HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:37 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
It was way lighter than the Guillows plastic which isn't saying much. Did it in 6 pieces per the actual SoSL but simply taped the pieces together from the inside rather than flush riveting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=3#post2602773
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:32 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
The aluminum tape would be lighter, with a model this size does it really matter? If I was really concerned about weight , why weren't 1/8 stringer stock used for the longerons.... well, the model ought to have some substance. Wouldn't want it to blow away in a breeze. The 54" tiger moth flipped over in a breeze taxiing back to the flight line after a landing.
The aluminum can sheet would be great if it could be shaped to the curves of the scale model. I want to get the shape of the front end as close to scale as is within my means. I read that the burnishing of the aluminum sheeting on the original was intended to disguise the hammering, and other marks that were required to get it to conform to the design.
I never saw the "Spirit" as being an aesthetically beautiful aircraft. It's the history that captures my imagination. Form follows function, there is beauty in that. There are different kinds of beauty.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Spending a lot of time just staring at the plans... thinking and rethinking things through. I figure the uc mounting blocks don't need to be the width of the fuselage.
This build is very much like the Sig Clip Wing Cub, which was my first RC build, and the model that taught me to fly. She was over engineered by modern e-flight standards, but she may yet see a conversion. I'm through with ic engines.
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:54 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
This build is very much like the Sig Clip Wing Cub, which was my first RC build, and the model that taught me to fly. She was over engineered by modern e-flight standards, but she may yet see a conversion. I'm through with ic engines.
That's a lovely cub. E conversion & FPV? There's a thought!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
The Power 25 ought to give her plenty of reserve.
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 02, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:53 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
The aluminum can sheet would be great if it could be shaped to the curves of the scale model. I want to get the shape of the front end as close to scale as is within my means. I read that the burnishing of the aluminum sheeting on the original was intended to disguise the hammering, and other marks that were required to get it to conform to the design.
I never saw the "Spirit" as being an aesthetically beautiful aircraft. It's the history that captures my imagination. Form follows function, there is beauty in that. There are different kinds of beauty.
In six pieces there are no large compound curves so it wasn't difficult to shape. Yes it does have it's own beauty.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:49 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Moving along a bit at a time...
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:35 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
Just remember, you'll need 10000mah to replicate the flight time, in scale, for your airplane!! Hehehe. Just kidding. Great start. I've been coming back to see the progress when I can. Truly an historical plane. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:25 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
There will be a compression spring in the shock assembly. The uc will be heavier than I'd like, I'm thinking it needs to be, since it will be integral with the airframe. Won't be able to remove it for straightening or replacement.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,955 Posts
Hurst Bower's plans were always seemingly over complex.
Lovely models, I have built most of his over the years.
But one does need do a lot of extra parts.. the 'sprung' suspensions, so typical of his dwgs and genuinely seductive to be fair about it, could be simplified though...IF.. you want to venture beyond the printed paper.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:00 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
I don't know how much more simple the sprung suspension could be... I am not an engineer.... The original kit could've gotten by without suspension. This model, about 1/8 scale weighing between 5 and 6 lbs can use it.
Last edited by phillip57; Nov 05, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:34 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,592 Posts
Not sure how large a swirl you need, but the erasor on the big-honking First Grader pencils, dipped in fine polishing compound, make an excellent swirling tool.

Quote:
We're excited... this aluminum tape was found at the local hardware. A section was applied to the metal jar top, Then a wire brush in the dremmel did the burnishing. Z-Poxy ought to seal, and firm up the surface of the balsa blocks which will make up the nose of the model, which will then be sanded smooth. The aluminum tape applied and burnished. Such is the plan....
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:32 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,641 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Challenger_i..... i like the swirl the dremmel brush gives. It's very close to the first grader pencil eraser.