18,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
OH BOY, This is going to b fun.
Got my saddle pack battery.
guess whats going in the dome>>>

Later,
Gundy
I must admit the clear frame looks cool. You are aware it's hygroscopic which means it'll absorb water and sink to the bottom of the lake...loosing all your gear with it. Yep...to bad for you. Perhaps you should send it to me and I'll fly it over the desert where it won't sink. Deal???
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:18 AM
USA
Joined Aug 2009
828 Posts
any news about the fpv aqua copter?
importon is offline Find More Posts by importon
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaCopters View Post
There was an issue with the nuts that were being used, and scraped the inventory on hand because I wasn't going to send out what I believed was a sub-par product.
scrapped as in binned? or scrapped as in they are in some dark dingy corner?

i only ask as not EVERYONE uses screws to attach motors if the price was right i would buy what you consider a bodge job and fix it myself
neobot is online now Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:28 PM
Port Coquitlam, BC CANADA
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
It rains a lot in the winter here in the Vancouver area as well. As I look at this video, it seems that the Aquacopter does an excellent job of waterproofing from the bottom up. You can see that by its ability to land and take off from a lake surface. My question is how waterproof is it from the top down? Do the motors on the ARF models withstand flying in the rain? If those supplied motors can handle flying in the rain then Aquacopter could be considered amphibious. If it strictly a bottom waterproofing than it may be better to refer to it as water-resistant.

In this area, a lot of guys fly FPV and GPS. There is an opportunity for an optional higher dome for the Aquacopter to enable it to handle the electronics clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
With winter approaching fast this would be the perfect quad to fly with over thick snow and cold water! I hate rain, it often rains in the fall and I just cannot fly in it with my current quads.
Stumblebee is offline Find More Posts by Stumblebee
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:53 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,258 Posts
Rain shouldn't be a issue for the motors. Beyond possible corrosion a brushless motor can run in water.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Got my white one, looks really nice (gonna paint it up really nice). Floats much better than my dex. Wonder if the naza barro is going to have trouble with it sealed inside? Might have to put some holes in the top and use some of that water resistant mesh.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Doggone it! Totally forgot that Naza uses barometric pressure. That could be a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Wonder if the naza barro is going to have trouble with it sealed inside?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,086 Posts
Dolby, since you already have one of these, is there enough room inside of the "cockpit" to have two 3S lipos mounted in parallel? How easy is it to get in the cockpit to change lipos at the field? Any tools required? It looks like the Naza GPS could mount internally.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
I bet y'all are worried over nothing. I'm willing to bet the Naza baro will sense altitude pressure changes just fine..even when in the frame. It's easier to make something water proof than air proof.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
Needs more bacon!
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I bet y'all are worried over nothing. I'm willing to bet the Naza baro will sense altitude pressure changes just fine..even when in the frame. It's easier to make something water proof than air proof.
I had trouble with height hold on my dex until i put some holes in the top.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:23 PM
Needs more bacon!
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebee View Post
Dolby, since you already have one of these, is there enough room inside of the "cockpit" to have two 3S lipos mounted in parallel? How easy is it to get in the cockpit to change lipos at the field? Any tools required? It looks like the Naza GPS could mount internally.
what mah size are you talking? 5000mah no way. Maybe two 2200mah's. No tools required to open the "cockpit" it has plastic thumb screws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:04 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
Anyone have an AUW flying weight for one of these yet? Is a 2826 size motor enough umph or does it need to step up to a 2836?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,499 Posts
A Few Initial Inputs

I received my Aquacopter today. Shultz order two of them, one for him and one for me...so no, the PO didn't deliver on Sunday, but John brought mine to out 'meet' location today. Now for my first impressions:
1. Initial looks are very nice. No blaring issues.
2. Unscrewing the top cover lead me to quickly think...changing batteries is gunna suck. The holes and screw locations don't quite fully line up, leaving for some tightness in the screw fit. I think I'll enlarge the holes just a little and run a screw from inside out and then use wing nuts to secure the cover. That'll be easier for me to remove/install the cover.
3. X-mounts are not created equal. I don't have my motors yet...I think the ones I was planning on using aren't (2822 size) aren't going to have the umph...2830 size on order now. In the meantime I went through my pile of X-mounts. Two of the three 'types' I pulled out don't fit the motor mount spacing....luckily one size did (mostly) fit. All the mounts had the same motor mount spacing on the ID, but different distances on the OD holes. The ones that did fit, didn't all exactly fit the screw mounts in the frame. I enlarged the X-mount holes by one size larger drill bit and now they all fit...but a few are still 'snug'.
4.The empty frame weighs nearly 100g more than spec'd on the web site. The spec says 'under 300g'. Both mine and Shultz's came in at ~395g...significantly more than advertised. (Part of the reason why I ordered larger motors).

I look forward to seeing what people come up with for battery mounting set ups. I'm thinking a power distribution board on short spacers mounted/screwed to the bottom of the frame. This will require a little waterproofing, but some silicone on the screws when installing should do the trick. I'll put some velcro on the top of the distro board and run a battery strap around the distro board to mount the battery. I think the FC will be mounted to the lid and use 90 degree pins to connect the Rx and motor leads...should make for a narrower mounting for taller batteries if need be.

I've got a few 'nearly finished' projects I need to finish up before I can really start on the Aquaquad, so I'll be watching what other do before me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:34 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,752 Posts
Mine weighs in at 370g as it was shipped with the gaskets inside.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I received my Aquacopter today. Shultz order two of them, one for him and one for me...so no, the PO didn't deliver on Sunday, but John brought mine to out 'meet' location today. Now for my first impressions:
1. Initial looks are very nice. No blaring issues.
2. Unscrewing the top cover lead me to quickly think...changing batteries is gunna suck. The holes and screw locations don't quite fully line up, leaving for some tightness in the screw fit. I think I'll enlarge the holes just a little and run a screw from inside out and then use wing nuts to secure the cover. That'll be easier for me to remove/install the cover.
3. X-mounts are not created equal. I don't have my motors yet...I think the ones I was planning on using aren't (2822 size) aren't going to have the umph...2830 size on order now. In the meantime I went through my pile of X-mounts. Two of the three 'types' I pulled out don't fit the motor mount spacing....luckily one size did (mostly) fit. All the mounts had the same motor mount spacing on the ID, but different distances on the OD holes. The ones that did fit, didn't all exactly fit the screw mounts in the frame. I enlarged the X-mount holes by one size larger drill bit and now they all fit...but a few are still 'snug'.
4.The empty frame weighs nearly 100g more than spec'd on the web site. The spec says 'under 300g'. Both mine and Shultz's came in at ~395g...significantly more than advertised. (Part of the reason why I ordered larger motors).

I look forward to seeing what people come up with for battery mounting set ups. I'm thinking a power distribution board on short spacers mounted/screwed to the bottom of the frame. This will require a little waterproofing, but some silicone on the screws when installing should do the trick. I'll put some velcro on the top of the distro board and run a battery strap around the distro board to mount the battery. I think the FC will be mounted to the lid and use 90 degree pins to connect the Rx and motor leads...should make for a narrower mounting for taller batteries if need be.

I've got a few 'nearly finished' projects I need to finish up before I can really start on the Aquaquad, so I'll be watching what other do before me.
1. Thanks

2. Tolerances are tight, but should be fine. It is intentionally done this way to keep as much sealing area as possible for the gasket. When enlarging the holes be careful you are leaving enough "meat" to seal. As long as I remember I will bring an extra cover with me to Las Vegas next week!

3. Not sure what you mean by the X mounts are not created equal?! The same template is used for all holes. But again the tolerances are tight, and when drilling small holes then threading in the inserts, it is possible to get a hair off. If needed, drill the holes out a touch bigger (like you did). The other option would be to not install the inserts and provide the material in the kit for individuals to do themselves for the size motors they have.

4. DAMN, that is completely my fault. The weight shown on the website was prior to installing some of the items, and just forgot to change it. However, the frames that I had weighed came in between 350-360 grams, not much difference, but I will check again and fix the description.

I had actually thought about recessing some mounting holes in the bottom for the dist. board so the screws would be out of the way, but figured not everyone would like that... just get in the way for them. Like I had mentioned before... the Scotch brand exterior mounting tape is very very strong, no need for screws. I would give that a try first before drilling holes in the frame.

For future reference, until it gets put on the website, here are the measurements we use for the motor mounts:
AquaCopters is offline Find More Posts by AquaCopters