Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:49 AM
(My english is Bad - Sorry)
Russian Federation, Novosibirskaya oblast, Novosibirsk
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazardpro View Post
Hi guys

Here is our video build log of the Aquacopter with Naza/GPS.
As you put the VTX want to see the photo.
novodk is offline Find More Posts by novodk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:29 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined Dec 2012
273 Posts
IF anyone is interested we can provide our custom designed/built perspex 'pods' for Naza / GPS.

Kit includes:

Perspex 2 shelf pod with venting, nuts & bolts supplied (as per our build)
Dome for GPS
Dome for FPV camera cover (pre cut to shape)

Cost £65 + shipping

PM if interested.
hazardpro is offline Find More Posts by hazardpro
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined Dec 2012
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novodk View Post
As you put the VTX want to see the photo.
Hi.

Its just velcro'd to the inside the frame. We are using ImmersionRC Spironets from First Person View which fits nicely into one of the arms.

Get them here
hazardpro is offline Find More Posts by hazardpro
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Has anyone purchased the ARF version? Curious what opinions people have about it.
blorincz99 is offline Find More Posts by blorincz99
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:22 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blorincz99 View Post
Has anyone purchased the ARF version? Curious what opinions people have about it.
I just received an ARF this week. Took a while to get it but Russ was very responsive to phone calls during the wait and explained that they've had more interest than they initially anticipated. Got mine with the goretex patch in the lid for Naza and will be running it with Naza/GPS.

All that I needed to do in order to get it up and running was to switch out the battery connector from the PCB (came with an XT60 and my batteries are all Deans) and connect the Naza VU to the board (the board's got a female JST so I soldered the VU wires to a male JST w/ pigtails).

Ran setup last night and had test flight this am without the GPS for a few minutes. Pretty steady but was oscillating a little bit so I think the gains need some tweaking. Ran a 3S 2600 from 12.6v down to 11.9v in three minutes. Battery was cool coming out and so were 3 of the ESC's but one was hotter. Not sure what that's about but will look into it tonight. Going to put a notch in the lid and run the GPS on the pole mount that it comes with- hope to have that installed and sealed up tonight.

In all, the kit looks great, took a minimum of work and seems to be doing great so far with the setup process. I'll try to post some pics/vids by the weekend. Looking forward to getting it dialed in and doing some filming.
Seasiderht is offline Find More Posts by Seasiderht
Last edited by Seasiderht; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:02 AM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasiderht View Post
I just received an ARF this week. Took quite a while to get it but Russ was very responsive to phone calls during the wait and explained that they've had more interest than they initially anticipated. Got mine with the goretex patch in the lid for Naza and will be running it with Naza/GPS.

All that I needed to do in order to get it up and running was to switch out the battery connector from the PCB (came with an XT60 and my batteries are all Deans) and connect the Naza VU to the board (the board's got a female JST so I soldered the VU wires to a male JST w/ pigtails).

Ran setup last night and had test flight this am without the GPS for a few minutes. Pretty steady but was oscillating a little bit so I think the gains need some tweaking. Ran a 3S 2600 from 12.6v down to 11.9v in three minutes. Battery was cool coming out and so were 3 of the ESC's but one was hotter. Not sure what that's about but will look into it tonight. Going to put a notch in the lid and run the GPS on the pole mount that it comes with- hope to have that installed and sealed up tonight.

In all, the kit looks great, took a minimum of work and seems to be doing great so far with the setup process. I'll try to post some pics/vids by the weekend. Looking forward to getting it dialed in and doing some filming.
Great initial write up. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
blorincz99 is offline Find More Posts by blorincz99
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
I have a few initial shakedown bugs that I'm hoping folks might be able to help me out with.

1) After running 3 batteries for 3 minutes each, I'm continuing to have one ESC (the front right or "M1" on the Naza coming out extremely hot to the touch. The others are just barely warm. Battery is cool and in 3 minutes I'm winding up with about 11.1V on my 3S 2.

2) I'm also seeing a bit of oscillation, although that has deceased since dropping my gains down a bit. I'm assuming that since the gains helped the problem that they are the source of the problem and am going to tinker with them some more tonight.

Just wondering whether the erratic flight and one hot ESC could have anything to do with one another and, otherwise, what might be causing the one ESC to heat up and how to deal with it. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
does your hot ESC also have a BEC in it powering the controller? i have heard of this causing an issue on some ESC's, and users reporting exactly what you are saying, i believe their solution was to run a separate BEC.

what kind of ESC's are they?
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Thanks, Dave- the ESC's are basic 30amp units, not sure of make (as they came in the ARF kit) but am looking into it. The ESC's have just two wires each going into the power control board- don't know if that gives any indication of whether they have BEC's.

I've got the Naza powered through the VU running to a JST plug on the power control board.
Last edited by Seasiderht; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
779 Posts
Quote:
I have a few initial shakedown bugs that I'm hoping folks might be able to help me out with.

1) After running 3 batteries for 3 minutes each, I'm continuing to have one ESC (the front right or "M1" on the Naza coming out extremely hot to the touch. The others are just barely warm. Battery is cool and in 3 minutes I'm winding up with about 11.1V on my 3S 2.

2) I'm also seeing a bit of oscillation, although that has deceased since dropping my gains down a bit. I'm assuming that since the gains helped the problem that they are the source of the problem and am going to tinker with them some more tonight.

Just wondering whether the erratic flight and one hot ESC could have anything to do with one another and, otherwise, what might be causing the one ESC to heat up and how to deal with it. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Is that motor warmer than the others as well? If so your quad might be out of balance and causing that motor to work harder than the others.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Thanks, Epyonxero- not sure, I didn't feel the motor but will give that a try this afternoon.

Shot a little video this am of the first test flight. You can see some of the oscillation in it. What a cool thing it is to get some vertical perspective for the first time though! Been flying my 1sQ for a few months to learn the sticks but this was my first time on the Aquacopter and first time sending a camera up.

First test flight of the FISHQUAD (1 min 56 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoen View Post
does your hot ESC also have a BEC in it powering the controller? i have heard of this causing an issue on some ESC's, and users reporting exactly what you are saying, i believe their solution was to run a separate BEC. what kind of ESC's are they?
FYI- I just spoke with Russ at Aquacopters and he confirmed that the hotter ESC was likely the one with the BEC and that some folks disconnect the BEC wire when running the Naza. I'll look into doing that if I continue to have heat problems. I've been impressed and happy see how responsive Russ is to calls and questions from beginners like me about his product. Great company and cool product...

Thanks again for responding.
Last edited by Seasiderht; Feb 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:32 PM
(My english is Bad - Sorry)
Russian Federation, Novosibirskaya oblast, Novosibirsk
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
I have Nazą / GPS and OPTO 30A. "M1" and ESC warmer than others.
novodk is offline Find More Posts by novodk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
FYI- I just spoke with Russ at Aquacopters and he confirmed that the hotter ESC was likely the one with the BEC and that some folks disconnect the BEC wire when running the Naza.
I also have the ARF with a single hot motor/esc (M2), as well as connected my Naza to the female JST.

Today I flipped it when I ran out of battery (cant see the dang led) and it immediately started smoking. I throttled down immediately but it continued until I was able to get the battery disconnected. Too late, roasted the ESC and motor.

After some research I'm thinking that disconnecting the red wire coming from the esc's will not fix this in every circumstance, but rather disconnecting the naza jst connection.

Did you find out which motor/esc's the ARF aquacopter comes with? I'd like to order a new one asap. Emailed Russ as well.

Also- is your battery mounted diagonally from M1 to M3? that may explain the hot esc, as mine is diagonal from M2 to M4
hithelip is offline Find More Posts by hithelip