United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
Interesting exchange rate

$399 in the USA
380 in the UK
It's terrible I know. Just buy from the US, I'm not supposed to say but if youve been here long enough you will know who Tim is. He will ship it to the UK.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,985 Posts
Does this have live out via composite cable while recording at the same time?

I looked over features and specs and no mention of it.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:14 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,311 Posts
i think someone mentioned in another thread that its a mini usb cable and no 3.5 jack out like the gph2
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Sep 2008
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
i think someone mentioned in another thread that its a mini usb cable and no 3.5 jack out like the gph2
Thank you.

That I know but trying to figure out if I can record and hookup a video TX/RX and see like what the camera is recording.
I can do that with my NEX-5N but have to use an HDMI converter.

Here is the accessory-> http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/...omposite-cable
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Thank you.

That I know but trying to figure out if I can record and hookup a video TX/RX and see like what the camera is recording.
I can do that with my NEX-5N but have to use an HDMI converter.

Here is the accessory-> http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/...omposite-cable
Ahh...ok got ya...yeah i dont think anyone knows yet if it can do live out and record at the same time...guess we will have to wait and see..
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
The image quality is the best thing out there that you will get for 3-400 bucks. Did you watch the demo in 1080? incredible.... The nex5n is garbage compared to this for video.
Agree about the best bang for the buck but you're a bit exaggerating here. Large resolutions should be met with nice quality lenses, which is why Nex series will still become a popular choice. The largest I shoot with is 1080 50p. Larger resolutions are nice extra features but I dont really need it.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
Agree about the best bang for the buck but you're a bit exaggerating here. Large resolutions should be met with nice quality lenses, which is why Nex series will still become a popular choice. The largest I shoot with is 1080 50p. Larger resolutions are nice extra features but I dont really need it.
No matter what lens you put on an nex5n the video will not match this gopro. I own a $700 Voightlander lens that I put on the nex5n and no matter what you do the bit rate on the nex5n is garbage. The gopro lens is nice actually. Larger resolution gives you more detail. I never do presentation in the larger res you just go down to 1080 anyway. But what the larger res also does is give you the ability to correct the footage more in post. Albeit it is not RAW Cinema DNG or anything but it is still 2.7k, much better than 1080 and the nex5n for video will never compare unless the unleash that bit rate, but still that wont be better because you are dealing with much more pixels. more pixels = more detail. And no, I am not exaggerating...
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:36 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
No matter what lens you put on an nex5n the video will not match this gopro. I own a $700 Voightlander lens that I put on the nex5n and no matter what you do the bit rate on the nex5n is garbage. The gopro lens is nice actually. Larger resolution gives you more detail. I never do presentation in the larger res you just go down to 1080 anyway. But what the larger res also does is give you the ability to correct the footage more in post. Albeit it is not RAW Cinema DNG or anything but it is still 2.7k, much better than 1080 and the nex5n for video will never compare unless the unleash that bit rate, but still that wont be better because you are dealing with much more pixels. more pixels = more detail. And no, I am not exaggerating...
you're a pro so you know that more pixels do not necessarily translate into more detail. Lens quality and sensor size are factors that may limit you from getting the extra detail even though the resolution it is capable to produce is high.

Wide angle lens is also a concern to me, even when we choose narrow and let go pro to crop the video. Post process? well extra hassle.

To me, shooting in 1080 50/60p at 28m and editing in the same quality is more simple and trusty rather than rendering from higher res to 1080. The result? garbage bit rate you may say but it is enough for me.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajar View Post
you're a pro so you know that more pixels do not necessarily translate into more detail. Lens quality and sensor size are factors that may limit you from getting the extra detail even though the resolution it is capable to produce is high.

Wide angle lens is also a concern to me, even when we choose narrow and let go pro to crop the video. Post process? well extra hassle.

To me, shooting in 1080 50/60p at 28m and editing in the same quality is more simple and trusty rather than rendering from higher res to 1080. The result? garbage bit rate you may say but it is enough for me.
Bit rate has a lot to do with detail. going from higher res down to 1080 will result in a better quality image if you know how to trans code properly and use good codecs.

lens only does so much. but what do I know? I only did this for a living for the last 16 years, shot video with DSLRs and gopros since they came out.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
but what do I know?
You're being too humble there . Thanks for the discussion.

Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
I shot the aerials here on an nex5n. My rig is not the greatest so I have to correct for stability. If I had almost 3x the resolution and a better bit rate my images would be much more sharp, like the gopro demo. However it is very soft, and I used a nice voightlander, probably the best and sharpest wide option for the nex5n at the moment.. I gurantee i would get better imagery out of the hero 3

visconti (2 min 52 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
I shot the aerials here on an nex5n. My rig is not the greatest so I have to correct for stability. If I had almost 3x the resolution and a better bit rate my images would be much more sharp, like the gopro demo. However it is very soft, and I used a nice voightlander, probably the best and sharpest wide option for the nex5n at the moment.. I gurantee i would get better imagery out of the hero 3

https://vimeo.com/48670585
nice video. Let's hear your comments when you got your hands on the hero 3.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael82 View Post
Oh you got to be kidding me...
I just bought a hero hd2

same here... 2 weeks ago!
Mrhide is offline Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:04 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Every release they've had the images lived up to their spots. I'm assuming it will be very good. But yeah, we'll see...