HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,698 Posts
Just to add I have seen the movie with Jimmy Stewart many times but had never read the book until a couple of years ago. If you haven't read it I recommend you do. Charles was a true hero and this flight was nothing short of a miracle!

I have thought of building Pat Trittle's Sprit but still on my to do list. I'll be watching your gat build.

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:17 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
I read his book years ago, and was duly impressed. Watched the movie again the other day. I always remember the section of the book where he wrote about his mail run days. He was truly a pioneer. His kind do not come around often. That is the spirit of this build.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:35 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving! While family is busy in the kitchen...
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:53 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Very nice work on that spinner. You're using the pre-crossing version then?

Also, when you put that aluminum on the cowl note that the rows of turnings are oriented. I got mine sideways such that the rows are vertical. They should be horizontal and overlaping from the bottom up I think.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:05 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
Very nice work on that spinner. You're using the pre-crossing version then?

Also, when you put that aluminum on the cowl note that the rows of turnings are oriented. I got mine sideways such that the rows are vertical. They should be horizontal and overlaping from the bottom up I think.
Yes, The pre crossing-version. Been studying the original photos so as to get a relatively authentic look. Won't put the tank breathers and other doodads on the wing. Those things are so susceptible to damage.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Working at building up around the strut attachment points, installing the door...
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 25, 2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,118 Posts
Enjoying watching this build! -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Enjoying your Camel!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,389 Posts
Here are some photos that Richard Schnieder sent me a few years ago. He built a control line scale model of the Spirit for the world championships in Europe. Thought these might be of interest to you. He really added details!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Thats a nice model... mine will not be as highly detailed. Maybe handholds on the fuselage. The wind generator cups for the earth inductor compass reminds me of a childs beenie cap with a spinning prop on top. Not sure if I can go there...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Thanks Robert, I have been searching for a 1/8 scale figure. Preferably, one of Lindberg to have for display with the model plane. I've not had much luck. Any ideas?
Phillip57,

In addition to commercial pilot figures, you could consider carving one yourself. I think you could do it. It is not that hard. You can do it in blue foam and paint it with craft store acrylics and get quite an effective pilot. It is more like an 3D impressionist painting than photo-realistic mannequin but the result can be quite convincing, especially in a closed cockpit.

There is an good thread on making pilot figures although it does tend to emphasize a more complicated method involving making molds instead of a one off carving.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...133467&page=22

The following PDF should be considered mandatory reading for figure painting especially the part about painting eye so they don't end up looking goofy.

Good success,
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
If I get bored sometime in February, I might get inspired to do a pilot figure. However, a pilot figure is not what I had in mind. At least not one to go into the cockpit. (I wonder what Amelia Earheart thought of that term) Was thinking of a stand up figure to go with the plane on the flight line.
Thats one hell of a tutorial on pilot painting.... I don't want to do that much work. Took a few days to do MVR, I'm satisfied with him. Most of that time was waiting for paint to dry before giving it another go.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:58 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,457 Posts
Manfred's eyes certainly don't look goofy. He really looks the part. Nice work. Given that result I have no doubt that you could make a very nice standing or sitting figure of a clearly recognizable Lindy.

Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Last edited by Robert R; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
As I recall, an ink eraser pencil chucked into a drill or drill press worked well when making the swirl patterns in aluminum sheet. Results were more subtle and controllable.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
Manfred's eyes certainly don't look goofy. He really looks the part. Nice work. Given that result I have no doubt that you could make a very nice standing or sitting figure of a clearly recognizable Lindy.

Robert
Maybe so, perhaps I can get an eighth scale standing figure to modify. Not going to think about it for a while yet.

Thanks for the tip E-Challenged, I may look into that.