HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:23 AM
J'ai remis la purée
Netherlands, ZH, Zoetermeer
Joined Mar 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaCopters View Post
When I did the initial weight test, I believe it was just the bare bones frame without all the hardware, and that was just under 300 g. I had fixed the weight back up to 350 g because that is what my scale said for several frames. I am still baffled how yours came to be 396
Well, then you're in for another suprise, just received mine. Needless to say the frame looks great but am very disappointed about the weight increase since the original advert.. Oh well
joebarteam is online now Find More Posts by joebarteam
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:39 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Seems there is a big variation in weight. 410g is really getting up there.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Isnt the extra gasket thing a template? Im not using mine. If it is in fact just a template thats extra weight that doesnt need weighing.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:11 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarteam View Post
Well, then you're in for another suprise, just received mine. Needless to say the frame looks great but am very disappointed about the weight increase since the original advert.. Oh well
Why are you weighing the motor mounts as well inside the hull?

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:16 AM
J'ai remis la purée
Netherlands, ZH, Zoetermeer
Joined Mar 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Why are you weighing the motor mounts as well inside the hull?

Mike
Those aren't mounts, those are the gaskets that come with the frame.

I'm thinking about changing the cover:

All Gaskets : 6gr
Cover : 37gr
joebarteam is online now Find More Posts by joebarteam
Last edited by joebarteam; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:58 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
I just reweighed mine with the main gasket, cover and screws - removed the gasket template, plastic bag and motor gaskets - 365g.

Plastic cover alone 35g. 38g with 4 nylon screws and gasket.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
I wasnt too bothered by the weight. I bought the frame becuase i needed something that will protect my electronics if I dunk it in the ocean when trying to film surfing. The main way to lower the weight of this type of frame would be to go carbon fibre but I know thats massively more expensive to do. So kept within the context of price and material used this frame is of a weight I would have expected and much cheaper than the very cool Dexx frames. I can get a 7 minute flight out of my one with the gopro and my fpv gear on a 3000mah battery. Im quite happy with that for what i want to do.
The trade off for less weight is a far more expensive material or thinner plastics and less robustness. Even if we were to get the frame down by 100 grams to 265g how much extra flight time is that? 30 seconds?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,118 Posts
I flew with Shultz today. Our bare frames came out about the same weight ~395g +/- a gram or two. Mine's not built yet, but his is. I could 'see' the weight in flight. That said, he was still doing flips and rolls from ~8' altitude with no problems. He's using 1050kv motors and I'll be using slightly longer stator motors in the 1300kv range. Hopefully the longer stators and higher kv will equate to a little more umph. Really though...this isn't a sports frame...it was made for having some water fun...heck, even flying in the rain is possible now. That's what I got mine for and I'm sure it'll do what I want just fine...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Ya I wasn't posting the weights to say it was extremely heavy, more just for info. I'm not expecting it to be a sport flyer as it is a purpose built platform that is waterproof as the #1 design goal.

I'm planning to run mine on 4S I think with some new Leopard motors I have on order for testing. Give it a bit more efficiency and power for the size over 3S.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:47 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,663 Posts
We need to get a list of successful specs on peoples builds so I can finally put mine together

More build pics!
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:55 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Nothing fancy, but I tried it out on water today and it came out dry.

Aquacopter - First Flight on Water (0 min 32 sec)
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,993 Posts
Nice. How far down in the water was the frame setting, about half or more?

Dog didn't seem impresed :-)
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:11 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Nice. How far down in the water was the frame setting, about half or more?

Dog didn't seem impresed :-)
I didn't really measure it, but the motors were closer to the water than I had anticipated and water definitely splashes on them. Also, I landed harder once and a couple of arms went under water. It would be nice to design one where they sit higher.

Yeah, nobody will ever be impressed with my skills, ha. I am surprised she didn't take cover. Probably a wise thing to do when I fire up a quad.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
How far down in the water was the frame setting, about half or more?
I just put it back in the pool and it sits right at the half way mark. Will be interesting to see what it does with a GoPro on it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
I have just had a short flight over water with mine. Landed a couple of times in the water and did notice that if its a heavy landing the motor goes under. It was a bit breezy so being a small light quad compared to what i usually fly it was a bit bouncy in the air. I have some footage from the gopro that I will upload soon, nothing special just a quick tester. This was a short fpv flight.

AquaQuad1 Broadband (4 min 24 sec)
Last edited by Stacky; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:24 PM.