HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Accomadation for barometers

Something like a Gore PMF100392 might solve the problem. It's basically a waterproof goretex membrane that acts as a two-way pressure relief valve of sorts.

With a pressure differential of 70 mBar (1 psi) this vent is rated to move 2.5 litres of air per minute. That differential is equivalent to the difference between sea level and 2000' ASL, so if you imagine the thing climbing at a maximum rate 2000 feet per minute then I think the minimal volume of the frame is going to allow one or two vents to equalize things adequately during normal flight, particularly with altitude hold. It will also equalize internal pressure buildup that would otherwise occur with internal heating.

http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/v...ive/index.html
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
5 Posts
Motors?

Does any one have thouhts on using a dt750 or dt700 motor for the aquacopter.

Whats the best cheap range of motors to use that will match up to the holes?
somewhere around $10 to $15 each
rcperson is offline Find More Posts by rcperson
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcperson View Post
Does any one have thouhts on using a dt750 or dt700 motor for the aquacopter.

Whats the best cheap range of motors to use that will match up to the holes?
somewhere around $10 to $15 each
I installed Exceed Rocket 2215 motors from Hobbypartz.com . The first ones were 1300kv...boods of power, and way to many amps (~52A max). I just replaced them with 1050kv motors, but haven't flown it yet. Oh...I might add, I replaced the motor shafts so they were flush on the bottom for mounting.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
Has anyone got an idea how someone could use a KK2.0 board here?
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Come on people, give us videos of this thing getting dunked in water! Land in a pool! Fly in rain!

I have yet to finish my quad, one motor is done. It takes a while to even finish one arm on this thing and I've been so busy with other things. Now that winter is here for real, I better get to it asap.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshep View Post
Has anyone got an idea how someone could use a KK2.0 board here?
I have the KK2 board in mine. Its simply suspended from the lid via stand offs. What is the problem you are having?
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:09 PM
pilot musician
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
ARF version

Can someone post he specs on the ARF version? motors, esc etc. also has anyone orderd one, looking for some feedback on performance, quality of hardware etc for the arf. Availability and how much wait time; if ordered within the next week would it make it for xmas?
I plan to set up my go pro / fpv and do some videography of RC scale hydroplane racing here in the NW. I understand there may be a new model in the works, any hints on if the new model will be a better fpv/camera platform. I have 40 years of RC experience, retired hobbyshop owner and would like to offer any R&D help if needed, thx
Charlie
chasaero is offline Find More Posts by chasaero
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Come on people, give us videos of this thing getting dunked in water! Land in a pool! Fly in rain!

I have yet to finish my quad, one motor is done. It takes a while to even finish one arm on this thing and I've been so busy with other things. Now that winter is here for real, I better get to it asap.

I have mine done for the moment order some heatsinks from China to finish it off. I will get some video soon.
Chad2323 is offline Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
Stacky, since mine has not arrived yet, I have no idea about the available depth of the cavity and assumed my fat fingers would get stuck under the top plate as I keyed in parameter changes ...

Any chance that you could take a pic of your setup?
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:40 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshep View Post
Stacky, since mine has not arrived yet, I have no idea about the available depth of the cavity and assumed my fat fingers would get stuck under the top plate as I keyed in parameter changes ...
Good point that. I hadn't thought about the need to twiddle params on the kk2 board. Please let us know how you get on with it I use kk2's as well and was thinking about an aquacopter.

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Something like a Gore PMF100392 might solve the problem. It's basically a waterproof goretex membrane that acts as a two-way pressure relief valve of sorts.

With a pressure differential of 70 mBar (1 psi) this vent is rated to move 2.5 litres of air per minute. That differential is equivalent to the difference between sea level and 2000' ASL, so if you imagine the thing climbing at a maximum rate 2000 feet per minute then I think the minimal volume of the frame is going to allow one or two vents to equalize things adequately during normal flight, particularly with altitude hold. It will also equalize internal pressure buildup that would otherwise occur with internal heating.

http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/v...ive/index.html
I called and talked to the folks at Gore about trying to get a few of these to try with the aquacopter. Unfortunately, they indicated that 1) they only accept volume orders and 2) they require some kind of application to ensure that the vents are fit for the intended use. Has anyone else had any luck getting their hands on these or something like them? Looks like a pretty slick solution.
Seasiderht is offline Find More Posts by Seasiderht
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:59 AM
... where is it ?!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jul 2011
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasiderht View Post
I called and talked to the folks at Gore about trying to get a few of these to try with the aquacopter. Unfortunately, they indicated that 1) they only accept volume orders and 2) they require some kind of application to ensure that the vents are fit for the intended use. Has anyone else had any luck getting their hands on these or something like them? Looks like a pretty slick solution.
Sorry to hear they don't sell them.
I was thinking about purchasing some material (hat or gloves or something), drilling small holes, then glue Goretex on both sides (or two layers on one side).
Alternative materials I found:
eVent: The most high-profile Gore-Tex alternative, made using an ePTFE (ie. stretched teflon) membrane that's similar to Gore-Tex. Initially developed by BHA group but eventually acquired by GE Energy (ripe for 30 rock parody) and licensed to clothing manufactures to be sold under different names.
Sympatex: Waterproof, windproof, and breathable membrane made from a "closed" polyther-polyester copolymer. It differs from eVent and Gore-Tex in that it doesn't have micropores for breathability--water vapor is passed through by way of an absorption and evaporation process.
Omni-Dry: Columbia sportswear's proprietary fabric.
NeoShell: Another recent major competitor to Gore-Tex, by Polartec. Claims to be the most breathable waterproof fabric on the market by not requiring high heat or pressure for air flow.
OutDry and Dry. Q: Proprietary technologies owned by Mountain Hardware clothing company. OutDry omits extra layers between the breathable membrane and outer shell, so water is not kept in the garment. Dry Q. lets moisture and air pass without getting warm. and uses technology licensed from GE's eVent.
HyVent: The North Face's own proprietary fabric.
H2No: Made by Patagonia, uses polyester and polyurethane laminates to achieve waterproofing and breathability. Reportedly very durable.
MemBrain: Similar to H2No in that it uses a polyurethane polymer laminate, but doesn't "breathe" as well as Gore-Tex.
ro.bi. is offline Find More Posts by ro.bi.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
...I have been thinking about mounting the battery on the exterior and waterproofing them and the plugs -
It seems to me if the main reason some would buy this thing is just to eliminate the risk of flying over water, why not mount the battery on the outside?

Likewise, why not coat a cheap FPV camera in silicone sealant? I have powerful LED bike lights (battery and lamps in separate units) that work fine in the rain but are not designed for working underwater.

It isn't as if this thing is going to be constantly getting completely submerged. And how hard a rain is anyone likely wanting to fly in?

As for an air vent. Why not design one that will seal once it goes underwater? A floating ball type on the top exterior of the case should be pretty easy to make if none is available. It only needs to work if it is inverted.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 05, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Sweden
Sweden, Stockholm County, Djurö
Joined Apr 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasiderht View Post
Here: https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~eu_en/elfa...0-159-38&cat=0

I dont know which countries, I am in sweden and they have them in stock.

Check for countries supported: https://www.elfa.se/elfa3/StartPage.do
tvbcom is offline Find More Posts by tvbcom
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Thanks TVB- doesn't look like they have a US distributor unfortunately. I did some looking and found that surfboard shapers use gore tex plugs to allow foam cored boards to breathe without taking in water. Looks like the plug is 1" across by 5/8" deep. Not sure whether that's too big to use... http://www.foamez.com/casica-gore-te...ing-p-780.html
Seasiderht is offline Find More Posts by Seasiderht