HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined May 2005
25 Posts
Super, thank you. BTW, I obtained a CD with all the Flyline plans from a seller on eBay. I had bought a kit without plans and Kinkos charged $5 for a sheet that was perfect. I am wondering if the .pdf files on the CD can be enlarged 100% and then be printed; worth a try! Thanks again; I will be following your build. Great work so far.
Liteweight is offline Find More Posts by Liteweight
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteweight View Post
Super, thank you. BTW, I obtained a CD with all the Flyline plans from a seller on eBay. I had bought a kit without plans and Kinkos charged $5 for a sheet that was perfect. I am wondering if the .pdf files on the CD can be enlarged 100% and then be printed; worth a try! Thanks again; I will be following your build. Great work so far.
I believe thats how it's done. Call around the reprographics shops in your area. If you're lucky, you won't have to go far. Which model are you thinking of enlarging?
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:06 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined May 2005
25 Posts
Flyline plans

Not sure which one yet, maybe the Luton Minor or the Robin. The CD is at the office downtown and there is a Kinko's a short walk from there. Last time I e-mailed it and picked it up. Thing is, some of the files are very large so need to keep that in mind. I'll sure let you know how that turns out. Thanks.
Liteweight is offline Find More Posts by Liteweight
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:04 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
The plans call for a solid balsa trailing edge on the wing. I figure a built up one will weigh less. Light balsa was chosen for the ribs, scale spacing as well. The rear spar is light, while hard balsa was chosen for the main.
Last edited by phillip57; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Nice work!
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Mar 2005
246 Posts
FWIW, sez 'ere that the prototype used Clark Y, i.e. no undercamber.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&si....1.mynjLDLLrng

An old maxim from free flight days long ago: "Make it fly - use Clark Y"

Sam
Sam Agassiz is offline Find More Posts by Sam Agassiz
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:01 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
It's not crystal clear in my mind how to proceed with the wing center section, so I'll do the leading and trailing edge sheeting, then set the right half aside. I'll wait until the fuselage is roughed out before proceeding with the wing center section.
Last edited by phillip57; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:03 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
The wing tips are soft balsa.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
We've set aside the wing for now. Realized before it was too late, that if the leading edge sheeting was installed, there would have been a problem joining the main spar.
Last edited by phillip57; Oct 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Mar 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Agassiz View Post
FWIW, sez 'ere that the prototype used Clark Y, i.e. no undercamber.

An old maxim from free flight days long ago: "Make it fly - use Clark Y"

Sam

An interesting story about the Clark Y airfoil and its origins: Virginius Clark was an aeronautical engineer in the WWI era and beyond. Among the early work that he did for NACA was to develop a series of airfoils which were named for him. There was a Clark W, a Clark X, a Clark Y, and a Clark Z. All the airfoils were similar in appearance and performance from our perspective. When Donald Hall (Chief Designer for Mahony-Ryan Aircraft) chose an airfoil, he selected the Clark Y from among the available state of the art sections.

When the Spirit Of St. Louis successfully flew the Atlantic, many new commercial aircraft and models came out loosely based on the same layout. The other Clark airfoils received far less notoriety even though they were nearly the same.

Since that day, modelers have gravitated to the airfoil that the Spirit used. Over the generations most of us have forgotten why we are still using it. It is a good airfoil, but it's popularity is due mostly because that's what Lucky Lindy used.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson! Anything thats relevant, feel free to kick in.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:07 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
826 Posts
Cool story about Clark Y!
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:53 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
We're excited... this aluminum tape was found at the local hardware. A section was applied to the metal jar top, Then a wire brush in the dremmel did the burnishing. Z-Poxy ought to seal, and firm up the surface of the balsa blocks which will make up the nose of the model, which will then be sanded smooth. The aluminum tape applied and burnished. Such is the plan....
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:59 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Why not use actual aluminium and burnish it? For my Guillows conversion I used beer/pop cans turned inside out. You have to sand off the varnish. I replicated the burnishing with a pencil eraser in a drill press.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:14 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
Why not use actual aluminium and burnish it? For my Guillows conversion I used beer/pop cans turned inside out. You have to sand off the varnish. I replicated the burnishing with a pencil eraser in a drill press.
That's a good idea, I'd thought about it. Just looking at options.