HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:29 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Grejen's Avatar
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip57 View Post
Thanks Larry, for posting the Lindberg documentary, it was awesome!

The top section of skin will have to go on after the finished wing is mounted. The way the aluminum curls up to meet the leading edge can't be left to chance.
good call. I made that mistake on my Guillows conversion and never did get it fixed.

The cowl and spinner look great! Your going for the pre Atlantic crossing flight status of the aircraft or just showing of that engine turning ?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Feb 12, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:15 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Chompwat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Phil I know you have very high expectations of yourself, and you should not be at all disappointed. This build is awesome. I can't wait to hear of the maiden and sincerely hope it is videoed for us all to share in the excitement.
Thanks Larry for the documentary I shall watch that after the Mrs has gone to bed tonight!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Registered User
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompwat View Post
Phil I know you have very high expectations of yourself, and you should not be at all disappointed. This build is awesome. I can't wait to hear of the maiden and sincerely hope it is videoed for us all to share in the excitement.
Thanks Larry for the documentary I shall watch that after the Mrs has gone to bed tonight!
Well, I figure one has to have a high expectation, if one is to achieve a halfway decent result. If I were a fastidious person, I might achieve what I visualize. All things being relative, I tend to be lazy and rush through things. I'll be happy with the model in the end, even though I got ca smeared on the engine turned sheeting. LOL! I am my own worst critic...
The 808 hat brim cam will probably record the maiden, such is the intention.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Registered User
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
good call. I made that mistake on my Guillows conversion and never did get it fixed.

The cowl and spinner look great! Your going for the pre Atlantic crossing flight status of the aircraft or just showing of that engine turning ?
Yes, out of the shop newly made is what we're shooting for. Going to imaging I'm

headed for St. Louis on the maiden...
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:35 PM
Registered User
capteasy's Avatar
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Larry - thanks for that video - it was very well done.
I received an issue of AIR &SPACE from the Smithsonian yesterday and featuring a story of Lindbergh getting lost after he retrurned, but have not read it yet.

Dick
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 AM
Tally Ho Chaps!
Chompwat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
Larry - thanks for that video - it was very well done.
I received an issue of AIR &SPACE from the Smithsonian yesterday and featuring a story of Lindbergh getting lost after he retrurned, but have not read it yet.

Dick
Agh!!!! Can't watch it in the UK.
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:40 PM
Registered User
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
The ca smear came off easily with ca debonder. A few drops in a paper towel, and it rubbed right off!
The shocks are a bit stiff, they'll give in case of a hard lading. There won't be a nice fluid motion during taxiing.
I looked for a correct scale figure today, just none to be found. Well... I used to carve faces on snowballs as a kid.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Last edited by phillip57; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such detailed and instructive images and commentary on your build and the things you're learning along the way. The model looks beautiful and threads like this help us all to become better modelers.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
Registered User
Pat Daily's Avatar
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,410 Posts
Really looking good!
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
Robert R's Avatar
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such detailed and instructive images and commentary on your build and the things you're learning along the way. The model looks beautiful and threads like this help us all to become better modelers.
+1
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:08 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Shnokey's Avatar
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,123 Posts
Me too! - - Looking wonderful -
Shnokey is offline Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:40 AM
Registered User
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
How is a soft balsa strut going to hold the brass tab? I'm gambling this will work...A hinge slotting tool was used to put a slot in the end of the strut for the brass attachment point. Aluminum can skin was ca'd to one side at the strut end. A hole drilled through the strut end, ca flowed into the hole, then tapped for a 4-40 nylon bolt. The bolt threads tight up against the aluminum skin, the strut will be wrapped with doculam. I feel this will hold up to flight stress.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Spirit of St Louis Hossinarizona Scale Kit/Scratch Built 5 Sep 21, 2012 08:03 PM
For Sale Spirit of St. Louis wildskies Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 26, 2012 02:31 PM
Discussion Spirit of St. Louis / Cub STRINGFLY Scale Kit/Scratch Built 1 Aug 04, 2012 02:08 PM
Sold Spirit of St.Louis by Graupner jricchio Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 18, 2012 08:28 PM
Wanted Flyline Spirit of St. Louis apage Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jun 05, 2012 09:31 AM