses. A few months ago I bought an auto backup monitor and tried a flat sheet page magnifier to get the correct focal length (I wear glasses for reading). I liked the fidelity on the screen except the contraption stuck way out and looked like a torture device. I have to give your idea a try. Thanks
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:21 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Hi, what about the BLUE SCREEN problem? Do you get it with this monitor?
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:42 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
2,954 Posts
Yes, great option at $20. I used the same monitor for flight and it worked great for simple fpv flights. I had it strapped to my tx . and used it to line up photo shots. Did blue screen, but recovered in under 3 seconds.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
I've flown using a 7" monitor for the past year since goggles are bit pricy. I had a 4.3” monitor used in conjunction with a full page magnifier—it didn’t work very well. The initiator of this post used reading glasses so I’d thought I’d give it a second try. The reading glasses are off-the-shelf +3.0, three pack about $8, welding goggles, $11, 1 ˝” heavy stretch waistband elastic, $2 hot glue, duct tape and a plastic real estate sign.
While I have never used Fat Sharks, these homemade ones are a step-up from the monitor. I even tried it with my OSD--the information was clearly visible.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,200 Posts
...stupid question about reading glasses!

I wear contact lens, do I need those reading glasses?

are the "Reading-glasses" for manification purpose only?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
...stupid question about reading glasses!

I wear contact lens, do I need those reading glasses?

are the "Reading-glasses" for manification purpose only?
For magnification purposes only. I went to Walmart to a rack of reading glasses, near the pharmacy, I knew how far my eyes would be from the monitor, 5", so I just grabbed an item off the shelf and proceeded to try on glasses and read the small print at that distance until I found a pair that worked. It was cheaper to purchase a pack of three with light frames ($7.68) than buy one pair.

The rear view monitor has quite a few adjustments, contrast, ratio, color balance etc. I picked it up on E-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-Color-LC...item3a74df1b21
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,200 Posts
Does that 4.3" monitor on ebay goto "blue Screen"?

I use this monitor and it nevers goes to blue screen of death....
is this too big? (7 inches) heavy to wear on your head ?
Its is specific for FPV use!

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-m7...tor-p-575.html
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:56 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
I have a VuPoint recorder in between the Video Rx and the monitor--no blue screen. The VuPoint does it's job but the record symbols overlays a part of my OSD altitude.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DV...item3f1c09088e

The monitor is way to heavy to try this. Build a box out of black poster board (hobby section), weather stripping (hardware) and velco straps (sewing) from Walley World all put together with hot glue.

[/QUOTE]
Last edited by 1fullbird; Nov 13, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Dec 2010
136 Posts
The 5" 800x480 on goodluckbuy works really well, hardly any bluescreen, nice and sharp
mich75 is offline Find More Posts by mich75
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Jul 2010
75 Posts
You never know what might happen in the field. So for extra protection you might want to do this:
DIY FPV Immersive Helmet - T450 Pro (6 min 52 sec)
cinemacell is offline Find More Posts by cinemacell
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
215 Posts
I had no idea that this thread was active, Im glad to see it is! The monitor do bluescreen at low signal, this can be avoided by having an osd between the screen and VRX. The glasses are used for magnification and helping me to focus on the screen at this short distance.
xardinen is offline Find More Posts by xardinen
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
I have the VuPoint to prevent the blue screen. You will get static and then the picture pops right back (providing you haven't totally blocked the signal). I'm Bgoing to give my goggles an operational test this weekend. Bench testing is one thing, flying is another. But I will say I was using the 4.3" as a second monitor for observers. They thought it was neat. Of course none of them fly so their perspective is ehhhh.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,836 Posts
Can you upload the video from the vupoint? I just picked up a 12 volt 19 inch screen but the thing goes to blue screen fast. I want to see what your vupoint looks like.
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
875 Posts
If you do a search on Vupoint in RCGroups or google Vupoint & FPV you will find examples. The aspect of using it is, it has a Vd in and Vd out. So your monitor receives an input even if it is static - not the blue screen of death. Its a lower cost solution than some of the other recorders out there. There are others out there I just happened to try this one. (tried a Angel Eyes Recorder--didn't work. As soon as the screen flickered it stopped recording and my monitor would blue screen. Vd in and Vd out on it didn't work for me.)